Anyone training for half marathons?

Options
My first half marathon is in April in Scranton, PA. Anyone else training?
Any tips for a first timer?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My next half is in May, so I'll start training in February.

Which training plan are you following?
  • bfredericks
    bfredericks Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I’m using the 21K app and doing strength training on off days.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I ran my first and only Half Marathon about a year and a half ago (@ 61). First, congratulations, since this is your first, you're going to have a Personal Best at the distance. Second, find a training plan and follow it as closely as reasonable. Three, your training pace will be slower than your race pace, mine had a full minute a mile difference. Four, enjoy the training and enjoy the "race". Race is a euphemism for group run where I'll probably do my best. If I didn't enjoy the whole experience, I don't think I would have finished it. (2:17:10)
  • gettingfitSteph
    gettingfitSteph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It is a complete mental game more than physical. Make sure you train and follow your training plan - which includes any fuelings when needed- apply them at the same time during the race. Nothing new on race day so plan ahead. (socks, shoes, bra, etc. ) that way you avoid the blisters or chaffing that can happen. Work on your hip motion during your strength straining and your core. Try to do at least a 2 minute plank... Enjoy it! It is a thrill. All the people cheering you along the way and when you cross that finish line... it's the best feeling ever.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I did a trail half in August. I have a few shorter races lined up over the next few months, and will be looking for another half in the Spring.
    I don't really worry about the time, just relax, walk if you need to, and enjoy. Feels amazing when you've done it.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    My first is 12 days away! I've followed the Hal Higdon Novice 1 HM training plan with a few tweaks (mainly because I found running on 3 consecutive days was too much for my dodgy knees and shins). For that reason I've also had to resort to employing a run 9 minute, walk 1 minute routine which seems to be working very well. I'll never be fast but tbh I'm not that bothered about speed. Mind you, I've noticed my pace has increased over the weeks.
    It's a learning curve and you'll find out while training what works for you through trial and error (which is all part of the fun!) I already have another one earmarked for March :-)
    You have plenty of time to prepare, for now IMO the most important thing is to gradually increase your mileage so it doesn't come as too much of a shock to the system when you get to the final stages.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    How much experience do you have with running in general? I think the advice for someone who has never run before is different from someone who runs regularly but hasn't run a half yet.
  • bfredericks
    Options
    I’ve been running for 2 years. I do a lot of 5k races and did a 10 mile race in March.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I’ve been running for 2 years. I do a lot of 5k races and did a 10 mile race in March.

If you can run 10 miles, you can do a half! :bigsmile:
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Yup. My next one is at the end of February, so I'm giving myself a few weeks of just doing baseline mileage before kicking back up into high gear at the end of the year.
  • apullum
    Options

If you can run 10 miles, you can do a half! :bigsmile:

Yeah, you're probably good to train for a half. Some HM training plans even have 10 miles as the longest training run, though I am glad I did a 13 mile training run before my first half. It wasn't necessary for my physical training, but it gave me the psychological boost because I knew I was capable of covering that distance.

If you think you'll need fuel during your race, you should train with whatever you plan to use. Get a few different gels/chews/etc. at your local running store and try them out. Not everyone eats during a half, but speaking as a solidly mediocre runner, I eat a couple of gels over that distance. You should try out all of your race day gear on a long run before the race, but at this point you probably have clothes and other things figured out. Fuel doesn't really come into play until you get into longer runs.

Also, be prepared to replace shoes more often. HM training puts some mileage on a pair of shoes.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    My first half marathon is 4/28 at Stirling Castle in Scotland. I started with the Fat to First Mile program then start in on a Hal Higdon plan in two weeks. I work with a personal trainer once a week and do cardio kickboxing and yoga a few times a week. I'm not worried about the running - if I have to walk, I won't be upset. My goal is to finish, uninjured. My biggest worry is food. I'm concerned the food there will be quite different than what I have available to me here. I don't want an upset stomach on race day.
  • bfredericks
    Options
    @apullum I use the GU gels for long runs.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I was planning to run the San Antonio 1/2 that’s this weekend. I changed my mind and decided on the Austin 1/2 in February. I am just completing the training plan I was using. Next week I’ll start the plan over and I will finish it right on time for Austin. I enjoy the structure of a training plan. I’m following the Hal Higdon HM3 plan. I picked this plan because it allows me to continue cycling and gives my aging body a little more time to recover.
    If you have already done 10 miles you’ll be fine and will really enjoy your race.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    My first half marathon is 4/28 at Stirling Castle in Scotland. I started with the Fat to First Mile program then start in on a Hal Higdon plan in two weeks. I work with a personal trainer once a week and do cardio kickboxing and yoga a few times a week. I'm not worried about the running - if I have to walk, I won't be upset. My goal is to finish, uninjured. My biggest worry is food. I'm concerned the food there will be quite different than what I have available to me here. I don't want an upset stomach on race day.

Debra - bring what you need from home i.e. bagels, or instant oatmeal, or a protein bar. Bring your own gels or shot bloks. I have a friend who races on Krispy Kreme donuts and Mountain Dew that she brings in her suitcase. For your meals the day before, just do the best you can to find food that doesn't have too much fat or fiber. Also, bring a rain jacket. You may get rain for your race.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I love half marathons!

Is Scranton the area where you live? If not, be prepared for a LOT of hills. You don’t need to do anything super special, but make sure you’re running on hills (up and down) consistently in your training. If you’re in Scranton (or thereabouts) and training in Scranton, you’re all set.
  • apullum
    Options

Debra - bring what you need from home i.e. bagels, or instant oatmeal, or a protein bar. Bring your own gels or shot bloks. I have a friend who races on Krispy Kreme donuts and Mountain Dew that she brings in her suitcase. For your meals the day before, just do the best you can to find food that doesn't have too much fat or fiber. Also, bring a rain jacket. You may get rain for your race.

I have so many questions about this.

Don't the donuts get stale? I mean, I'm not a fan of Krispy Kreme when they're fresh, but I can't imagine they're that good after being in a suitcase for a day or two.

Do all her running clothes smell like donut?

Original glazed or something more exciting?

Donut holes or whole donuts?

And has she considered running the Krispy Kreme Challenge?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Since you're already running 10 miles HM is very doable.

There's a chance I'll be in Scranton in October for the Steamtown Marathon. If I don't do it this year I will definitely do it next year.

Good luck.
  • albryce744
    albryce744 Posts: 22 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I'm thinking about running a 1/2 in cincinnati in early may. If I do, I'm going to join a training program that a local running store does. It helps me to have someone or some thing that will hold me accountable. (especially in the winter)

Good luck!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    Yes ... training for my first half-marathon in January.