Why wont my lover go exercising with me!

Options
So my fiancee works all day, sometimes nights walking on his feet all day, dealing with lumber, helping customers etc.
So he is obviously tired and sore understandable
Is is unfair to want him to come on walks or runs with me?
They are like 30min tops, I just hate going alone, and our best conversations are when we go on walks together
because he isnt distracted by anything
And my friends arent really the exercising type
He will say he is so tired and doesnt want to do anything
yet he will go on the computer or his phone goofing off for endless hours??

I need some advice

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I work on my feet all day too and honestly, there are some nights when I am just too dang tired to take another walk or run.

I want to come home, sit in front of my computer or tv and do NOTHING.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he needs/wants some man cave time. Mine does the same thing. So I let him have a little while and then ask him once he's had a little time to himself. Sometimes it works. Sometimes not. Depends on how hard his day was.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Dont Push him.... if he does not want to walk/jog with you.... bugging him to do it will only cause un necessary frustrations after a long day at work
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Have you told him what you told us? Make sure he knows how important it is to you.
    Also, it wouldn't hurt to find a way to reward him for going with you...

PS: The topic of this thread reminds me of that Will Farrell/Rachael Dratch skit on SNL...love it.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I think a few walks a week seems reasonable, but runs might just be too much exertion for him. Maybe you could agree on a # of days to walk together, and then let him pick which days he goes, and which days he stays home?
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I need some advice
    Do his job for a week and see whether you feel like walking after that.

But if he's spending all his home time online or on the phone to friends, to the point where he's neglecting to spend any quality time with you, you'll have to tell him straight that you need some of his time.
  • lanettecream
    Options
    Keep inviting him, but get some music and learn to enjoy it. I carry pepper spray. You have to do what is right for you, and you can't force someone else to change if they aren't ready to. Get out and set a good example, and just keep asking. Accept no, smile, and get on out there!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I would like to work out with my wife, but she likes to do it on her own schedule.
    She works out more than me though, so if we did work out together it would be tough.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

READ: BJ's
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options

READ: BJ's

Precisely.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between running for half an hour and goofing around on the internet for hours. Running is tiring, goofing is not for a tart >_< It's very elfish of you to try and make him come out with you so You feel better when he' obviously tired and doesn't want to. He's even told you he' too tired but YOU want him to come with YOU so YOU feel better about YOUR workout. Which part of this is in his bet interest? None of it. As such it's entirely selfish.
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    He may just want to be able to do something that he wants to do on his own. An activity that nobody required/requested him to do. In short, a time to himself.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I think you should say exactly what you just said in this post to him. Communication is key.
  • SimplyFreckled
    SimplyFreckled Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Give the working man a break, he works hard for that green paper! Why don't you just walk to the kitchen and make him a sandwich?! 2 birds.. 1 stone!
  • mpcass
    mpcass Posts: 86
    Options
    I work on my feet all day too, and exercising in the evening is the only time I have so I do it. I have found that if I come home change and go to work out it is better for me. However if I get home and sit down I'm done for the night. So, maybe. If you make it like a date as soon as he gets home, before relaxation mode settles in, it might work better for both you. Hope this helps.
  • pandabuhr79
    Options
    yeah it sounds like he just wants/needs to unwind w/ online/tv and stuff. my husband gets like that and i for SURE get like that, especially after a long day - i don't want to talk or even be bothered to humor him when he's all chatty cathy. i mean i DO it, but MAN i just want to catch up on my crappy tv and let my brain rest for a min. maybe think of your walks as good alone time for you when he doesn't go with you? maybe bring an ipod or something w/ a new album on it to enjoy? i guess just try to put yourself in his shoes. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I need some advice
    Do his job for a week and see whether you feel like walking after that.

But if he's spending all his home time online or on the phone to friends, to the point where he's neglecting to spend any quality time with you, you'll have to tell him straight that you need some of his time.

My advice exactly.

My husband works a physically demanding job. I don't expect him to keep my company while I work out. He's exhausted when he gets home.

In the past, when I had a physically demanding job, I enjoyed walking the dog after work as a way to clear my head. But that's me, not him and not your fiance. Different people unwind in different ways.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Give the working man a break, he works hard for that green paper! Why don't you just walk to the kitchen and make him a sandwich?! 2 birds.. 1 stone!

Wouldn't that be one bird(rooster) and 2 stones?
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between running for half an hour and goofing around on the internet for hours. Running is tiring, goofing is not for a tart >_< It's very elfish of you to try and make him come out with you so You feel better when he' obviously tired and doesn't want to. He's even told you he' too tired but YOU want him to come with YOU so YOU feel better about YOUR workout. Which part of this is in his bet interest? None of it. As such it's entirely selfish.

My husband works in 100+ degree weather all day, helps with the kids and dinner, and told me he would walk with me and support me in any way even though he thinks I would still be sexy if I gained another 50 lbs! It is a great time to spend together without all the distractions.
  • lailenm
    lailenm Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Whenever I suggest going for a walk or something to my boyfriend, he turns it down, but I put on my shoes, grab my iPod and do it anyway 'cause I know I gotta do this for me, even if I would enjoy some company every now and again.