Losing friends

Options
leahhope051174
leahhope051174 Posts: 16 Member
edited November 2018 in Motivation and Support
One person told me I have become a witch (but with a "b") since losing weight. Another person told me I talk about it too much. I feel like it's become such a huge part of my life that I should talk about it occasionly. I have also had people tell me I've inspired them by talking about it. So I don't discuss it ever on social media or anywhere anymore. Not at all. A couple friends don't invite me to bars anymore. I am assuming they think it won't fit my new fitness regime. But I still like to drop a few beers back. Anyone else losing friends and finding jealousy out there?

Replies

• MoStacy
    MoStacy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. MFP is a great platform with people who have a empathy. Focus on the positive people ;). Congratulations on your weighy loss achievements!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    It always sucks when the people around you aren't supportive. But honestly if your friends are giving you feel for getting your health and diet in order, they don't sound like such great friends. Maybe this will lead you to some newer, better friends who will support you in this journey.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Amazing isn't it, to find out people you were positive would have your back no matter what... Well they did until you did the unthinkable you did something for you, all about you. And left them where ever. I have lost two what I thought were pretty darn good friends. I just got fed up(pardon the pun) and asked them what the hell was up with how they were acting. I was not carrying on about my lifestyle change, not preaching to them, in anyway.

I was told, I made them feel guilty, because if they were going out anywhere they had to consider would the place have anything for me to eat. And could not pick any of their favorite places. I was like did I ask you to do this? Ask me to go, tell me where I will let you know if I can make it or not. I decided I did not want their drama at all.
  • PartyKardy
    PartyKardy Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The only friends I’ve lost are people who had me as their “gay friend” not their actual friend.
    Once they saw me as their equal they didn’t want to be around me anymore.

Or once my lifestyle became proof for them that their weight loss failures were their own issue.

They can GTFO honestly. I don’t have time for that
  • roniqua24
    roniqua24 Posts: 14 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    They're just mad that they don't have the willpower to accomplish whatever they set out to do. You do you and let them do them. I rather eliminate them with the rest of crappy food from my diet. i can only imagine the amount of confidence you gain by losing weight. Embrace it. Lords knows I cant wait to stick with it and really reach goal. Plenty of friends here! Maybe some people are close to you.
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Hey you should be happy, they were never really your friends to begin with, now you don't have to waste your energy on people who don't deserve it:) Focus on you and what makes you happy, and the real friends will always be there, and I'm sure you'll meet some new like minded people too
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Your success reminds them of their own failures. It plays into their own insecurities. In their defense, while you might be so happy with your success that you choose to talk it about it with your friends all the time, they may just want their friend back. Talk to them about the same things you talked to them about before. Some of your friends may be jealous of your success, others may feel like you have changed so much that you no longer have things in common with them.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we just "outgrow" our friends. Or they "outgrow" us. We develop new interests and routines, relationship statuses change, work demands change. I know I've sort of cycled through friend groups a few times in my adult life. Probably most notably, a lot of old friendships faded away when the girlfriends I'd had through my 30's started having kids. I don't have, and never wanted to have kids, so once their kids came along we just didn't have much in common anymore. They've moved on and made mom-friends and I've got a circle of mostly other childfree people. Maybe it's just time to find friends whose interests are more in line with who you are now?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Nope!