anyone else overeat when sick?

I have had this terrible cold for 7 days and of course I want to run to food to feel better. All it does is make me feel guilty and disappoined.

I recently lost 30 lbs and dont want to sabotage. I have been going to hard candy and those calories can add up. I went tonight and got some 5 calorie vitamin c drops so I dont do so much damage.

I guess it is a bad habit, anyone been able to resolve this. I guess I want to run to food with anything emotional. I have a habit of thinking food will take care of this.

Replies

• aortegasep
    aortegasep Posts: 30 Member
    I guess it depends on what kind of food you look for at that situations. Soups are great for colds, candy dont think so.
  • littlebear0121
    littlebear0121 Posts: 1,073 Member
    I have a similar problem--I make healthy choices when sick, but too much.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    I'm the opposite. Can't eat when I'm sick.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    It depends. I usually just want clear soup and veggies, but my last bout with the cold, I just wanted to eat everything in sight. I logged what I ate. It was just a bit above my maintenance calories. It was only two days.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I want to binge eat on hard candy all day which makes me half sick and lots of calories. It is a bad habit. Eating makes me numb and I don't feel pain just like emotional stuff, same thing. I need healthier habits. I am going to try to stop this right now before I sabotage the 30 lbs I just lost. For those who have the problem, let me know healthier ways to cope. Take a Benadryl, put vicks on, hot tea, hot bath. It is crazy I think all that candy would make me well. I know in my head this will pass but I sure want to go to food like candy at a time like this to not feel pain rather than look for healthy solutions to this problem. I need to feel pain and find healthy solutions.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited November 2018
    I get super ravenous when I have a cold too, the sensation of food going down usually temporarily eases my symptoms which is why I do it. I notice I too also reach for the candy. I've found diet soda to be a huge help when i'm sick, I can't stand the taste of normal water when i'm not feeling well and it gives my throat some relief plus the sweetness of the soda helps with that craving and the best part....? Zero calories. I just sit there with a straw and literally drink all day until it feels better. The extra hydration also seems to get me over the cold quicker. Hot steamy baths always help too. Get lots of rest and hopefully someone can also make you some homemade chicken soup. I hope you feel better soon, colds suck!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    I have had this terrible cold for 7 days and of course I want to run to food to feel better. All it does is make me feel guilty and disappoined.

I recently lost 30 lbs and dont want to sabotage. I have been going to hard candy and those calories can add up. I went tonight and got some 5 calorie vitamin c drops so I dont do so much damage.

I guess it is a bad habit, anyone been able to resolve this. I guess I want to run to food with anything emotional. I have a habit of thinking food will take care of this.

There would be many people who eat less when ill, or perhaps don't eat at all. You're the opposite, so some of us won't have a solution for that.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    brenn24179 wrote: »

Anyone else overeat when sick?

For me - Never - I wish! You're fortunate that your appetite is not the least bit affected when you're under the weather. How are you with your hydration volumes?

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I know my hubby doesnt overeat when sick or emotional but I am the opposite. When I have a cold I crave potato chips, hard candy, sausage gravy, all this is so soothing. Yep I can drink but diet coke is hard on throat, so I do tea and coffee. I did have a flu last winter and had no appetite and that scared me to death, never happens to me and after that is when I gained 25 lbs, ate everything in sight.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,310 Member
    I get a horrendous appetite right before I get sick. I crave comfort foods so much. this last time I didn't have any high calorie foods in the house but a long time ago I used to crave mashed potatoes & chili lol.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I usually make soup when sick. Very veggie heavy and add a can of chicken. I'll also do hot tea and saltines. I had bronchitis last year and I mostly wanted coffee with Irish cream liqueur lol. We did go out to eat and I got hot water with lemon. When I had the flu I mostly wanted saltines. I didn't gain weight with either illness. The flu was harder to recover from. For a cold, eating spicy food helps you breathe better and so does light activity (like walking). Don't push too hard or you risk prolonging your recovery time.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Man Brenn I’m actually jealous. I’ve been down a week with some croopy cough and I didn’t wanna eat anything.

I’m now on the upswing and was able to eat today. Seems appetite came roaring back lol.

• littlebear0121
    littlebear0121 Posts: 1,073 Member
    Horseradish seems to help me when I have a cold.
  • glamorousAdvocate
    glamorousAdvocate Posts: 15 Member
    edited November 2018
    Please remember that, when you're sick, your body is using up a lot of nutrients and energy to fight the infection of whatever is making you sick. You're going to need more calories and nutrients to keep it going. A fever alone burns quite a lot of calories, almost like exercising. When you're sick, the important thing is to give your body what it needs without going too far overboard, get plenty of bed rest, and take care of yourself, but forgive yourself if what you instinctually need is a little more than usual. Your body is working hard for you, so it might be a little bit demanding. You can always get back on track once you're feeling better.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    smantha32 wrote: »
    I'm the opposite. Can't eat when I'm sick.

Me neither. Sickness and stress curbs my appetite, and if I eat I prefer soups, salads, yogurt or some fruit.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    I'm another one that loses their appetite when unwell however in the past this was followed by a corresponding feeding frenzy when I got better. Now I'm able to return to a relatively normal eating pattern following illness with perhaps one slightly larger 're-feed' meal.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Not really, as a head cold tends to diminish my sense of smell, which is a huge part of "tasting" food. I mostly want lots of liquids because I feel dehydrated, and I mostly go for tea and diluted orange juice. I'll do soup, because that feels soothing and can help clear nasal congestion. Sometime I like something really spicy, since I'll be able to taste that a bit. And I hope I don't end up with weeks of spasmodic coughing triggered by (among other things) eating anything solid, which I've gotten a few times, and ended up living on liquids, gelatin, and thin mashed potatoes until I recover.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Oh hell yeah! Bring on the pity party.