Higher weights = gained muscle?

My sets were getting too easy so I raised the weight by 10 to 20 lbs. Does getting stronger = muscle gain?

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    great work! yes, increase the weights as they get easier :) progressive overload = muscles gained!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited November 2018
    getting stronger doesnt always mean muscle growth. like those in a deficit (not recomp area) and lifting heavy,they wont gain much if any muscle (outside of newbie gains,getting back to lifting or they have good genetics). They can get stronger without building much if any muscle. you can build muscle and not get stronger and vice versa.But as long as you are progressing then keep going and as long as you are happy and seeing results thats all that should matter .

do a search and you will see many threads about this
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2018
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Strength increase does not necessarily mean muscle gains. It can come from neuromuscular adaptation (rate coding and fiber recruitment), and it can also come from your technique becoming more efficient. At some point one will get bigger to get stronger, but you can’t define exactly when and how it’s that rather than one of the above factors.

Agreed.

Just because one puts more weight on the lifts, doesn't equate more muscle or strength for that matter.

Technique will improve as you perform a particular lift more, therefore your more efficient at the lift.

Fatigue can disapate during a pivot, washout, or deload week. This means you would be able to lift more, not neccessarily you are actually stronger than previous week.

Strength can help achieve muscle mass, but it's not a given.

One can achieve hypertrophy on a lower intensity relative to one's 1RM than the intensity needed to increase one's 1RM.

In other words maybe, maybe not. There are many variables involved. Just train at a useful intensity within a rep scheme of your programming for your goals.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Feb - BP 139lb
    Mar - BP 161lb
    Apr - BP 174lb
    Jul - BP 186lb
    Sep - BP190lb
    Nov - BP 220lb

As others have said - maybe!

Above is my bench press progress from when I got back into training, initial rapid progress is going to be mainly CNS adaptation (better use of what I already had). Then the rate of increase tails off and the blend of adaptation and hypertrophy is changing more towards hypertrophy being needed to drive increase in weights.
    The blip upwards from Sep to Nov was mainly as a result of improving my technique.

But increasing strength is a good sign, keep on keeping on.

Really nice! I'm hovering at 135, any tips to improve to 220?
  • Chieflrg
    Feb - BP 139lb
    Mar - BP 161lb
    Apr - BP 174lb
    Jul - BP 186lb
    Sep - BP190lb
    Nov - BP 220lb

Above is my bench press progress from when I got back into training, initial rapid progress is going to be mainly CNS adaptation (better use of what I already had). Then the rate of increase tails off and the blend of adaptation and hypertrophy is changing more towards hypertrophy being needed to drive increase in weights.
    The blip upwards from Sep to Nov was mainly as a result of improving my technique.

Useful volume increased or decreased depending on your regulation. I made the mistake of running Wendler's a few ywars ago. Very low volume and intensity is fairly low as written.

When I changed to better programming with appropriate volume/intensity for my needs, the top sets started to move.

I'm in the 350 range now.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Feb - BP 139lb
    Mar - BP 161lb
    Apr - BP 174lb
    Jul - BP 186lb
    Sep - BP190lb
    Nov - BP 220lb

@tirowow12385

For technique have a search on YouTube for "Jennifer Thompson Bench Press 101" tutorials.
    Changing technique from my customary flat back style was responsible my late year jump in weights, also stopped hurting myself quite so much. ;)
    Nothing complicated in my programming to get to 100kg/220lbs, just benching mostly x3 a week.

To get beyond that I did get expert help with programming but unfortunately I seem to hit an injury limit at 110kg/242lbs - old shoulder and chest injuries from when I was young and (even more) foolish.....

• JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Feb - BP 139lb
    Mar - BP 161lb
    Apr - BP 174lb
    Jul - BP 186lb
    Sep - BP190lb
    Nov - BP 220lb

Useful volume increased or decreased depending on your regulation. I made the mistake of running Wendler's a few ywars ago. Very low volume and intensity is fairly low as written.

When I changed to better programming with appropriate volume/intensity for my needs, the top sets started to move.

Agree. Though you should check out Wendler's "Forever" book. Some big changes and additions to volume and programming.
  • Chieflrg
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »
    Feb - BP 139lb
    Mar - BP 161lb
    Apr - BP 174lb
    Jul - BP 186lb
    Sep - BP190lb
    Nov - BP 220lb

Agree. Though you should check out Wendler's "Forever" book. Some big changes and additions to volume and programming.

My programming is written for me specifically. Where his changes could work for some(even before changes), from everything I've read/studied before "Forever", his previous programming is lacking the volume within the range of average intensity's sweet spot most people respond to.

Cliff notes on his changes? What is the average intensity range now?

• JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »
    Feb - BP 139lb
    Mar - BP 161lb
    Apr - BP 174lb
    Jul - BP 186lb
    Sep - BP190lb
    Nov - BP 220lb

My programming is written for me specifically. Where his changes could work for some(even before changes), from everything I've read/studied before "Forever", his previous programming is lacking the volume within the range of average intensity's sweet spot most people respond to.

Cliff notes on his changes? What is the average intensity range now?

Sounds like you have a coach, which is definitely ideal.

Hopefully I can do this justice.
    - Core of his principles remain, use a Training Max (85% - 90%), err on the side of too light
    - Main work sets range from 65% to 95%
    - Supplemental work can be at 100%+ of Training Max, some programs encourage heavy singles (depends on program)
    - Some supplemental work is sub-max focusing on Volume (depends on the program)
    - Better management of training blocks with his Leader / Anchor micro blocks - similar to accumulation and intensification phases
    - Better Deload management, now called 7th Week Protocol

I had stepped away from 531 for a while as well and the Forever book was impressive and I really like the changes he made. PM direct if you have any questions about it.