It's cold outside - Hot chocolate before bed

Options
I'm working out most days - cardio or strength and skip dessert at dinner time. Lately, I've been craving something sweet before bed and given the cold dark weather, hot chocolate hits the spot. Honestly, it's become a habit I so was wondering - If chocolate milk is good for you after a workout, are there any positive recovery effects from having hot chocolate right before going to sleep?

Replies

• candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    just brush your teeth first!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    If it helps you sleep then that's positive!

I often like to have a hot chocolate with a scoop of protein powder blended in, it helps me reach my protein intake, which in turn helps with workout recovery and muscle maintenance.

If it fits your calorie (and macro goals if you have any) then there's nothing wrong with satisfying a craving.

• maylingsmom
    maylingsmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have made sure I have adequate "leftover" calories so that I can have hot chocolate late in the day (but not right before bed). I use 1% milk with 1 1/2 tbsps chocolate syrup. It satisfies my sweets craving.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Hot chocolate makes me drowsy, so it would be the perfect before bed snack to ease off the sweets craving. I used to drink a serving of chocolate milk after my bootcamp classes. I'm not sure if it helped much, they were pretty brutal, but it tasted great.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if you have the calories, and you like it, go for it. it should not have any detrimental effects
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have white chocolate peppermint tea that works for my sweet tooth. And it's awesome because it doesn't need sugar so it's zero calories. Like everyone else said, if you can fit the hot chocolate into your daily calories, then go for it. But the tea might be a good alternative for the days your calorie budget is maxed.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,898 Member
    Options
    mimc66 wrote: »
    I'm working out most days - cardio or strength and skip dessert at dinner time. Lately, I've been craving something sweet before bed and given the cold dark weather, hot chocolate hits the spot. Honestly, it's become a habit I so was wondering - If chocolate milk is good for you after a workout, are there any positive recovery effects from having hot chocolate right before going to sleep?

There's nothing wrong with a hot chocolate if you're enjoying it, it fits your calorie goal, and it isn't driving out other necessary nutrition.

Chocolate milk is a reasonable post-workout snack (protein, carbs, fluid), so hot chocolate should be a reasonable post-workout snack, too. It's pretty much the same thing, only maybe sweeter. It's not clear to me from your post whether you work out right before bed.

If not, then hot chocolate being a good post-workout snack is pretty irrelevant . . . and generally, nutrient timing is pretty meaningless for sub-elites, anyway, unless it affects your personal energy level in some clearly observable way.

As far as whether it's a good bedtime snack, if it fits into your eating goals, you enjoy it, and the sugar/stimulants don't interfere with your sleep, then it's a good bedtime snack for you. It doesn't need to have some fitness benefit in order to be OK.
  • nstock
    nstock Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you’re worried about the added calories, I love tea. Loose leaf tea has so many different options, and often taste like a sweet treat too! I’ve had almond flavour, strawberry rhubarb and some that taste like chocolate
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there's any health benefits to it but if it makes you happy, carry on!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Not sure if they're available elsewhere but I have a Jarrah hot chocolate drink pretty much every night.

My favourites are the Classic, Mint Madness and Rocky Road. All between 45-60 calories and taste amazing.
  • jean133mjg
    jean133mjg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Where do you get the Jarrah hot chocolate drink?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    When it's really cold, I love hot chocolate when we get home after walking the dog. He gets a final walk around 11:00 pm, and that hot chocolate warms me up wonderfully. I'll also sometimes drink it after a run or after his morning walk. Swiss Miss instant is 90 - 160 calories, and I make it fit my calorie budget.
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have instant hot chocolate that mixes in water not milk. Tons of healthier ones around with different tastes etc, lots with 30 - 40 calories per cup so could be fitted in a lot easier.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    I have instant hot chocolate that mixes in water not milk. Tons of healthier ones around with different tastes etc, lots with 30 - 40 calories per cup so could be fitted in a lot easier.

I don't enjoy those at all, I'd rather make room for a proper one less often :lol:
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options

I don't enjoy those at all, I'd rather make room for a proper one less often :lol:

Plus it is relaxing to stand in the kitchen slowing stirring the homemade cocoa. It helps prep you for bed.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Hot cocoa on the brain right now - great on a cold winter night!

My fav recipe-
    Aztec Dark Hot Cocoa

1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate (I use low sugar variety or 70%)
    2 cups of milk of choice
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 ground vanilla bean
    dash of salt
    1 chili pepper 🌶
    Sugar or sugar substitute optional (to taste)

INSTRUCTIONS

Melt the chocolate with a little of the milk in a small pot over medium heat. Whisk in the remaining milk, the cinnamon, vanilla, sugar (if desired) and dash of salt. Add the chili pepper to the pot and bring the pot almost to a boil. Remove the pot from the heat and let it sit for 10 mins. Remove and discard the chili pepper.

Et voila spicy cozy hot cocoa! Wish I had some right now!

Ps - there is some caffeine in dark chocolate but the warmth of the beverage puts me to sleep. 💤