Are you using MFP to track macros or calories?

Options
I haven't been on the message boards in awhile but it seems like the interest in low-carb has really exploded since I first joined MFP in 2013. It seemed like we were all mostly using the app for calorie tracking at that time. Have things changed with the increased interest in keto/LCHF/low-carb? Just curious. I have maintained my goal weight 5+ years so I plan to keep on keepin' on either way.

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    When I started in 2014, low carb (particularly super low carb/keto) was not nearly as hot as now, but counting macros was popular. I recall people talking about it and discussions about how to set macros (with a focus on protein, but I think there was more focus on fat and carbs being specific numbers/percentages than there is now among non low carbers).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    When I first started in 2007 it was all I could do to stay within calories.

I tried to keep eating the same way that had led to my being obese, and was surprised at how little protein and how much in carbs I was eating.

The journey to balanced macros was a long one for me. I changed the way I eat, but not without a struggle.

Now I try to hit my macros pretty closely, as I found I feel better if I do and it's easier to maintain my weight loss when I get enough protein, fat, and fiber. I just use the default macros.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Right now neither. But sometimes I do use it to track my daily protein or do a calorie check.

In the past I used to enter my food (I did not weigh or measure just picked random entries), then to help me gain I tracked more accurately at one point.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    calories only
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Calories, protein, and fiber for me. Calories to lose weight, protein & fiber for satiety and health. I wasn't active on the forums back then, so I can't compare.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    When I started in 2014, low carb (particularly super low carb/keto) was not nearly as hot as now, but counting macros was popular. I recall people talking about it and discussions about how to set macros (with a focus on protein, but I think there was more focus on fat and carbs being specific numbers/percentages than there is now among non low carbers).

^ This is how I remember things as well.

For me personally: I count calories for weight management, hit my protein, fat tends to take care of itself and carbs fall where they may (usually 150+).
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I track calories and let the macros fall where they may. That's kept me maintaining my goal weight for coming up on 18 years. I know protein has been centered as very critical to hit a minimum, but right now, I'm not.
  • beast_kitty89
    beast_kitty89 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm tracking everything that is free to track. Trying to get healthier, control my type 2 diabetes and lose weight. I also wanna see how what I'm eating is affecting my blood sugar. Low carb anything or high fat is indeed the new thing to do. I tried LCHF and keto because they were the new thing.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I primarily track calories, but some days I will check my carbs so I don't go over the percentage I have it set at.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I feel like low carb was big long before 2013 (remember the Atkins craze?), but it seems to always go through cycles where it dies and then comes back to life in a new iteration. The last year or so, Keto has gotten really big, so there is more of that in the community now.

MFP always seems to strike an interesting balance, since calories in/calories out is its main thing, but it makes a lot of its money from selling people on premium memberships, where being able to set your own macros is a big benefit of it. So it has to also cater to those type of diets.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Calories, protein, and fiber for me. Calories to lose weight, protein & fiber for satiety and health. I wasn't active on the forums back then, so I can't compare.

Same priorities for me for my own tracking. My recollection of the 2013 forums is that the volume of discussion on macros was roughly the same, but that it was more focused on protein or how important and how much room for their error there was in hitting one's macro percentages, rather than aiming specifically for LCHF or keto allotments.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    In terms of macros, I only pay attention to protein. I routinely get more than enough fiber, but if I didn’t, I’d keep an eye on that too. However, calories are still the top priority for managing weight.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have been logging my food and it keeps track of calories and macros, so both. But I mostly care about calories.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I feel like low carb was big long before 2013 (remember the Atkins craze?), but it seems to always go through cycles where it dies and then comes back to life in a new iteration. The last year or so, Keto has gotten really big, so there is more of that in the community now.

MFP always seems to strike an interesting balance, since calories in/calories out is its main thing, but it makes a lot of its money from selling people on premium memberships, where being able to set your own macros is a big benefit of it. So it has to also cater to those type of diets.

OK, but in what way do you see MFP (the entity that hosts the site and sells premium memberships) catering to particular types of diets? Any changes in the food database entries are crowd-sourced at this point. The community forum discussions are pretty much all crowd-sourced except for the occasional shutting down, cleaning up, or moving threads by moderators (who, as I understand it, are MFP-approved volunteers, not MFP employees). I don't see any big shifts in software features, much less any such changes that seem aimed at a particular diet. About the only place MFP could be catering to one diet or another would be in the MFP-created or curated blog posts. I can't make a judgment about them since I haven't read them for years and turned off the email delivery, because there was just way too much hooey in them for my tastes. ("Hooey" is the old folks' term for "woo.")
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I use MFP primarily to track calories. I do use it to make sure I’m getting enough protein as well though.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    summery79 wrote: »
    I haven't been on the message boards in awhile but it seems like the interest in low-carb has really exploded since I first joined MFP in 2013. It seemed like we were all mostly using the app for calorie tracking at that time. Have things changed with the increased interest in keto/LCHF/low-carb? Just curious. I have maintained my goal weight 5+ years so I plan to keep on keepin' on either way.

Both, because I've been assigned a per meal and daily carb limit to manage T2Dm
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Calories. It's helped the last 8 months.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    In terms of macros, I only pay attention to protein. I routinely get more than enough fiber, but if I didn’t, I’d keep an eye on that too. However, calories are still the top priority for managing weight.
    Same. Calories first and foremost, and protein is the only macro I really pay any attention to. I have no problems getting enough fat and fiber, and just let the carbs fall wherever they fall.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »

You can change what's being tracked as well as edit your macro percentages from the default settings without having a premium membership. It's accessible from your "Daily Nutrition Goal" page and is suitable for most members. If you want different percentages on different days, however, then, yes, Premium gives you that ability.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Calories, protein, and fiber for me. Calories to lose weight, protein & fiber for satiety and health.
    Ditto
    I wasn't active on the forums back then, so I can't compare.
    I believe I remember more IIFYM when I first joined, plus general low carb. Keto has exploded since.