Sitting. The silent killer

Options
So a few years ago I was actively working an 8 hour job to where I had more energy to go to the gym. Two years ago I took another job where it’s a sit down desk job at a computer all day. Ive gotten lazy! I’ve noticed that I’ve gained a lot of weight since then, and I’m struggling to lose the weight. I know my job offers standing desks, but Im debating with the fact that maybe I should go back to an active job. I enjoy my job and the benefits and they even have a reimbursement form for those who go to the gym 10 times in a month!( you’d think that would be enough motivation) I also try not to eat much at work, but end up having bad late night eating habits. I typically come home and sit some more, unless doing typical mom stuff, like cooking, cleaning, etc. lol and you would also think that I would come home and go straight to the gym every day but sometimes it’s not that simple. I’ve noticed I’ve lost motivation since having this sitdown job. I really just wanna figure out the best workouts and what’s best to eat (at work) with a particular job like this. Sorry for the long post, just needed to vent, thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Your title seems a little melodramatic. I have a desk job, but I still get 6000 steps without any meaningful exercise.

To lose weight eat in a calorie deficit. For good health decide where you are going to fit in some regular exercise and do it.

If you feeling you're lacking motivation, this is a good read:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It's a vicious cycle you need to break, or it's only gonna get worse. The more sedentary you are, the more tired and lazy you feel! I know it's hard to go out again once you get home after all day at work, so why not do it straight after work and then go home? Or first thing in the morning? Or maybe do some exercise at home at least? Once you start you'll get used to it and won't be able to imagine your life without it, it's that first step that's the hardest. Good luck!
  • Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job but still incorporate exercise and monitor my eating habits. What works for me is planning ...I plan and prep my lunches and snacks so I am not tempted. I work out in the morning before I go to work as it is the most convenient and consistent time of the day for me.

I do little things like take steps instead of elevator. Take a walk during lunch time. This way I am not completely sedentary.

See what changes you can incorporate.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job but still average 8-10k steps because I'm pretty active outside of work...and even during my work day I still get up and move from my desk several times each hour (I'm one of those people who can't sit still for long). As others have said already, we can add movement in simple ways.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    This is an incredibly common problem but unfortunately I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all solution!

When I started my current office job I was still losing weight so I was very mindful of calories and just didn't get into that habit of snacking that a lot of people do. Bottle of water on my desk, logged every coffee, packed my own lunch, only fruit for snacks or something I brought from home so no popping to the shops, no vending machines, no office-buns. All of these things are very easy, very normal and once that's your routine it makes deviating from it harder.

The late night eating is something else I guess. Is it stress relief? Boredom? Are you actually under-eating during the day and coming home having been starving for hours? That is still sometimes a problem for me sometimes, if I don't eat enough at lunch or even breakfast I'll get home and attack the fridge like a wolverine. So I'll pre-plan my day so I know I have enough food to get me to lunch without being starving and to dinner with a few left over for something small after if I want it.

The exercise bit is harder, but I do find morning-gym much easier overall than evening-gym. It's quieter, there's less distractions in the morning to stop me going, get's my day off to a positive start but I know if you have kids that's going to be hard to fit into a school run! Youtube workouts? There are HIIT-style ones, yoga, pilates, calisthenics etc etc. Go for a quick run outdoors? Ask Santa for a stationary bike for Christmas?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job but incorporate quite a bit of activity in my day.

Walk as part of my commute.
    Take the stairs to my office.
    Climb more stairs at times during the day.
    Go for a walk at lunch. Walk to run errands.
    Sometimes go for a run at lunch!
    Go for a walk after work with my husband.
    Cycle and/or run on weekends.

• Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    It is good that you recognize that you are slowing down and yes a desk job can be very bad for your health. There has been a lot of good advice here so far except that nobody has addressed what you eat and how often.

Skipping meals at work is almost as bad as sitting all day and you then start forming poor eating habits at home.

Additionally when you are pressed for time you tend to grab the first thing that is available to eat instead of "thoughtful eating".

You need to prioritize. working all day and then doing "mom stuff" as you say is okay but is it necessary? Are you enabling your kids to do nothing by doing it all yourself or do you empower them to do things on their own so that you can focus on your health?

A lot of people on MFP seem to believe that they don't have time to look after their diet and exercise because they are so busy. These are the people who use time as an excuse. If your health is important, you find the time to improve it. Period.

Bottom line is eat healthy nutritious food, don't skip meals, if you snack reach for healthy alternatives, and try to get moving more, as often as you can. Take walks at lunchtime, park further away if you drive to work, get off the bus one stop earlier and walk the rest of the way to work, use stairs instead of an elevator and yes, use the stand up desk when possible...I did at my desk job and stood every other 20 minutes on the hour.

If you are intimidated by going to the gym, consider a swimming pool where they offer "water walking". It is easy on the joints and can offer a good workout because water is 12 times more resistant than air. You are also virtually weightless so you can do it much longer than on land. I do it 6 days a week and them sit in the hot tub / whirlpool for 10 minutes at the end and feel great afterward.
  • 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I do not have a desk job but my chiropractor used this as an example yesterday. He said to hit the gym for 30 minutes before and after work and incorporate a HIIT workout.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't have a desk job but was pretty sedentary. Getting an inexpensive pedometer helped me see where I was at (less than 3,000 steps) and gradually increased my steps. Now I get between 8,000-10,000 steps a day but it does take some effort. I found I am more active all day if I walk 30-60 minutes briskly in the morning even just around my house. I sneak walking in by doing things like walking over to speak to someone or putting away one dish at a time and doing a lap of the kitchen before getting another dish.
    I don't sit and watch tv or use the computer quite as much for entertainment.

There are a lot of workout videos on youtube if you don't have time for a gym.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I have a sit down job too. I got to the gym before I come to work...daily. hello 5am. <3
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I originally gained 60/70 lbs years ago after quitting smoking and going from a very active job to a desk job. I still have a desk job now but I'm 54 and in the best shape of my life.

I workout an hour a day, six times a week at lunch and every hour (I have a productivity timer that I use -- I work in blocks of 45 or 50 minutes and have a 10 minute "break" every hour) I get up and refill my water/coffee and either have upper body day or lower body day and do pushups/military presses for the upper body day or weighted squats or KB swings or similar on the leg day. On my upper body day, it's normal for me to do 200 or so pushups by the end of the day (I do some more at night during TV commercials).

I also run a business, take care of five animals and do all the cooking at home. We tend to blame circumstances for what's happened to us when actually, it's not the desk job exclusively that caused the weight gain. It was we moved less and continued to eat too much. I'm guilty of that.

For every eight hours of sitting, you need an hour of moving minimum.
  • Allie1618
    Allie1618 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If your job offers a standing desk take them up on it. Most move up and down easily so you may not be committed to either position all the time. I started using one a few years ago and love it.