Exercise after wisdom teeth being removed

Options
How long did you wait before going back to the gym after getting wisdom teeth removed?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    It's been 20 years ago, but that was some of the worse pain I've ever experienced, right after drug-free child birth and gallstones. At least a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Pulled or surgically removed? I had one pulled and that was no biggie...the other was impacted and had to be surgically removed...I don't remember how long exactly, but basically the hole needed to heal in order to avoid dry socket. They should be able to tell you.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    At least a week. Depends on your history, the number of teeth removed and how they had to remove them. I'd ask your surgeon. You do not want a dry socket!
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    They were surgically removed. They said day 3 will be the worst (they were removed this morning). So far, the pain hasn't been too bad.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Um, what does the doctor say? I wouldn't rush it. The exercise issue is not pain, it's bleeding. You need to allow the wound to heal.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had three of mine surgically removed at once as a teenager. Spent 5 days home from school and didn’t participate in gym class until my stitches were removed (had both regular and dissolvable. I’d say at least 7-10 days depending on whether you’re playing sports or just exercising.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    It's been 20 years ago, but that was some of the worse pain I've ever experienced, right after drug-free child birth and gallstones. At least a week.

This. It's been about 20 years for me too, and I still remember that recovering was some of the worst pain I've ever been through. It was much worse than getting hit by a car on my bike, and that got me 24 hours in the ER/ICU.

If you haven't had them out yet, demand the strongest pain medicine they have and a lot of it.

I hope yours goes much better than mine did.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I had my wisdom teeth removed last February. All four had to be surgically removed because they were impacted. Luckily, I had very little pain or swelling (except when I tried to eat harder food too soon). The only pain meds they gave me was tylenol with codeine, but I only used it the first 4 days.

The office that I went to suggested not to exercise for a week because getting your blood pressure up could make your mouth start bleeding again. I would assume the time required would depend on how well your body heals itself. My personal suggestion would be to wait until your checkup next week and then ask if you are cleared to exercise at that point.