really bummed out, disapointed and frustrated...... help?

Options
I know I shouldn't be bummed (because I'm changing my lifestyle and all...) but I'm really :brokenheart: and :mad: .

I am currently at 170 which is where I started in July. Just last week (on Wednesday) I was down to 164 which is a number I haven't seen in years. I was so proud of myself and felt incredibly motivated and successful... lost the most weight this summer out of years and years of 'trying'. It's not really the right time of the month for me to gain the water weight, but I guess it's possible that it would be early. My gut feels huge compared to what it felt like last week. since I just took my measurements, I now know why.... I'm back up 2 inches from where I was last week and back to the same measurements that I was on 6/30. What happened? and how did this happen in a week??? is it really that possible to have gained THAT much water? I don't want to be set back a month's worth of hard work - it's NOT FAIR! :sad:

Please advise. what should I do/eat now?! help.

Replies

• mpmama2re
    mpmama2re Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    is your period coming?
  • hurrayhurrah
    Options
    You might be "exapanded" from excess salt in your diet or not drinking enough water. If you are working out and eating healthy and you gained 6 pounds in a week, it is probably a high sodium intake or some other sort of water weight (I know that I've gone up three pounds in a day from too much sodium. NOT a good feeling). Just make sure you drink a lot of water and maybe watch your salt intake. If this continues to happen and you are eating an adequate amount of calories for the calories you burn, you might want to visit a doctor to see if there is an underlying condition (such as thyroid problems)
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've been known to go up 6 pounds overnight after some beer and chips at a barbecue. My weight never goes down and stays down. It fluctuates constantly, but over a longer graph it is decreasing. Don't get your panties in a bunch over this little setback. Go for a good long walk, drink more water than you usually do. You'll be fine. This is a long, sucky journey, my friend. Stick with it.
  • flutatious1
    flutatious1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stay positive that it's just water, but 6lbs worth?! period isn't expected for another week... I usuually don't feel bloated until a few days before.
  • amart17
    amart17 Posts: 21
    Options
    Unless you were eating 6000+ calories of McDonald's a day, you could not have possibly Therefore, the majority, if not all, of it has to be something else. Check your sodium intake (water retention). Seems counter-intuitive, but drink a ton of water over the next few day and try to flush whatever is in there out. The weight will come back off (plus more, usually) in a few days or a week.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I gain weight a whole week before my period even starts.
  • lauradupree
    Options
    It sounds like water weight which can come and go rather quickly unlike fat. Cheer up. Watch the salt, and drink lots of water. I have gained water weight like that just from spending extra time out in the sun and not drinking enough water. Hang in there. In a day or two you may lose the weight if it's water. :-)
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Girl... Hang in there, it has to be something like water retention. Just keep on keeping on and it WILL go away, Don't be too discouraged. You will be just fine.:flowerforyou:
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Have you been exercising a lot lately? It could be inflammation in your muscles.... You could have had too much salt and are retaining water....
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    On a side note... I wanna be you when I "grow up". I am aiming for 170 right now.
  • ChrisFA5
    ChrisFA5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It sounds funny but drink (more) water, aim for 10 8 ounce cups a day, and be wary of the salt & sodium you intake. Just remember your body is a machine, I'll burn what you give it (including any you've "stored up"). Don't loose your motivation, stay consistent and you'll reap the rewards.
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    More water will help to flush sodium out if its an issue, but you might need more potassium also.

From Livestrong.com
    Foods High in Potassium

According to Harvard Health Publications, you can reduce the sodium in your body by increasing your potassium intake. If you're not getting enough potassium, your body will try to conserve it, with the side effect that it will also retain sodium and water. Eat plenty of foods that are high in potassium, such as bananas, avocados and baked potatoes in their skins, to reverse this effect. The recommended amount of potassium for most adults is 4,700mg.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/267555-foods-that-flush-sodium-out-of-the-body/#ixzz1VWauLexD
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The more carbs, especially simple carbs, you eat the more fluid (aka glycogen) you retain to digest those carbs. Increase your water intake to help compensate. Restricting simple carbs (as in anything white) and lowering your sodium intake (I keep mine at 1,000 mg/day) will also help.
  • flutatious1
    flutatious1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    thank you all for the tips and suggestions. I edited my settings for the food diary to track sodium and WOW I am eating a lot more than I thought!!!!! Not good! I will have to concentrate on this area in my diet. Drinking tons of water to flush out excess Na and NaCl...... how long does that process take?

Thanks again!