Stretching

Options
My doctor suggested I check out Stretch Zone. I've read mixed reviews of it, but my main problem is there's no way I could afford something like that on a regular basis. He said I should go to their free first session to learn the proper stretching techniques, and then duplicate them as best I can on my own, thereby not having to pay anything.

I'm wondering how realistic that is. Does anyone have experience with Stretch Zone (or similar stretching gyms)? Do you think it's beneficial? Once you've experienced it, would you be able to do anything at all like it on your own to reap similar benefits?

Replies

• PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    From checking out the google, this is similar to Stretch U in my area where someone stretches you. I did a Groupon deal, I liked enough but it wasn't something I could duplicate at home. You could probably find stretching videos on YouTube. I also follow sites like Mobility Wod on IG and get a lot of good ideas for stretches for my trouble areas. You can still use Stretch Zone sparingly when you need a tune up.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it. If it's a gym for stretching, I'd suggest looking for free resources instead. Fitnessblender.com has tons of free stretching (and ither fitness) videos. That's where I turn if I want to follow a video.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of Stretch Zone or been to a stretching gym, but from my experience with yoga, it is import to go to at least a couple of in-person classes initially to understand proper form and how certain stretches are supposed to feel so you don't end up hurting yourself.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I had never heard of it. I just googled it and watched a video and it looks nice but not something you could really replicate at home, so I'm confused why your doctor suggested that? It looked to me like the entire point of going there was to have someone ELSE stretch you, so you could completely relax. But what do I know. If you choose to spend the money on it, I think it would be really nice but otherwise I agree with others on just finding videos online.
  • FitAndLean_5738
    FitAndLean_5738 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Why not just use youtube? There are literally thousands of videos on stretching at home. With no equipment.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I have no comment on the stretching gym but will recommend a book on stretching. It's been around for 30 years and has pretty much been the top book on the topic the whole time:

Stretching by Bob Anderson

https://www.amazon.com/Stretching-30th-Anniversary-Bob-Anderson/dp/0936070463/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543523641&sr=8-1&keywords=bob+anderson+stretch
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There’s no harm in going to a free session is there? Perhaps that plus some you tube videos would help you follow a program to meet your goals. The main benefits of classes are learning form and developing a consistent habit. There are no secret exercises.
  • 223Craig
    223Craig Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful feedback. It's consistent with how I was leaning, which is not to pay for something like this, but to probably go to any free sessions. And then to consult YouTube videos and other free resources.