Winter running - tips, tricks, advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it "colder" until it gets below 40.

30-40 degrees = running pants, long sleeve shirt, running hoodie, hat & gloves.
    20-30 degrees = running pants, long sleeve shirt, running hoodie, vest, hat, & gloves.
    less than 20 = running pants, tights, long sleeve shirt, running hoodie, vest, hat, & gloves.

All this said, when the roads/sidewalks are not cleared of snow/ice - I stay home.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    What are your tips and insights for running in below freezing temperatures?

Outdoor trail-running evening/night desert temps for me generally dance around the low 30s, a few times less. In the late Autumn months wearing tennis dresses sometimes with running leggings/tights were comfortable for me. Now, the following are my essentials:
    • Compression thermal ski socks
    • Activewear leggings/tights
    • Activewear mock neck tops
    • Just the glove liners are my preference. I don't like bulky. It's a security-risk IMO
    • Activewear knitted with hoodie zip-up sweater which I'll wear to start and will remove towards the end of my workout 
    • Body scrub (Ultra hydrating)
    • Body oil (Maintenance)
    • Skin protection seal  (helps me tolerate and defy the extreme wind chills)
    • Ultra hydrating body lotion/moisturiser 
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Vaseline on the face. It worked miracles for me.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I live in southern California, so I change nothing. :trollface: **ducks** :smiley:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Layers for sure.

Avoid cotton because it freezes and chafes. Polar fleece layers!

I agree that wind is worse than cold. Wind resistant clothes is a must.

Head/ ear band for if it is just a bit cold ( down to -15c or so) and a thin toque for a bit colder. Balaclavas for -20 or below, it at least a scarf - I hated frozen nose hair.

Run on roads or grass when it is icy. I used to run through the snow in parks to avoid ice. Feet may get a bit wet but while running it doesn't get cold. Gators can be used to keep snow out of shoes if it is powdery. Trail runners can work better for this.

Gloves beat mitts - mitts get too hot and sweaty.

Vaseline can help on exposed skin. Let your skin warm up/ thaw before getting in the shower.

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

I like Aquaphor a little better--less petroleum-y.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

I like Aquaphor a little better--less petroleum-y.

i use my night cream
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I usually move indoors by October...
  • FitAndLean_5738
    FitAndLean_5738 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When it's cold:

- I layer like crazy. I'd rather be too hot and take off clothes than too cold and out 5 miles
    - I shorten my stride so if I slip and fall I won't do a painful split (also reduces chances of falling altogether)
    - I run the entire time. When the weather is warm, I can afford to stop a mile or two out from my house and walk the rest of the way back. When it's cold I make sure to run right up to my front door.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have a lightweight running jacket that both serves to cut wind and allow moisture out. A full front zipper is a must and is really the only temp adjustment I have. I run in town so there is no way to shed layers without carrying what I shed and that is no fun. When I used a pull over I couldn't regulate without the zipper. After that it is based on what I wear under it. Under Armour has some cold weather shirts that I can't wear until it gets below 24 Deg. or I get too hot.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I used to run outdoors in the winter, but after getting a bad ankle sprain on black ice last year, I'm strictly a treadmill person when there is snow and ice.

However, I do walk and cycle (with studded tires) all winter, and my best tip from that is LIGHTS. I have LED snap bracelets like these ones that I wear on wrists and ankles to increase my visibility, along with reflective clothing, an LED collar for my dog, and clip on safety lights like these ones that I can attach to my backpack or zippers or whatever to ensure I'm seen.

It's only light from about 8:30 AM to 4PM where I live right now and so it's really important that traffic notices me. I also wear exclusively neon gear for the same reason.

When it's very cold (below -20C or so) I will wear my ski jacket, because it has armpit vents if I do heat up enough to need them. I also layer fleece lined tights with thick sweatpants to trap some heat. Mittens, not gloves so my fingers don't fall off. And I cover all the exposed skin on my face so frostbite won't set in if I'm out for more than half an hour.