Ski Vacation 2 Weeks Before 15K Race

Options
Charlene____
Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
edited November 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi All,

I am currently training for a 15K race on Feb 17. My plan has me running about 32-33 miles the last week of January; (currently at 27 per week). I am leaving for a ski trip on Feb 3, will ski Feb 4-7, return home on 8. How should I adjust for my running during that week? I was thinking 5 runs (my normal schedule) of 1-3 miles each? I live at 1100' of elevation, my hotel will be at 8000' which will make running even harder, especially after full day of skiing.

I will have run 6 100-minute, and 2-110 minute runs from December thru the last week of January so I will feel comfortable with the distance- those durations will give me about 10.5-11.5 miles of running at an easy pace.

I will also run 4 5-mile race pace runs from late December until late January.

I plan on tapering that last week before the race as well, but am nervous with a reduced load for a full two weeks before the race. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I ski a lot and run and in my experience it is really, really tough to run after a day of skiing because (at least if you ski kind of aggressively like I do and go from lift open to close) you spend hours in basically a squat position and your quads are worked really hard. Sometimes I'm mentally up for it but my legs are just jelly, and I've never managed more than a couple miles after a full day (and regret it the day following since it increases the likelihood I'm going to be sore for the next ski day and that's a drag when I spent $120 on a lift ticket.)

I don't know what your goals are for this race, but if you're not bound and determined to PR, I'd suggest just enjoying your trip, running a day or two for a couple miles if you really, really want to and haven't skied too hard, and not worrying too much beyond that or ruining your vacation by making yourself too tired/sore to ski fully.

A two week taper probably isn't ideal but it's not going to make you DNF if you've trained well until that point.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I would be wary of doing a bunch of running at elevation, in addition to a bunch of skiing, 2 weeks before a race. At that point, your training is really mostly done. You’re more at risk for messing things up than for gaining fitness. Skiing is tough. I would enjoy your skiing, run maybe once or twice if you want, but really not worry too much.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I agree that you'll have done your training 2 weeks from the race so just enjoy your holiday and do a few runs the week you are back and then taper as planned
  • Charlene____
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. As I was thinking about this after I posted, I don't leave until late morning on that Sunday, so I could do my normal run on Sunday, which would have been an Easy 5.0M. Do you think that's OK to do? Then I'll really only be missing 4 runs if I don't run at all while there.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. As I was thinking about this after I posted, I don't leave until late morning on that Sunday, so I could do my normal run on Sunday, which would have been an Easy 5.0M. Do you think that's OK to do? Then I'll really only be missing 4 runs if I don't run at all while there.

I think running the day you leave is a good solution, actually, since you're used to that level and type of activity and it shouldn't impact your ability to ski, but should give you some peace of mind that you're not missing too much training.

Missing four runs is definitely better to happen at this point than earlier in your training, and it is going to be further mitigated by the cross-training aspect of skiing. I think you will do just fine.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you'll be fine even if you don't run that week. 30+ miles per week is great but it's not entirely necessary for a 15K. If anything, do a couple of shorter runs that week but don't push too hard because of the altitude.

Assuming that you get to that level before the break you'll probably be a bit 'over-conditioned' for the race even with one week gone and a light taper week afterwards. Not the worst thing in the world but it does mean that you'll have a bit of cushion to work with.
  • Charlene____
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Thanks again. I am looking forward to the trip. I've never skied where we are going- we usually head to Big Sky but changing it up this year. I have found in previous years that the elevation has forced me to run only about 1-1.5Ms. I'll do my run on Sunday morning before we leave and see if I can eek out a mile once or twice during the week. If not, then it's not the end of the world- even though bad races seem like it.