Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Training shoes?!

Hi all! Looking for your opinions please!

I am not a runner but am starting again with running. I've had a gait analysis and need support running shoes so have ASICS GT2000s for running.

For my gym/circuits class I just wear some trainers which I also wear for every day stuff. These are ASICS CULMINUS 16s. I think a neutral shoe.

So my question is...

If I need a support shoe for running, should I really have a support shoe for gym/circuits?

Or I've seen some cross training shoes which are for HIIT circuits and weights where I guess more stability is helpful?

So, do I continue to wear my 'every day' trainers for circuits?

Wear a training shoe with stability (like the GT2000s?)

Out should I look at a trainer more suited to fitness classes and gym?

I'll be doing some treadmill running also... So which for that oh wise ones?!

Thanks in advance 😁

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    IMO, you need support for running (whatever that means for your foot/stride) and stability for classes/circuits/lifting/etc. IMO, that means less shoe between you and the floor.
  • evangorr
    evangorr Posts: 2 Member
    For running you want a shoe that gives you cushion so your joints don't take the brunt of an assault, that is why running shoes might look like the have a larger sole and feel a lot more cushioned. For lifting or circuits you want to have a nice flat surface to work with so your center of gravity can be spread across the floor. This will give you a safer and more stable lift. Shoes like converse or vans are a great place to start :) (I lift in vans and have done so for the past 4 years and love them)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Here is what I'm doing, and I know it may not be correct.

I run in either GT-1000 or GT-2000. Either work for me with the 2000 being a little lighter. I've got a pair of 1000 that have ~500km on them and they have become my gym shoe. I lift in them (stronglifts) and then typically put 2.5k on the treadmill. If I lift in a different shoe and then hit the treadmill, I get shin splints. But I'm not really keen on taking 2 pairs of shoes to the gym so I make do with what may not be the best for lifting but allows treadmill use.

On rainy days where I go to just run, I use the 2000's.

I'm curious on the topic as well and am wondering if, as I start to lift heavier if my shoes will be a detriment.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    When I was in rehab for a knee injury, my physical therapist called my running shoes high heeled mattresses (they were ASICS at the time).

I run in running shoes. I do all my gym things (lifting, “circuits”, rowing, calesthenics, etc) in flatter, less cushioned shoes (which provide considerably more support for a lot of those movements vs wobbling in running shoes or spending my energy compressing foam in my shoes vs pushing weight) in shoes like Reebok Nano, Nike Metcon, inov8 (225 I think?). Those have just enough cushion to make jumping reasonably comfortable, but are solid and flat enough that I am OK lifting in them.

I can do small bits of running in those (~a couple of miles). So if I’m doing some TM running as part of a gym workout, they are Ok for that. If I’m doing more running than that (TM or otherwise), I will wear my actual running shoes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    evangorr wrote: »
    For running you want a shoe that gives you cushion so your joints don't take the brunt of an assault, that is why running shoes might look like the have a larger sole and feel a lot more cushioned.

You do appreciate that stabilisation or motion control shoes are completely different to cushioned shoes. They do a very different thing. If someone needs a motion control shoe them a cushioned shoe will potentially cause problems for them.

I've run marathons and ultra marathons in shoes with negligible cushioning.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited November 2018
    For running you want a shoe that gives you cushion so your joints don't take the brunt of an assault, that is why running shoes might look like the have a larger sole and feel a lot more cushioned.

You do appreciate that stabilisation or motion control shoes are completely different to cushioned shoes. They do a very different thing. If someone needs a motion control shoe them a cushioned shoe will potentially cause problems for them.

I've run marathons and ultra marathons in shoes with negligible cushioning.

Agreed...

Degree of cushioning is totally personal preference, and may not always be a good options, even if some might think more cushioning feels better.
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
    Thanks for the replies all!

I went shopping and picked myself a bargain pair of Nike Flex Essentials for just £24!! Should have been more than double that 😁

I'll be giving them a test run tomorrow morning!

Thanks again for the input!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    For running you want a shoe that gives you cushion so your joints don't take the brunt of an assault, that is why running shoes might look like the have a larger sole and feel a lot more cushioned. For lifting or circuits you want to have a nice flat surface to work with so your center of gravity can be spread across the floor. This will give you a safer and more stable lift. Shoes like converse or vans are a great place to start :) (I lift in vans and have done so for the past 4 years and love them)

Not quite. The shoe makes little difference. If you joints are being 'assaulted' it is because of your stride, not your shoe. And not all running shoes look like the ones you describe. I agree with the rest of your post.