Weight Loss Mystery

Options
Hello!
I have a sedentary BMR of 1247. (BMR if I were to do nothing)
And a BMR of 1933. (BMR WITH ACTIVITY LEVEL taken into account. Maintenance for moderately active people at my age,gender, height, and weight)
I eat, on average, 2500 calories a day. (I have a tendency to binge and overeat)
My exercise has been consistent. I burn about 300 a day from cardio.
That gives me a net of 2200 calories, 267 MORE than my maintenance.

And the phenomenon is, I have lost 7 pounds since April. Why is that?

Replies

• NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    BMR is an estimate. Some people need more, and some people need less. You're one of the lucky ones. :drinker:
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    BMR isn't maintenance for your activity level. It's the calories your body burns just keeping you alive. In other words if you were in bed for 24 hours straight just sleeping that's how many calories you would burn. Any activity on top of that burns more of course. With your activity and cardio you are burning a little more then you consume over time.
  • daryna13
    daryna13 Posts: 30
    Options
    Maybe you underestimate your daily activity level? Other than that, maybe you were just born with a good metabolism :D
  • regentin
    regentin Posts: 60
    Options
    Bump. I'm just learning about this BMR stuff....had mine tested last night and am scared to eat as many calories as I'm supposed to!
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    BMR isn't maintenance for your activity level. It's the calories your body burns just keeping you alive. In other words if you were in bed for 24 hours straight just sleeping that's how many calories you would burn. Any activity on top of that burns more of course. With your activity and cardio you are burning a little more then you consume over time.

1247 is my BMR if I were to do nothing. (calculated with myfitnesspal)
    To calculate my daily caloric intake to maintain my weight, I used this:http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/
    And I received 1933 as a result.
  • regentin
    regentin Posts: 60
    Options

To calculate my daily caloric intake to maintain my weight, I used this:http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

My BMR calculation on MFP was 1000 calories less than my real BMR that I had tested. So, I'm guessing there are some inaccuracies that might be throwing things off.
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options

My BMR calculation on MFP was 1000 calories less than my real BMR that I had tested. So, I'm guessing there are some inaccuracies that might be throwing things off.

I think the BMR MFP gives you is your sedentary BMR. That is the amount of calories your body uses just to be alive. Use this to find your BMR that matches your activity levels. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/