NHS 800 calorie diet for diabetes patients

Apparently the NHS will start to offer an 800 calorie per day diet to diabetes patients:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46363869

I don't have diabetes so I don't know much about it. But does this seem right? I'm losing a pound per week on MFP at 1390 calories and it can be really tough--I certainly wouldn't want to go below 1200 per day and am planning on going to .5 pounds per week when the calorie goal reaches that. Or is diabetes one of those things where extreme measures as prescribed by a doctor are okay?

It just seems to me that such a low goal really sets people up for failure; I really don't think I could function on that!

Replies

• Bobble11
    Bobble11 Posts: 49 Member
    It seems like a tool to kick start fast weight loss for quick diabetes reversal (reducing the need for drugs) but if it was ever used it would have to be on the right person and, as the article says, have the right follow up so the weight doesn't just go back on.

I couldn't do it and I don't see doctors recommending it.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    There is a programme on this somewhere. I think it's on the iplayer. The 800 calorie diet is monitored by the doctors and tailored to each individual's needs.
  • Bobble11
    Bobble11 Posts: 49 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

The clinic I worked at over the summer had one doctor applying it to specific diabetes patients. Prerequisit:

1) Diabetes was out of control
    2) Bariatric surgery was out of the question (medical and psychiatric reasons)
    3) Patient had already been admitted into the clinic. He absolutely refused to apply such a protocol to out clinic patients.

The 'diet' included:
    1) Daily visit from a member of the clinical dietitian team
    2) Daily blood panels ( especially in the increase phase to catch a possible refeeding before it happened)
    3) Controlled reintroduction / increase of various foods after a predetermined period / weightloss target reached
    4) In depth school on nutrition and food preparation techniques and diabetic protocols BEFORE the patient was released from the clinic

That sounds like a case of it being done right. Well done to that Doc *thumbs up emoji*. I hope the same due diligence and follow up is done in this NHS trial.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Thank you everyone for your responses-I will look on iplayer for that programme tonight.

I did understand it was a doctor monitored regime--but I think about how hard it is to stay within my current calorie goal (I'm mildly hungry most of the time haha) and I don't know how you could get out of bed in the morning on so few! I'll watch the show though and see how they do.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Deviette wrote: »

Discussion point:
    I think that the QoL improvement is a really interesting point, especially seeing as more people in the intervention group reported serious adverse events. Maybe it's that although it was tough, somehow it was seem as more "worth it" by the patients as they got very good results, compared to the control group who didn't see much improvement at all, and were probably struggling also, didn't see the struggle as worth it. I mean, anecdotally that fits with the theory I have that people would much rather really suffer badly for a couple of weeks, than barely suffer for a long period of time. (I mean, would you rather have excruciating pain for 1 day and then it be gone, or slight pain every day for a week? As someone who has experienced both thanks to periods, I can tell you which one I prefer: the 1 day one.)

on the tv programme they also did exercise to help with the weight loss and to stabilise blood sugar (i think). i wonder how much that helped with their QoL assessment?

i agree with the struggle seeming worth it when you're having weekly weigh ins that show how much you've lost and how your medial markers are improving.
  • ssbbg
    ssbbg Posts: 153 Member
    Oh, and I should note that I did ask this question, "Could a single two week intervention produce some beneficial results? Could two week interventions coupled with “diet breaks” eating at maintenance produce the same results as a straight 8 week 600 kcal intervention?" to a diabetes doc.

He said that the amount of medication needed was so different between the two weeks at 800 cal and the diet break weeks that it would be very tricky to do. I think in the Taylor studies medication is stopped a few days into the intervention (because blood glucose is very low on an 800 cal diet + pancreas starting to produce insulin).
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    @ssbbg thank you
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Just googled the programme - it was called the Fast Fix: Diabetes Edition (or something very similar). It was on itv so have a look on their catch up player.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I just started Ozempic and due to gastric distress, I can tell you that an 800 calorie diet with controlled carb intake does wonders for glucose levels. I can't imagine sticking with it without the nausea and certainly not as a liquid diet. I am exhausted after just a couple weeks. But hey, fasting blood sugars look great and I already lost 10 pounds, so the doctor will be happy.