Cloud bread

Options
Has anyone tried the cloud “bread”? https://www.purewow.com/food/Cloud-Bread-Recipe
I feel it will be good with sausage and cheese in the morning but calling it bread may be a stretch. :-)

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I like it better with cottage cheese (its original iteration) than cream cheese, but I ate it back in the day when I first low carbed and still have it occasionally since I can't have gluten and I genuinely like it and it's a decent source of protein in a meal. And I'm all about protein since it's satiating for me.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I made it once, but I wasn't really impressed. It would work okay as a bread-like replacement if you end up liking it. It holds up okay, but it only lasts for a few days and must be refrigerated.

I don't know if the recipe I followed was a good one or not. The "bread" was kinda gummy, so I didn't like the texture.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I keep meaning to try it. Sometimes bread just doesn't fit in my plan, but I have a hankering.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    My brother has Cialiecs (however it's spelled!) so I also wondered about Cloud Bread for when he visits.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I tried it once ages back, it's really insubstantial and sort of melts away if it contacts any wet ingredients.

I make wheat bread at home in my breadmaker and substitute apple sauce for oil, it makes for a very calorie friendly and substantial bread.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited November 2018
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I like it better with cottage cheese (its original iteration) than cream cheese, but I ate it back in the day when I first low carbed and still have it occasionally since I can't have gluten and I genuinely like it and it's a decent source of protein in a meal. And I'm all about protein since it's satiating for me.

How do you make it with cottage cheese? Recipe / method?

Same as any cloud bread recipe, just sub out cottage cheese for cream cheese. If your cottage cheese is watery, I suppose draining it would help.

I always meant to experiment by folding in unflavored protein powder to give it more substance, but never got around to it. It's not something I make very often, just if I need a holder for a sandwich filling (which I don't very often).
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it before, but sounds intriguing.
    Would it work with yogurt instead of cream cheese? It's the only dairy thing my bowel can tolerate :D
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Same as any cloud bread recipe, just sub out cottage cheese for cream cheese. If your cottage cheese is watery, I suppose draining it would help.

I always meant to experiment by folding in unflavored protein powder to give it more substance, but never got around to it. It's not something I make very often, just if I need a holder for a sandwich filling (which I don't very often).

ahhh so I assume you blend the cottage cheese to make it creamy right? Just like for a cheesecake?

Nope. I did at first but then got lazy. It still turns out just fine.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    laurabini wrote: »
    I've never heard of it before, but sounds intriguing.
    Would it work with yogurt instead of cream cheese? It's the only dairy thing my bowel can tolerate :D

I imagine it would work with very well drained yogurt. It's a pretty forgiving recipe.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I've tried it. The recipee I used was called Oopsie Bread, but it's the same thing. It's ok. It doesn't even remotely resemble bread though, so people who are expecting it to taste like bread will be disappointed. I don't do low carb though, so I was only trying it out of curiosity. I made one big pizza crust out of it once and will admit it holds together better than most grain free pizza crusts - worked much better than cauliflower pizza crust but spaghetti squash pizza crust is still my favorite grain free crust.
    It tastes like a cheesecake without the sugar, since that's pretty much what it is...
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It was pretty much a fail for me. If low-carb is the goal, the 90 second mug bread is better. Fathead dough is better. Pretty much everything is better.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Cloud bread is not a bread replacement. Nothing will replace bread, just like nothing will replace real pasta.
    Its a vessel for various toppings :)

Semi-agree. Nothing beats real pasta with a little butter and pepper, but Shiritake in tomato and meat sauce is quite satisfying. I expect the same with bread. A good bread dipped in olive oil and herbs won't be replaced here, but to make a sandwich it could possibly do a good job. Will try it at some point.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

I made it once like this and also included some ground up pork rinds and maybe almond flour? It’s been a long time and I don’t remember exactly. It’s a bit more bread-like and has a bit more substance with this stuff. Kind of a cornbread texture vs weird pouffy sponge.