No fruit smoothie recipes?

Options
mtdb8
mtdb8 Posts: 65 Member
edited November 2018 in Recipes
I'm looking for a smoothie recipe sans fruit.

The problem is all my experiments taste disgusting and they look like slime.

I really dont like vegitables but I'm hoping I will learn to eat them through smoothies that dont take like vegitables.

So does anyone have a recipe?

Replies

• happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Why no fruit? There is no such thing as a fruit-free veggie smoothie that does not taste like veggies. I've enjoyed "fruit free" green juices that add lots of cucumber and lemon (technically fruits) but never tried to smoothies like that myself at home and they definitely still have that grassy taste. If you don't like vegetables, half an apple or banana can go a long way in making the greens more palatable. It won't cover the taste completely but it helps. It might be a better idea to make fruit smoothies with a handful of spinach added and decrease fruit/increase veggies slowly over time.

Also if it's in your budget, get a good blender. Greens are very fibrous and most cheap blenders can't break them down properly. That's why they get that gloppy chunky texture.
  • mtdb8
    Options
    I do like apples, bananas, and stone fruits.

But I'm sadly allergic to citrus, berries, and melons. So that's like 80% of fruits. It's easier to ask for a recipie for a no fruit one than one that just has bananas, apples and stone fruits.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    mtdb8 wrote: »
    I do like apples, bananas, and stone fruits.

But I'm sadly allergic to citrus, berries, and melons. So that's like 80% of fruits. It's easier to ask for a recipie for a no fruit one than one that just has bananas, apples and stone fruits.

I find that peaches and bananas have the best 'masking' qualities of the fruits you can eat. Spinach and romaine have a very light flavor when mixed with sweet fruits. I'd also look at other non-leafy vegetables (assuming you aren't allergic) like cucumbers as they aren't as bitter. But given your dietary needs, smoothies might not be the best way to learn to like veggies. Roasting with salt, seasoning of your choice, and a generous amount of fat is a great way to prepare just about any vegetable and I know a lot of picky eaters who started eating vegetables that way. It is higher calorie than other prep methods but hopefully you'll develop a taste for them over time.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i have had good luck with pinterest
    like a peanut butter, yogurt, banana
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Use frozen banana as your base. Then you’ll like your smoothies better.

Just experiment. Use a simple base recipe and just add one new thing each time. Take notes of what works.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.geniuskitchen.com/amp/recipe/frozen-banana-smoothie-217138
  • jnamcelwain
    jnamcelwain Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    8 oz unsweetened almond milk
    1/2 banana frozen works great
    1 Tbsp pb
    1 tsp coconut oil
    Ice
    So so good
  • mtdb8
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Use frozen banana as your base. Then you’ll like your smoothies better.

Just experiment. Use a simple base recipe and just add one new thing each time. Take notes of what works.

The problem is I've been experimenting for months and my results have all been disgusting. 9x out 10, I dump it out instead of eat it and right now i haven't one in months. But I am willing to admit my digestive system worked better when I had them.

I want to go back to them even if they weren't very filling because I can go days without vegitables before I remember I'm supposed to have some.

But they cant be the same disgusting ones I had before or i wont eat them.

That's why I'm looking for recipes. This whole base +liquid ect doesn't work for me. I dont know what to to make it taste good. And make it not looked mud but that's a seperate issue
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    I think I would like apple and cucumber. I might consider using some commercial apple sauce with peeled cucumber, seeds and all.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    You started a thread just like this a week ago, did you not like the suggestions there? Maybe you just don't like smoothies and should try other ways to eat vegetables if you think you should eat more vegetables.

Smoothies pretty much ARE "base + liquid," so if that doesn't work for you, smoothies are probably out.