Survived a 7.2 Mag Quake

Options
Started my day yesterday with a step up on the scales that revealed a total loss of weight so far of 70lbs in 4.5 months.

However the next thing that happened while sitting in my recliner sipping my morning coffee was the scariest event of my life. 7.2 magnitude earthquake hit my hometown of Eagle River Alaska. The epicenter was ten miles away. My house is still standing but all of the interior contents look like they were put into a blender with the setting on "Puree"!

I've lived through war and trying to single handedly tame Alaska but when the earth moves that violently you really know how small you really are.

Got down sized instantly but the thing that didn't happen was I didn't try to eat my way into feeling better...
PolarBearBob

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    So glad youโ€™re okay despite the damage!

And congrats on you weight loss. :)
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,826 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I heard that earthquake was horrendous, I am glad you are ok!!
  • Celia0909
    Celia0909 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Glad you are ok and the house is still standing!
  • Plant_Foodie
    Plant_Foodie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That sounds scary!! Glad that everyone is okay!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    @PolarBearBob

Sorry for that terrible quake and happy that you and yours seem to be doing OK. I was almost on top of the January 1996 Northridge 7.0 quake in So. California and I know what you mean. Fortunately my house, family and friends did well- even when we had to rescue some of them-but the area and the aftermath of the original quake were horrendous. We had more than 200 after shocks in the first 24 hours, and two days later a 5.8 shake took our weak nerves to a different level. I know that Alaskans got a lot of aftershocks so I feel for you.

The stress totally curbed my appetite and the smell of broken things falling from my pantry was enough to make me puke. Never, ever, mix ketchup, syrup, and BBQ sauce together...totally nauseating :s .

Stay strong.
  • Jebe75
    Jebe75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    ๐Ÿ‘
  • PolarBearBob
    PolarBearBob Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone, life keeps moving and so do we. I consider myself lucky, some of you fine people in America have to live through some seriously dangerous natural disasters, tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, fires, snakes(I hate snakes), bugs, heat and humidity above 90 degrees and 90%. I can put on extra clothes for the cold but what can you do when it's so hot you are stripped down to your "Birth Day Suit"?
    Humans are adaptable creatures for sure.
    PBB
  • kettlebell_Addict305
    Options
    Super scary !!! Hope you can get things back to order soon. Glad your safe and thank you sharing ! Be blessed
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that you and those in the area were safe.

I've only been through some minor quakes, but one in Japan had a single sudden jolt that was enough to shift furniture and such. That single jolt was enough to wake me up to just how scary a real and/or more powerful earthquake could be.
  • FitKim39
    FitKim39 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people that live in 90+ degrees with over 90 humidity. I'm in Houston Texas and so far last month the highest temperature was 90, lowest 35, we had tornados 3 weeks ago and flooding last week. Today was in the 80s. It will be 35 later this week....๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜ฑ
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Iโ€™m a native Floridian that puts up with the extreme heat and humidity (86 yesterday) in addition to tornadoes, hurricanes, lightening belt, snakes (lots of them!) gators, spiders and cockroaches (lots of them!!!) I dunno, Alaska and itโ€™s earthquakes are sounding pretty good right now! ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    FitKim39, the traffic alone in Houston would make me move!!! Some of the worst Iโ€™ve ever experienced!!!