c25k starting 1st August - support group?

Options

Replies

• dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    OKAY......what is a c25K and where do you find info about it?

Its a program designed to build up to running a 5K race. It alternates walking and running on a weekly schedule building up gradually. You can either get the program for a website or purchase an iphone app or podcast.
  • shonasteele
    Options

On a different note, I completed W4D1 on Saturday even though I was certain I was not going to be able to do it. I was soooo overwhelmed that I CRIED when I finished! It didn't matter that it was about half of a 5K, to me it was a freakin' marathon. My body has been aching for 2 days but I will be back out there tomorrow cause I feel like I can do anything now! :smokin:

That is SO AWESOME! And never having been runner, I totally get it! I'm so ridiculously proud of myself and happy that I could (and sometimes do) babble on about it at length. My 10 year old daughter know exactly how far I go each day and how many calories I burn and what hurt or didn't. It's sad but it's just so exciting for me! And for you too! I'm SO happy and proud for you too! And p.s. thanks for giving me hope for week 4 - 5 minutes seems like a long time to run but yay us - we can do it! Or I'm damn well gonna try anyway!
  • ydeemar
    ydeemar Posts: 44
    Options
    done w3d1! :-)) so happy.. i wasn't sure i'd be able to finish it for the last minute run i really pushed myself not to stop (i was feeling my chest will burst), i kept thinking my buddies in the support group was able to do it i should not let them down.. i'll rest for tonight then w3d2 tomorrow night..:drinker: :drinker:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I just did day 2 of week 2 today. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I think I can do it. It's getting easier.
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    Options
    Im gonna try W3 D1 today - after a good 2 weeks rest :( (from C25K) Im scared!! but lets see how it goes :) xxxx
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    W4D2 Update: It was SOOO much easier the second time. During my first 5 minute jog I knew I had it in the bag! My husband could see it in my eyes...and I completed with stamina to spare! MY legs and feet were very sore, but much less than Day 1.

Some Tips:
    -Make sure to breathe (I use my Lamaze breathing. Runners would prob laugh at me., but hey, it works.)
    -Get some good music for those 5 min jogging stretches.
    -Don't look at the time. Five minutes go by very quickly if you're enjoying yourself, but very slowly if you're stalking your watch.

Last but not least, a shout out to Michael Jackson's Beat It & Lady Gaga's Edge of Glory. There's no way one could quit with those songs playing. (I need to remind myself to add Eye of the Tiger to my playlist too.)
  • sheabutt
    sheabutt Posts: 24
    Options
    W4D2 Update: It was SOOO much easier the second time. During my first 5 minute jog I knew I had it in the bag! My husband could see it in my eyes...and I completed with stamina to spare! MY legs and feet were very sore, but much less than Day 1.

Some Tips:
    -Make sure to breathe (I use my Lamaze breathing. Runners would prob laugh at me., but hey, it works.)
    -Get some good music for those 5 min jogging stretches.
    -Don't look at the time. Five minutes go by very quickly if you're enjoying yourself, but very slowly if you're stalking your watch.

Last but not least, a shout out to Michael Jackson's Beat It & Lady Gaga's Edge of Glory. There's no way one could quit with those songs playing. (I need to remind myself to add Eye of the Tiger to my playlist too.)

Congrats on completing W4D2! I wish I could say the same thing about the 2nd day being so much easier, though. Heh. My 2nd 5min jog was horrible; I stopped twice for about 5-10secs.

And now, my thighs and calves are damn sore.

Perhaps I should repeat this week. Hmmm.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I finished week 2 day 3 tonight. Since the beginning of this process I have been dreading week 3 with it's bump up to 3 minutes. I think its mostly mental, so tonight I just bit the bullet and on my last interval I just kept running and ran for the whole 3 minutes! I was so proud of myself. Now I don't have to worry about the next session.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    finished wk3d1 tonight....but my question is....if i do this on the treadmill (ive been doing it outside since its been nice) what do i set my incline to because im training for my first 5k and I know the land wont be flat but i dont know how treadmill's incline and a road's incline what would be considered equal
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I completed W1 on the treadmill and thought I was dying. This week, my friend and I are completing Week 2 outside - sooooooo much better! W2D2made me feel so proud - I have NEVER been a runner and to jogfor more than 10 seconds is amazing!

My question is: Do you RUN or JOG it? I simply cannot run it, so I jog at a comfortable pace. I want to do it right though....
  • mom2s2
    mom2s2 Posts: 2
    Options
    You can do this. I have done this twice now and always quit, and I am determined to make it thru. It's scary to move up the amount of time you run but man does it feel great once you do it. I NEVER thought I could run for 5 min straight, but I DID. I will admit I skipped the last week of week 5 since I didn't think throwing a 20 min run in there when I barely make it 8 mins was smart.
    Don't be afraid of the next step. Be impowered once you do it.
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    omggg week 4 is killlinnn meeee!!!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    My speed is pretty moderate.

Did W3D2 today--running 3 minutes sure is tough..1 more day, and then next week is week 4!! :noway:

I wonder how running 5 minutes will turn out..:huh:
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    [/quote]
    Congrats on completing W4D2! I wish I could say the same thing about the 2nd day being so much easier, though. Heh. My 2nd 5min jog was horrible; I stopped twice for about 5-10secs.

And now, my thighs and calves are damn sore.

Perhaps I should repeat this week. Hmmm.
    [/quote]

I had to repeat the first week. Do what you need to do in order to move to the next level. But, who knows? You may surprise yourself if you keep moving through it. I know I have.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    3 weeks down, 6 weeks to go. :happy:
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Hey all. You all seem to be doing really well! I'm having a week off work and off exercise but probably going to start back this weekend with W3D1. I'd be interested to hear what weight everyone is at with doing c25k? I'm 173lbs and 5ft2. x
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    5"6 180.
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    5'5"; 226; 31yo

Still wondering - do you RUN or JOG?
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    5'7" 124 lbs
  • Booobarella
    Options
    I tried it but after the first 2 minutes of jogging I felt like I was going to pop a lung. Did anyone else struggle to get started?