How fast do you run a mile???

Options
Ok, my husband and I are having a debate... What is an average pace per mile for a newbie runner just completing the C25K.... What would be consider fast, etc, etc... I am perfectly happy with my 11 minute mile and realize that won't win any races, but it's great for me right now.. Just wondered what's a good number to gage from...so what's your mile and are you a beginner or a long time runner....

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 9 of C25K and running a 13:30 min/mile. I know I'm slow that's okay, the speed will come later. I NEVER ran before starting C25K.

An 11min/mile would be awesome!
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Holy crap...an 11 minute mile...that's pretty good in my book! Especially for a beginner.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Depends on who is chasing me!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    yeah 11 minutes is great, when I was at my prime in cross country I did 8 minute miles
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    Not fast enough!! But my goal is to just finish what I start!!.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner. I only run on treadmills. I do 10 minute miles. Not really sure how it compares though.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I dream of a 11 min mile!
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    4K in 30 minutes. Thats about 3.2 miles. I think. 9.3 min mile.
  • futbolkt21
    Options
    4K in 30 minutes. Thats about 3.2 miles. I think. 9.3 min mile.

5k is 3.1 :-)
  • ardeornellis
    ardeornellis Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am completely with you guys!! Finishing is winning and it's a heck of a lot faster than the majority of people sitting on the couch..:) My hubby is actually very supportive, we just had this debate going.. He hasn't run since he was a kid and he's thinking that a good mile is about 6 minutes... LOL!! I told him to take off down the street and see how far he gets in 6 minutes... He makes me laugh... Time really doesn't matter....Just keep moving:) Thanks for helping me "win" this debate...:)
  • rrjs
    rrjs Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm just a beginner with no real endurance, after a mile (sometimes a mile and a half to two miles if I really work on it) I get exhausted quickly. It usually takes me around 10 to 11 minutes to run a mile.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I really don't know, but i can walk 16 min a mile, and can jog a little faster so im guessing 12-13min mile.
  • NABrightEyes
    Options
    I run a 5k in 25 minutes. So that's about 7 minutes a mile right? For a beginner, I think that you're right on target and running (at least to me) isn't about how fast you go. It's about remaining in your target heart range to maximize your workout experience.
  • ACF2
    ACF2 Posts: 51
    Options
    If LAPD is chasin' me I can run a mile ina bout 30seconds! %^)
    but beyond that 10-11 mins is good- whats ur hubby run it in? or is he sitting on the couch criticizing you? HMMM...
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    That is a GREAT time!! I just did my first 5K a few months ago and was about that. I ran about 10.5 min miles at the race and around 11 or 12 when running for "fun".
    I want to work on speed but also want to run farther distances. I was going to start the ease to 10K program that is like the couch to 5K program, but I am going to try this app I found on my phone called running coach through the running world magazine. It has some long day runs and some short days and some varied pace. I am hoping it will help.

Just keep running and enjoying it and dont worry too much about it, you are doing GREAT!!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I average a 14 min mile. I think the fastest mile I've ever done is 12 mins.
  • lazywriter
    Options
    An 11 minute mile for someone who just completed Couch to 5K (and presumably could barely run when started) is actually amazing. Tell your hubby to shush.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My best time for a 5K is 31:03 minutes, im guessings that's about 10.54 minutes per mile. I run slower in summer when it's hot. Did 5k in 34:14 yesterday, so that's about 11:38. I've only been running about a year now.
  • Imahottmess
    Options
    I'm also a beginner. Never ran a day in my life. I'm on week 7. I run a 10 min mile outside. But C25K has become my addiction. Love it!
    Some days (like today) I'm slower, but that's okay as long as I finish.
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Fastest mile recently was about 8:40.....6miles at about 11:20 per mile....10+ mile 11:30 per mile. Don't get caught up on the time. Lol...I did my first 5k earlier this year and had this elderly gentleman run up and pat me on the back while I was taking a walk break and say "C'mon man! You can do it!" As long as you're out there running and enjoying it that's all that matters.