Replies

• princessekrystale
    Options
    I average 10 min to run a mile
    Pretty satisfied with that.
    11mins is great!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    When I started running 2 yrs ago and was doing C25k I ran my first 5k in 49 minutes. I just PRd a 5k this weekend 31:05. My fastest mile has been around a 9:09. I'm happy with my long runs averaging 10:30-11 m/m but my shorter runs 10 mins or under.
  • SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    5k (3miles) in 25min 00sec. That is my best time!! Approx 8 min 30sec/mile.
  • RdySetGO11
    RdySetGO11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I haven't ran in a while but I do other cardio exercises, so when I ran a mile in 10 minutes I was shocked. And the best part was is I felt like I could have ran longer! I'm not a runner AT ALL but I really wanna be. Good for you!! An 11 minute mile is amazing!
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Dont worry so much about time especially just starting out. Enjoy it, if you feel good go a little faster, if not, go slower. On days you are trying to go a little farther purposely go slower. This is coming from a long time distance runner. Long slow running builds endurance, short fast and really fast running builds speed and efficiency. In a nutshell long slow builds efficiency too but its a different kind than short fast. I wont get into the science of it here just know both are good for you. When you are first starting to work on speed 5-10 seconds really hard followed by as long as it takes to recover is great. If your just starting out, start slow, you cant start slow enough and dont over do it on how much. Historical belief is not more than 10% more distance than you did the week before. You can over do it very easily just starting out. Give your body time to adjust and enjoy being out there.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous--an 11 minute mile is great, especially as a beginner. I've been running for about 6 months and my fastest time was this past weekend--completed a 5k in 34:04 (average pace about 10:59 mile). My usual pace is about a 12:00 minute mile, and slower on my long runs...
  • ardeornellis
    ardeornellis Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Dont worry so much about time especially just starting out. Enjoy it, if you feel good go a little faster, if not, go slower. On days you are trying to go a little farther purposely go slower. This is coming from a long time distance runner. Long slow running builds endurance, short fast and really fast running builds speed and efficiency. In a nutshell long slow builds efficiency too but its a different kind than short fast. I wont get into the science of it here just know both are good for you. When you are first starting to work on speed 5-10 seconds really hard followed by as long as it takes to recover is great. If your just starting out, start slow, you cant start slow enough and dont over do it on how much. Historical belief is not more than 10% more distance than you did the week before. You can over do it very easily just starting out. Give your body time to adjust and enjoy being out there.

Thanks! That sounds like very good advice.. I'm really not worried about my pace.. For me, fnishing each day is success. However, I do desire to continue training and someday reach a lifelong goal of running a marathon... Now that I am finished with the c25k, I am starting a Hal Higdon training plan... I am really becoming addicted to this thing called running..:)Your advice really is helpful as I go forward from here!!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I graduated from C25K at the end of July. A 10 minute mile is still a little beyond my comfort zone, but doable, on the indoor track at the gym. My best pace to date for a 3.2 mile roadside run is 5.4mph, or 11.11 minutes per mile.
  • ngolston
    ngolston Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm a little jealous :) I started running in February after a 13 year lay-off, I average 11:30-12 minutes a mile (3-4 miles) and feel pretty good to finish. I hope to get faster too but I haven't put in the work yet to get there :)
  • Michellerw1
    Options
    I have been pushing myself to make it in 10 minutes, so that I can do 3 miles in 30 minutes. It is torture! :)
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tip
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started running in late December, finished C25k in February, and ran my first 5k in March at about 9:30 minute mile pace. By May, I was doing a 9 minute mile. I timed myself doing a 5k at a 8:14 pace, but that was on very level ground. Most races around here aren't that level.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My last run was 3 miles in 26:50 so just a squeak under 9 minute/mile.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I usually run about a 7 to 8 minute mile. Depends on how far I am running. I've been running for years though and I'm pretty happy with that. My last 5k was actually 21 minutes so about a 6:30 pace but I was really pushing myself on that one.

Just learn how to put that wind in your run and you'll get there. But 10-11 minute mile is pretty good and most people don't need to go any further than that unless they are into racing.
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    My best time for a 5K is 31:03 minutes, im guessings that's about 10.54 minutes per mile. I run slower in summer when it's hot. Did 5k in 34:14 yesterday, so that's about 11:38. I've only been running about a year now.

That's me.
    Didn't see any progress for several months, so I've started doing some intensive uphill hiking lately, I hope it's going to help me run sub 30-min 5Ks soon
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    11 is great for just starting... When I first started I was running right about 11 or 10 min mile. After 3 years, I can run a mile in under 6 min for sure =] !! keep it up!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    It should be a comfortable pace when you're just starting out. 11 min/mile is probably good if you already are in pretty good aerobic shape. I started at about a 12-13 min/mile pace myself. Of course you're going to go faster with shorter distances, but the goal of C25K is to improve your endurance.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've been running off an on for 5 years. I still do between 11-12 minutes a mile. Granted I've never tried to run just one mile. I usually run 3-4 at a time.
  • ardeornellis
    ardeornellis Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! It's really helpful and encouraging to see where everyone started and where many of you are now.. My 11 min mile that I posted about was actually the average per mile of my first 3 mile run at the end of the C25K. From what I am reading from you guys, that's right where I need to be to continue building... I plan to run a 5K on the 17th of September, a 10K at the end of October and then a 1/2 marathon with a friend in November. The 1/2 is supposedly an easy course and is pretty flat. I know that's a BIG goal, but I am on track to do it using Hal Higdon's 1/2 training for a novice runner... Yall suggestions were very helpful as I continue to focus on endurance...
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    In high school my fastest was an 8 min mile. And now I run a mile in about 10-11 min or so. I haven't wanted to run cause I thought my husband would make fun or me ( he runs his mile no slower than 5 min ) But he has been really supportive and says that 10-11 min is good for someone who is just starting!