eaten alive

Options
This may be a stupid and/or unanswerable question: Is there a diet out there, or are there foods to avoid/eat in order to be AVOIDED by the beasts? I am living in Tennessee and I appear to be a magnet for mosquitos. I can’t even go outside much anymore, each time I go out for only a short time, I’ll be bitten 100 times. I’m itching top to toe. No bug spray helps. I wear long clothing in this da..mn heat and still, they bite through it. Any help would be appreciated

Replies

• shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Lots of B Vitamins is thought to help . . . works for me, anyway. Best of luck with that!
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I've found ingesting lots of garlic seems to help
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'm in New England and have always heard that if you eat lots of meat, mosquitoes will be attracted to you. Don't know if that's true, or not.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Use a neem shampoo or soap.

Seriously. Natural insect repellant.

Of course you'll smell like neem, but hey... I like neem.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Some of the natural repellents work better than the high percentage DEET stuff. My friend had one in Yellowstone that had geranium oil in it that was fantastic.

I'm in NM, but I work right next to the Rio Grande and we have crazy mosquitoes. I got Lulu Life's shea butter mosquito repellent and have yet to be bitten since.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/50606873/natural-mosquito-repellent-with-sudanese

Bonuses: You help support an awesome organization by ordering through Lulu Life AND your skin will be FANTASTIC. Seriously - I use the body butter every day and I've never had softer skin.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I think I was a very sexy mosquito in a past life because I attract them like no other. I tested conditions and no foods work for me. Insect repellant reduces the magnetism, but they have trouble resisting my charm
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I take a 1000 mg garlic supplement a day specifically for this very thing! I get eaten alive every summer and I can't take it! I am VERY sensitive to insect bites and this really works and fast too! Good luck!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I take a 1000 mg garlic supplement a day specifically for this very thing! I get eaten alive every summer and I can't take it! I am VERY sensitive to insect bites and this really works and fast too! Good luck!

Prevents vampire bites as well!
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options

Prevents vampire bites as well!

Even prevents those unwanted second dates.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    FYI - I eat very little meat, but get attacked every time I step outside, so we can chalk that up to myth.....
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I live in VT and my house is surrounded by water; sometimes it's like walking into a cloud of mosquitos if it's been raining a lot. I read this somewhere online and it really works.

Dryer sheets. Just last night I went on a twilight hike in the deep woods with a dryer sheet tucked in my bra. No problem with the mosquitos. Tonight, went for another hike and forgot the dryer sheet, the skeeters were all over me.
  • Madalynne
    Madalynne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I live in TN as well, and because I do a lot of stuff outside during the beginning of the summer, I take a garlic supplement - you don't smell bad to people like you would if you just ate lots of garlic - but it definitely keeps the mosquitoes away!
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Living in the home of those blood suckers in Louisiana I avoid to go outside after dark, but my husband and me noticed that since we cook nearly all possible meals with onions and garlic it keeps them away, because normally I seem to be their favorite dinner item on the plate and since we added onions and garlic to each and every day I had only 1 bite this whole week, which is a record!!!
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your responses. After itching all last night, little sleep and using a bottle of Benadryl on me, I will leave the house with my dog now with spray, dryer-sheet in my bra and garlic (I ate yesterday until I was nauseous). I am glad to hear, that vampires won’t bite me either and that poor husband gets bad garlic breath from now on, hehe. :smile:
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I get bit up pretty bad as well. Aside from work and going to the gym, I've hardly gone out all summer. The one time I went out to a birthday party at a pool house, I got bit up like crazy. Almost a month later and I still have marks. I will have to try the garlic/garlic suppliments since it keeps getting mentioned.
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I heard the geranium thing too and decided to try something: I broke off one of the leaf stems, tore it open with my fingernails and rubbed the contents on the nape of my neck, the fold inside my elbows and behind my knees, and behind my ears...To my greates surprise, it worked!!! I'm usually the person everyone loves to be around because all the little vampires come to me!!

PS, I've heard that eating bananas attracts them like crazy... and I've noticed over the years that having your period makes it worse, as well as the scent of breastmilk.

Good luck!!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    FYI - I eat very little meat, but get attacked every time I step outside, so we can chalk that up to myth.....
    That doesn't actually make it a myth, that just means that there's something else attracting them to you.

As Lily said above, bananas will draw them to you.

Food for thought ... or ... thought for food ... either way.