Raw VS Cooked weight of Tomato Sauce?

Options
lilygpcx
lilygpcx Posts: 2 Member
edited December 2018 in Food and Nutrition
In my nutrition plan, I am told to consume 560g of tomato sauce (on wholewheat pasta) within 7 days. When I do my meal preps on weekends, this amount of tomato sauce that I cook always ends up falling short. So I do not have enough sauce to put on my pasta (5 plates). Do you think the cooked weight of tomato sauce is less than raw? How do you suggest that I have enough sauce when cooked? Thank you.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Put a smaller amount of sauce on your pasta?
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Bound to be some reduction during cooking. Cook a larger amount of tomato sauce then weigh out 560g and use any left over sauce in another dish.
  • katphi1618
    katphi1618 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Sauce has water in it so it will evaporate when cooking. The nutrition will stay the same though.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Tomato sauce of itself is not calorie rich--it's the oil you put in. So the OP should be fine. Cheese is also high cal, so watch that too. I agree that there's a lot of water in tomatoes which evaporates, so add more water or make more sauce to begin with.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    5 plates of pasta at 560g is a whopping 32oz of sauce per plate of pasta!!!

What insane diet makes you eat 32oz of sauce on your plate of pasta 5 times a week? That one serving is enough for 4 people!!!

One other scary thought...is this prepared sauce or homemade? Prepared sauce almost always has wayyyy too much sodium, which of course leads to water retention.

560g of pasta sauce over 5 plates equates to 112g per plate. While pasta sauce (in the US at least) isn't typically sold by weight, but by volume, that ends up equaling to a little under 4oz (weight) of sauce per plate. That's just under one serving of Newman's Own tomato basil pasta sauce which is 80 calories per 125g.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    lilygpcx wrote: »
    In my nutrition plan, I am told to consume 560g of tomato sauce (on wholewheat pasta) within 7 days. When I do my meal preps on weekends, this amount of tomato sauce that I cook always ends up falling short. So I do not have enough sauce to put on my pasta (5 plates). Do you think the cooked weight of tomato sauce is less than raw? How do you suggest that I have enough sauce when cooked? Thank you.

This seems like an extraordinarily rigid plan. Although tracking food helps tremendously, remember that the calories stated on food packages are estimates and can be off as much as 20% up or down. This is not a precise, mathematical process. I would weigh it cooked unless the plan states that food should be weighed uncooked. Make a little more tomato sauce, or add water until you get enough. Keep track, weigh yourself regularly. Adjust based on results.

As someone else said, with pasta, it's the oil, butter, cheese, and the pasta itself that you have to worry about, not the tomatoes.