emotional aspect of all this

Options
anyone figured out why you overeat? I just recently lost 30 lbs and notice I feel pain now. I never felt pain much before, distracted myself with food and was happy but then I would never deal with stuff.

I have more self esteem now, realize when I am disrespected or being taken advantage of. It is like when I ate I didnt have to feel my feelings, very distracted like being drunk and who cares?

Seems like I can figure who I want in my life and who not. I can see more clearly which is definitely a good reason not to overeat!

I remember watching a lady whose husband died get up to 400 lbs and I thought that could be me. If I don't want to feel all I have to do is eat and then of course I never find solutions or healthy ways to cope like talking to friend, writing, staying busy, etc.

Replies

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    thanks so much, ya really understand, I thought I was just weird. Some people dont emotionally eat but I am one of them

You're totally in good company!

I think there is plenty of emotional eating and exercising going on.

If there weren't , then the yo-yo diet/workout threads wouldn't exist!

My answer to emotional drivers is my daily mantra: Only I have control over how other people make me feel.

good luck to you and good fitness to us all!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    yes some people are just jerks, has nothing to do with me. My self worth is getting much better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I've never been an "overeater" in that kind of emotional sense, but yeah...if that's an issue, that "stuff" definitely needs to be dealt with to have long term success I'd think.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    neskapolita, dont know how to respond, that is awful, I just know food doesnt solve anything, if you are upset, it just makes you fat and upset, makes all situations worse.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    I hate that commercial on tv when mother slides her daughter a chocolate bar under her door and says now things will be getting better, I must have taken that to heart somewhere down the line.

Yes! That commercial irks me too!
  • allarounddice
    allarounddice Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm tracking everything, I'm more and more aware of all of the emotional eating that I'm doing. Because I'm eating less, I realize what it feels like again to be hungry. I'm not eating as much food now and starting to feel better. My blood glucose is getting lower too!
  • Phoebe5164
    Phoebe5164 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It’s also a generational thing too , grandma gave us a kit kat with a bandaid, my mom cooks and bakes when she’s stressed because she’s lived without things.
    My generation (50)has always had everything, my kids think we have too much food in the freezer , buy too many groceries ....

20 year olds today could put a stop to emotional eating ... I hope they do 🌸
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I too for years was very much an emotional eater. Family issues, Job issues, Stress issues, and many of them almost had categories under them. Job and Stress were really big ones for me in last few years. And as I started my journey here in May, with logging food I also have been keeping a separate journal for what are my triggers. What could set me off. And learning to cope a different way than literally what had become my normal, which was abnormal.
    And eating and eating all that did was pack on more pounds, meant I had more medical issues. Quite the catch22.

We too decided to go away a bit for the Holidays to enjoy it. Instead of being the house everyone comes to after I did the majority of the cooking and baking. Hubby most of the cleaning.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    @brenn24179

Very interesting post. Though I've never considered myself an emotional eater, most of your other points hold true to me as well. Having my weight and fitness in check makes me more confident, I take less crap from people, my focus is better, etc.

The positive changes can go well beyond physical, and I'm glad you're one of the people seeing those other positive changes. Well done.