Pounds per week

Options
Hey all! I'm looking for a little advice here about how many pounds per week to set my calorie goal to - I have my activity level set to sedentary because I feel like it's true much of the time. However, I removed my exercise goals (I don't know that they really change the caloric intake calculation anyway...) and I will just subtract them as I exercise.
I've been maintaining my weight successfully for the past few weeks but it isn't really coming off (vacation/summer/etc are probably playing a role in that). Thus, I've been considering changing to 1.5 lbs/week from 2 lbs/week for a bit of a calorie boost and hopefully to rattle the scale - some loss beats no loss. Could this change be beneficial(1530 cal/day) or should I just stick it out with the calorie goal I've been using (1380 cal/day)? Opinions and experience welcome!
Also note that I'm easing into a lasting exercise program and I don't have a perfect diet yet, although I'm making replacements and I'm very conscious of it - I'm still working to get those areas up to par!
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• lindasain
    lindasain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    29 pounds is so awesome.. It takes time to change your life so don't be too hard on yourself. :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • aggiecs
    aggiecs Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Aww well thank you! I'm really excited about it :smile:
  • dannylives
    dannylives Posts: 611
    Options
    a pound a week is fine. i wrote this earlier in the day. "Since Iv'e been sober Iv'e kinda been keeping a journal and a Dayminder. Well yesterday I went back through both of them, made a timeline, and found out that this year, I had only 6 weeks of consistent exercise from April 25th - June 8th. I remember reaching for the goal so hard during that time. Before the 6 weeks, I thought for sure I'd drop some weight because I watched too many exercise infomercials and believed all the "get in shape for summer in just 6 weeks" lies at the supermarket. I think in July, I was just bummed that the scaled didn't move and my working out wasn't all there. August, all I did was walk two times! What I'm trying to say or tell you is not to get bummed if the weight doesn't come off as quick as you might think it will. And always seek out answers and never give up! Now, I have to try and get my spirits up and get myself to start working out again. I used to workout hard to look good quickly (and I did) but I'm finding out that the truly hard thing to do is to stay with it, day after day, for a long period of time, until it becomes a lifestyle, and "looking good" isn't the motivation anymore
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'd bump it down to 1 lb a week given you're already basically halfway to your goal - congrats! - it's YOUR goal and you can set it however you want. 2 lb a week though is a bit fast at your status now; typically, 2 lbs/week are for folks with 50+ lbs to lose (I believe).

No one's going to come after you with torches and pitchforks if you lower your goal. This is YOUR weight loss! :flowerforyou:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Try more calories! I am a big fan of eating more. I have mine set to 0.5lbs per week.

And no, I don't think the exercise goals do anything at all.
  • aggiecs
    aggiecs Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! These are all really good points, I've changed my goals accordingly! I'm excited to stick it out - I realized yesterday that I'm starting to have some muscle definition...whoop!!