Running - miles per day or per week? Multiple runs per day?

withinthemargin
withinthemargin Posts: 14 Member
edited December 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all,

I'm trying to just get my running routine started, but see a lot of information about increasing distances at set percentages. The standard suggestion (and I realize there are problems with any "standard") is to increase by 10%. But I'm wondering - is this limitation on a per day basis? Per run basis? Per week basis? As an example, if I run 3 mi/day for 5 days, can I run 3.3 mi/day for 7 days the next week? Or if I plan to run 7 days the next week, do I need to reduce my distances to ~2.5 miles?

Not 100% related, but I didn't want to start another thread - let's say I want to "travel" 5 miles on the treadmill, and I want to do 3 of those miles at a running pace. Assuming a 7.5 running pace and 4.0 walking pace, does it matter whether I run 3 miles, then walk 2 miles, vs. run 1 mile, walk 1 mile, run 1 mile, etc?

Edited to add: My goal for running isn't to enter races/competitions, etc. It's purely as a method of exercise/burning calories, and maybe a little bit of bragging rights. But my ultimate goal is to get skinnier, and by extension, lose weight.

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    What's your baseline mileage?

If you've never run before, a good way to avoid injury is to start with an established program like C25K. That will ease you into it, and give you a good idea of what a training plan looks like.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited December 2018
    If you are truly just starting, get a plan and stick to it. Couch to 5K is a very good one. Runners World and Hal Higdon also have good ones. Don't over think things.

To answer your question directly, the 10% rule generally means miles per week AND your long run (one per week). And there are typically cut back weeks (so not every week adds distance or time). But that is way down the road and even then it is best to stick to a well designed plan.

Walking and running are 2 different activities. I would not count walking in my running miles (unless I am purposely walking like ALL good beginner plans dictate).

Good luck. Don't over do things - Many new runners want to push the boundaries and get hurt.
  • withinthemargin
    What's your baseline mileage?

If you've never run before, a good way to avoid injury is to start with an established program like C25K. That will ease you into it, and give you a good idea of what a training plan looks like.

I haven't run for a little while, but always been somewhat athletic. So I don't have a baseline mileage now, but about 1-2 years ago I was running about 5 miles per day, 5 days/week, so I really just want to get up to that (but now have time to run 7 days/week), and maybe every once in a while do a 10ish mile run when I have time.
  • withinthemargin
    edited December 2018
    Thanks, I looked at couch to 5k, but just feel like I'm basically already at the end point of that, so I guess a better, more direct question is, what do people do after they're done with the couch to 5k program? I've only been able to find those types of programs, and then programs at the very high end of people who are running over 50 miles per week. It seems like the middle group is left with no guidance.
    I strongly advise against running 7 days a week at this point.

Thanks, is this because I should take a full rest day? Or would you recommend throwing in biking or something less impact heavy?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Thanks, I looked at couch to 5k, but just feel like I'm basically already at the end point of that, so I guess a better, more direct question is, what do people do after they're done with the couch to 5k program? I've only been able to find those types of programs, and then programs at the very high end of people who are running over 50 miles per week. It seems like the middle group is left with no guidance.

Thanks, is this because I should take a full rest day? Or would you recommend throwing in biking or something less impact heavy?

You could do a bridge to 10K program. Or really, any intro to 10K plan would help, if you're confident about where you're starting.

Or, start halfway through C25K, and see how it feels. If it feels good, keep going and finish it. If it doesn't feel good, that gives you an indication about your current status.
  • withinthemargin
    Thanks, didn't know about the bridge to 10k, but will look into that.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    But my ultimate goal is to get skinnier, and by extension, lose weight.

Oh, then simply eat in a slight calorie deficit. And do strength training so you don't lose muscle. :+1:
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    I like the above suggestion of trying g out a week halfway thru the program and see how you do with that. If you do well, try the next. Once you are done, you can try to do Hal Higdon’s beginner 10K plan. Then make your way into the 15K/10M plan.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    edited December 2018
    I’m sorry, I can’t find if you answered what you’re currently running/doing for fitness right now.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited December 2018

Try a 5k to 10k program, or another specific distance training program, if you can run 5k without stopping. If you aren’t at that level yet, then start halfway through C25K. Better to start too simple than too hard.

You may need a full rest day between running days, or you may be able to do other activities. I would not advocate doing strenuous cardio on your alternate days unless you already have a high level of fitness. I personally did a simple strength routine on my off days when I was learning to run, as well as some hiking and short walks. I do more now, but I still benefit from at least one full rest day per week.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I agree with choosing a 10k training plan.

Or, just start with running 3 x a week, maybe 4k, 4k and 5k and then slowly build up from there.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    10% can be to every run, but most people add it to the long run. 10% every run is the same as every week ;)

Now one problem is that you shouldn't do all your miles in that single long run. If you are at 10 miles a week, 3 runs a will land your long run is 5 miles, pretty soon that long run will be most your weekly mileage. In 5 weeks you'd be running two 2.5 Mike runs and a 10 Mike long run!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    The usual recommendation is to add no more than 10% per week, with a cut back every 3-4 weeks. i.e. 15, 16.5, 18, 15, 20, etc. If you add a day of running (i.e. go from 3 to 4 days a week) don't just add 3 to 4 miles. It's better to take your existing miles and spread them out over the extra day. i.e. 12 miles can be 3 x 4 or 4 x 3. You also want to keep your longest run from becoming more than 50% of your total mileage. Better is if it's only about 1/3 of your total mileage. As you add miles to your week, spread them out so it isn't all going to your long run.
  • withinthemargin
    I’m sorry, I can’t find if you answered what you’re currently running/doing for fitness right now.

I'm not really currently doing anything. I can pretty easily just start and get on the treadmill for 3 miles at a steady run speed (7.0-7.5). There have been various times in the past couple years where I've tried to start running again and done that, but then had to travel, go to events, and eat pretty poorly without a lot of time for exercise. Thankfully, I've gotten out of those assignments now so can focus on exercising more again, but I feel like I need to do something everyday that's going to make me sweat hard, otherwise I just feel like I'm being lazy.

I have a lot more free time, and I'd like to spend some of it exercising, but I do still want to be conscious of getting injured. On the other hand, I also want to be conscious of the fact that I'm very capable of convincing myself to be lazier in the spirit of avoiding injury.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    If you're not currently running regularly, and it has been several months since you've done so, I recommend starting with 3 days a week, to allow sufficient recovery time for your bones and connective tissue. One study showed that after 6 months of detraining, bone density increases associated with high-impact training had largely been lost.

Take a look at a good running book, like Jack Daniels, Daniels' Running Formula, or Pete Magill et al., Build Your Running Body, for more detailed advice on how to build up frequency and volume. If you want to do moderate cardio on non-running days, there are plenty of lower-impact options like swimming, cycling, and rowing.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member

I'm not really currently doing anything. I can pretty easily just start and get on the treadmill for 3 miles at a steady run speed (7.0-7.5). There have been various times in the past couple years where I've tried to start running again and done that, but then had to travel, go to events, and eat pretty poorly without a lot of time for exercise. Thankfully, I've gotten out of those assignments now so can focus on exercising more again, but I feel like I need to do something everyday that's going to make me sweat hard, otherwise I just feel like I'm being lazy.

I have a lot more free time, and I'd like to spend some of it exercising, but I do still want to be conscious of getting injured. On the other hand, I also want to be conscious of the fact that I'm very capable of convincing myself to be lazier in the spirit of avoiding injury.

Your thinking in bold is not completely accurate. I don’t know why you think that after not having been exercising, you have to sweat hard every day or else you’re lazy.
    A beginner (or restarter) does not need and should not do intense workouts everyday. A beginner should ramp up gradually to let the body acclimate. Everyone needs rest days. You can easily become injured and/or exhausted. You can be active everyday, such as a long walk or easy bike ride, in between more intense workout days.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Rest days are what makes you stronger.

It is not a sign of laziness