Meal replacement shakes and weight loss pills

Options
2»

Replies

• beast_kitty89
    beast_kitty89 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I drank Ensure in the morning. I would then eat 2-3 hours later. I also make my own shakes and smoothies. Really, people with medical needs such as myself benefit from shakes. Healthy people should learn how to eat rather than using a shake to lose weight. Like everyone has said, you will not learn drinking shakes and thus will just put all the weight back on.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I tried Natural Foods PGX meal replacement for a while and all it did was make me hungry.

These meal replacement shakes are crap IMHO. if you lack proper nutrition, take a multivitamin and eat foods rich in protein. My favorites are: Pumpkin seeds, plain Greek yogurt, low fat Swiss cheese, lean meats, salmon, tuna, and beans.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is not a dead car battery and hence does not need a "jump start." Just nope.

Once awhile if I'm in a big hurry, behind on meals/cals, and zero time to actually eat anything, a meal replacement shake isn't a bad thing, just grab one and go. But for me they aren't particularly satisfying (they take the edge off of hunger for me but I'm not like, oh wow I'm so glad I had that instead of actual solid food) and definitely not something I'm gonna buy on a daily basis.
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi,I have used both meal replacements and pills.The pills did work,but I was under the care of a Dr. I wouldn't take any pills without medical advice and proper blood work and ekg's done 1st....Also,the pills are temporary so the Dr. will(or should) also put you on some type of eating plan for the long run.

I LOVE my meal replacement shakes! I'm NOT against them.1st reason-They help my hair grow faster,2nd-They are convenient when I don't have any meals prepped,3rd-I often have a problem getting enough protein in my diet,so they help on those days. I work in the medical field,sometimes we can't take a proper lunch break,so I'll just take 5 minutes to drink one...works for me!

Some are better that others based on your bodies needs.I choose low carb,high protein varieties that don't taste gross. I like Premier Protein Banana and GNC lean Banana...I freeze them just a lil...If completely frozen they will be gross..just 20 min or so. I also make 'protein coffee' with the other flavors....half a can added to your coffee..great way to add protein and vitamins for people like me.

Good Luck
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    My view is that they're fine as long as they're a part of your normal eating and not a departure from it. By this I mean:
    Shakes to REPLACE meals with the aim of losing weight is a disaster. As soon as you stop replacing your meals with shakes you'll more than likely just end up back where you started as your temporary fix is no longer providing the temporary benefits.

Shakes AS a meal is fine. I see nothing wrong with grabbing a smoothie or a shake as a convenient meal that forms part of your normal eating habits. They're quick and easy and are great when you're in a rush or just couldn't be bothered making something.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    My view is that they're fine as long as they're a part of your normal eating and not a departure from it. By this I mean:
    Shakes to REPLACE meals with the aim of losing weight is a disaster. As soon as you stop replacing your meals with shakes you'll more than likely just end up back where you started as your temporary fix is no longer providing the temporary benefits.

Shakes AS a meal is fine. I see nothing wrong with grabbing a smoothie or a shake as a convenient meal that forms part of your normal eating habits. They're quick and easy and are great when you're in a rush or just couldn't be bothered making something.

Good point. I have never been one to eat much breakfast. Before starting on this healthy eating plan, I would always just eat a Nature Valley bar for breakfast. Compared to the rest of my diet they actually weren't awful health wise. After seeing my weight loss doctor, she mentioned the Pure Protein bar and that's what I eat for breakfast now. I'm not one for the shakes though....I tried Slim Fast shakes years ago. They taste great but you are hungry about 30 minutes later.