Aiming for Tough Mudder

Options
Hi! After much sadness over gaining weight recently, I decided to do something about it after finding a reason WHY. I Would like to loose 40 pounds as well as participate in the Tough Mudder (www.toughmudder.com) in January. I know i am terribly out of shape but I know I am capable of getting in shape quickly. I love that I can update from my phone and have a HUGE degree of nutritional accountability with me where ever I am.

The last time I was in GREAT shape was just before I was pregnant with my nearly 4year old daughter. I stayed in shape through her whole pregnancy and it made such a difference for delivery and post partum compared to my first pregnancy. Sadly, as is typically the way with motherhood, the weight and inactivity crept back. I don't want to be a bad example for my kids, I want the good habits to stick.

One of the main reasons I have picked the Tough Mudder as a goal is because it's so big. It's something my kids, though young, will be able to see and remember. Something they can emulate later in life.

Wish me luck!!

Replies

• overzoelous
    overzoelous Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Good for you! There are example exercises that you can do in order to train for it on the website. I would LOVE to do Tough Mudder at some point, but I'm starting slow with a 5k first hahaha. I've always wondered how many joules the electric shock therapy transmits to you?
  • JohnnyStorm
    JohnnyStorm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What a great Idea! That looks like a blast.

You've got the right mindset. I'm sure you will reach your goal and what a wonderful example for your kids. Getting fit AND having fun doing it. Smart parent.
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, I have never heard of Tough Mudder it looks insane lol. I put my weight back on after having my twins too and found it hard to remember how it felt to be light again so I don't feel heavy though I know I am. Good luck with everything
  • sarahsoki
    Options
    They say it's 10,000 volts but that couldn't possibly be how much actually hits you. The videos of people running through "vines" of live wires is pretty comical. You have people who just drop to the ground and people who run through cussing, LOL!!

I LOOOOOVE the circuit they have on the site! Those are the kinds of exercises personal trainers give you. I haven't actually done it yet, just went back to the gym for the first time in months today. I'll probably spend this weekend practicing the TM circuit and then get to it on Monday. I kind of have an adrenaline rush thinking about it.
  • diplomad
    diplomad Posts: 51
    Options
    I would love to try to run the one in Atlanta in February myself. Im really hoping Ill be in shape for it. If I dont compete this year then I at least plan on spectating and then competing next year. I just heard about it a few months ago, but its put me in high gear for sure.

Good luck!
  • DeeDV9
    DeeDV9 Posts: 1
    Options
    Congrats on choosing to participate in Tough Mudder! If you're looking for advice and tips from past Mudders, I encourage to check out ToughestMudder.com. It's a great place for motivation and advice. Good luck!!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to do the Tough Mudder in PA, but I'm so afraid I don't have the endurance to do it. Anyone aware of an ostacle course challenge in this region that may be for a more beginner level? I think courses are kick *kitten*!

Shannon