Crossfitters Welcome

Options

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I love crossfit!! Best thing for me physically. maintained a 70lb weight loss and can lift more than I weigh =WIN. Its my therapy time
  • KETO12CROSSFIT
    KETO12CROSSFIT Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My major issues with CrossFit are the emphasis on speed (at the obvious expense of form in the everyday person ranks) and the attendant high rates of injury. It's not that a person can't do CrossFit and be highly successful...any given individual can. However, in my opinion the "sport" is as much about elitism as it is about fitness, and the vocal adherents tend to be cut from the same cloth, which you represent pretty well; former or current athletes that crave a competitive outlet. I fit that mold well myself.

Basically all public level lifting is a disaster for form. CrossFit compounds it by pushing for faster execution.

Well said. Fair enough.
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    Functional fitness at high intensity. Constantly varied. Most people that knock it can’t hack it anyway. So the haters are welcome too.

There is a tremendous difference between what you are calling intensity and just speed. I challenge you to realize it in this manner......do as many kipping pull ups as you can in 1 min.....than do just 2 full range slow motion 30 second pulls ups. You will find intensity has absolutely nothing to do with the speed in which you do an exercise. As far as functional fitness, thats a buzz word, all real fitness is functional. But i have had to take many classes to learn corrective exercises to help people who do crossfit release what is called "frozen" hips due to constantly moving in only one plane of up and down motion.

I freely admit i do not like crossfit. But i wont trash your thread. Because you seem to be all in and im sure we will never agree.
  • bojack5
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I'm no crossfitter per se, but I do think crossfit in general promotes a good balance of diet, exercise, motivation, & healthy lifestyle choices. I like how balanced it is in terms of using a good mix of calisthenics, compound lifts, Olympic lifts, etc. (this is a huge plus for experienced lifters who face burnout/boredom)

I'm just not 100% on some of the unique exercises & sometimes questionable "games" where quantity reps > quality reps & exercise is timed (faster reps with poorer form over quality form with deliberate rhythm ex) fast concentric, slow negative).

Compound olympic style lifts are meant for weight, not speed. Trying to see how many reps you can do for time with complex compound lifts is probably not the best idea.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »
    I'm no crossfitter per se, but I do think crossfit in general promotes a good balance of diet, exercise, motivation, & healthy lifestyle choices. I like how balanced it is in terms of using a good mix of calisthenics, compound lifts, Olympic lifts, etc. (this is a huge plus for experienced lifters who face burnout/boredom)

I'm just not 100% on some of the unique exercises & sometimes questionable "games" where quantity reps > quality reps & exercise is timed (faster reps with poorer form over quality form with deliberate rhythm ex) fast concentric, slow negative).

Compound olympic style lifts are meant for weight, not speed. Trying to see how many reps you can do for time with complex compound lifts is probably not the best idea.

Exactly the point I'm trying to make
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I love the concept... just wish it wasn't so expensive.
  • KETO12CROSSFIT
    Options
    Apparently I’m rich with poor form and will likely end up in a wheel chair.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    My major issues with CrossFit are the emphasis on speed (at the obvious expense of form in the everyday person ranks) and the attendant high rates of injury. It's not that a person can't do CrossFit and be highly successful...any given individual can. However, in my opinion the "sport" is as much about elitism as it is about fitness, and the vocal adherents tend to be cut from the same cloth, which you represent pretty well; former or current athletes that crave a competitive outlet. I fit that mold well myself.

Basically all public level lifting is a disaster for form. CrossFit compounds it by pushing for faster execution.

Well said. Fair enough.

The attitude of crossfitters i encounter is generally ‘dude, come at me bro’. And that’s just the females I know. I imagined/assumed that guys were right on par with that or worse. I’ll readily admit, it’s that air of ready provocation that keeps me far away.

So this response was a breath of fresh air.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I love a healthy debate. It’s how we all grow, learn more and get better. I fit haters in with my macros. I’m a Christian too if the trolls want to come at me on that too. I’ll put the coffee on.

we’re not allowed to discuss religion on these boards

Honestly it was just an example. Thanks for the tip though. Heads up, I’d win there too.

Chad?
    Absolutely. I love a healthy debate. It’s how we all grow, learn more and get better. I fit haters in with my macros. I’m a Christian too if the trolls want to come at me on that too. I’ll put the coffee on.

we’re not allowed to discuss religion on these boards

Honestly it was just an example. Thanks for the tip though. Heads up, I’d win there too.

Chad?

Salad?

Also this is my favorite mfp reunion to date
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

Well said. Fair enough.

The attitude of crossfitters i encounter is generally ‘dude, come at me bro’. And that’s just the females I know. I imagined/assumed that guys were right on par with that or worse. I’ll readily admit, it’s that air of ready provocation that keeps me far away.

As a female crossfitter, I really hope I do not come off that way.

As far as poor form and injuries, I think that has more to do with the coach and programming than crossfit itself. Any decent coach will tell you if you have to sacrifice good form, then you need to lower the weights.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Here’s my penn’orth. Expensive? My CrossFit gym (yes, I’m a member) costs around £60 per month depending on plan. My local gym is around £20, but thee are plenty of big chain gyms where £60 would be the cheaper package.

For that monthly cost I get as many classes as I can do. I could go daily, I could go several TIMES a day. Each class has a coach to watch what I am doing, and stop me from being stupid. So I’m paying for a monitored class, AND I can also go to Open Gym to do my own stuff (not treadmills though. Oh, what shall I do? No treadmill? I know, I’ll run OUTSIDE!! Oh but it’s raining. Then I get wet. Thing about skin is – it’s waterproof).

Getting injured – yep. You can get injured. You can also fall over walking down the street, and get hit by a car, which is less likely to happen in a Crossfit gym.

Lifting weights and injuring myself. There’s this thing called ‘Scaling’. So I had a hamstring issue recently, asked the coach, and we scaled the lunges by putting a pad down for one knee so I didn’t hurt myself further.

Speed and poor form. Who is lifting the weights with poor form? You are. Who is to blame for you lifting the weights with poor form? You are. Scale it down if you can’t maintain form, do the reps with the bar if need be.

I dunno maybe I’m just at a different place in my life where I can control myself not to get injured, can challenge myself as much as I need to that day, and don’t give a damn if I don’t get a high five at the end of it (despite which, I still get them). I’m only competing with myself.

I like the Crossfit gym, personally I like the variety, and the camaraderie. If I wanted to do Oly lifts all the time then I’d go elsewhere. When I want to run I run (outside). It works for me, and it seems to work for many others too.
  • KETO12CROSSFIT
    Options

Well said. Fair enough.

I appreciate that. I encourage anyone trying to better themselves is any realm of fitness.
  • KETO12CROSSFIT
    Options

Well said. Fair enough.

As far as poor form and injuries, I think that has more to do with the coach and programming than crossfit itself. Any decent coach will tell you if you have to sacrifice good form, than you need to lower the weights.

Preach
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

Well said. Fair enough.

That's interesting. I see a lot of that attitude online, but the crossfit people I know IRL have never been that way... never been people to jam any sort of traning or diet or mantra down anyone else's throats. I guess I just assumed that reputation was more because the mob/pile on mentality that happens online.
  • bojack5
    edited December 2018
    Options

Well said. Fair enough.

As far as poor form and injuries, I think that has more to do with the coach and programming than crossfit itself. Any decent coach will tell you if you have to sacrifice good form, then you need to lower the weights.

This is very true. Problem being, in a one weekend course anyone can become a crossfit coach. That is problematic
  • Cassandraw3
    Options

Well said. Fair enough.

This is very true. Problem being, in a one weekend course anyone can become a crossfit coach. That is problematic

With this, I agree. A crossfit certification shouldn't be all that is required. Which is why I go to a gym where the coaches went to school for this and have other certifications as well to qualify them.
  • KETO12CROSSFIT
    Options

Well said. Fair enough.

With this, I agree. A crossfit certification shouldn't be all that is required. Which is why I go to a gym where the coaches went to school for this and have other certifications as well to qualify them.

And again, I’m not on here trying to recruit or so set in my ways saying my way is the only way. Crossfit works for me right now. I continue to train this way because I see results. When that concept stalls, I’ll move on to something else but I refuse to stop evolving and will always push the envelope.
  • Cassandraw3
    Options

Well said. Fair enough.

And again, I’m not on here trying to recruit or so set in my ways saying my way is the only way. Crossfit works for me right now. I continue to train this way because I see results. When that concept stalls, I’ll move on to something else but I refuse to stop evolving and will always push the envelope.

Don't get me wrong, I think crossfit is great and I love it. But it really matters where you go. Each gym is different with different coaches and different programming. If you do not go somewhere that knows how to program properly, you will not progress nearly as well as you could. If you go somewhere with good programming, you will continue to make progress.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Exactly

i was just wondering what all it involved but i guess it’s above my head bc i dont know what functional fitness meand

It means lifting stuff with poor form, just like everyday life. Hence functional. ;)

i just heard some people love it and idk i’ll try anything but then one time someone said “omg you have to try orange theory” so i tried orange theory and it was like boot camp with the real housewives of NY :( i cant do that again, it crushed my soul

and then that time i tried hot yoga and almost died bc i kept holding my breath so i didn’t breath in other people’s sticky humid body odor air

and pilates was just boring

can anyone for real explain crossfit

Wait. You're in NY?