how to tell when you're hungry

Options
2»

Replies

• admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Everyone’s hunger cues will vary but for me my head starts to hurt and I begin to feel slightly dizzy/tired. My stomach also grumbles a lot.
    Whenever I’m not hungry and want to eat I’m more picky about what I eat because it’s more for the indulgence purposes versus trying to silence my hunger.
  • Salixiana
    Salixiana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I sort hunger sensations into two categories:

1) Mild hunger, which doesn't actually prevent me from thinking or working. I respond to this by telling myself that this is the natural sensation of losing weight. This is what eating at a deficit feels like. It's fine.

2) Serious hunger, where I can't concentrate and feel too tired to do what I need to. In that case, I eat some nutrient-dense non-sugary food, regardless of whether it's my usual mealtime or not.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I drink A LOT of water thru-out the day and night ( I crave water now--when I was obese/overweight...I HATED drinking water) and now, during this getting down to size adventure (about a year) I have learned when I'm TRULY hungry vs. thirsty. When I'm hungry, I start "belching" of all things (weird, I know) Not a lot of belching, just one or two and start "thinking" about food--that's my "cue" it's time to chow down. My "burping" :* without having had anything to eat, let's me know my body wants to feed now and/or soon. There is absolutely no pain/discomfort or angst at all when I'm hungry (there was mega pain and angst when I "thought" I was hungry when I was obese/overweight). My "hunger" is no longer what it used to be when I was obese/overweight. Back then I used to feel ravenous (a lot) and ummmmm--let's say desperate almost, now when I'm hungry it's no longer a "I'm STARVING" and gotten eat A LOT of something NOW type of "feeling", but again a very gentle and super mild/cool/calm "hey...let's get down on some chow now or soon" type of feeling. It's wonderful actually!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    EloiseBean wrote: »
    i know this sounds stupid but i have a hard time knowing when i'm really hungry. for the most part i eat out of boredom or stress. my first meal of the day is the only time i can tell when i need food, but after that it feels like boredom binging. should i only eat one meal a day.

If I don't get adequate sleep or exercise I want to boredom eat in the afternoons, so work on my sleep hygiene and exercise at lunchtime.

For me, wanting to boredom eat feels different from real hunger.

@lemurcat2 you had a good post about how you manage your hunger cues with regular meal times on another thread - care to repost here?
  • ccol4him
    ccol4him Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've mistaken indigestions for hunger, before.
    It's not fun to deal with afterward. Now, I try to remember when I ate last and look at my log.
  • FitnTrimSteve
    FitnTrimSteve Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I've used something like this before. When I can't decide if I'm hungry, bored, or stressed, I will assess my hunger on a scale like this and wait. While I'm waiting I do something else to take my mind off food. If after 10 minutes or so, I still feel like I need to eat and I'm in the right area on the hunger scale, I have my permission to eat.

https://medical.mit.edu/sites/default/files/hunger_scale.pdf
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Here's a few additional hunger scales that may be helpful in deciding whether you're hungry or not:

http://intuitive-eating.blogspot.com/2007/02/different-hunger-scales.html
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Hunger=empty feeling and stomach growling. It's a gnawing feeling for me
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    EloiseBean wrote: »
    i know this sounds stupid but i have a hard time knowing when i'm really hungry. for the most part i eat out of boredom or stress. my first meal of the day is the only time i can tell when i need food, but after that it feels like boredom binging. should i only eat one meal a day.

If I don't get adequate sleep or exercise I want to boredom eat in the afternoons, so work on my sleep hygiene and exercise at lunchtime.

For me, wanting to boredom eat feels different from real hunger.

@lemurcat2 you had a good post about how you manage your hunger cues with regular meal times on another thread - care to repost here?

Heh, took me a minute to figure out which one you might be referring to. Maybe this?

____

Some people do well eating when hungry, but my desire to eat (which might feel like hunger) is very much habitual and responsive to other things (food I like being available, others eating and socializing, wanting to take a break or put something off or reward or comfort myself). Therefore, thinking I should eat when hungry and not eat when not hungry doesn't work for me. I'm much, much better off with structure, which means three healthful meals and maybe a small extra after dinner. But that doesn't mean I'm suppressing appetite, it means I'm normally hungry when I eat and not thinking about food when I'm not (other than perhaps anticipating something I will eat later).

I don't have set times when I eat breakfast/lunch/dinner, although normally breakfast is after I run in the morning (so maybe 7) or else earlier if I don't run (6), lunch is broadly around noon (11:30-1:30), and dinner is pretty late since I get home late and cook (9-10). On Fridays I might skip breakfast or lunch and eat much earlier if I'm going out (dinner before theater or the like), or on Saturday/Sunday I might have a brunch/late breakfast and then dinner. I'm flexible, I just don't snack and like some sort of structure.

As far as what I eat, I've always had the sense that meals = protein + vegetables (or maybe fruit instead at breakfast) + whatever else fills it out, and always tended to eat pretty healthfully at meals (portions and snacking and treating a nice restaurant as a reason to ignore portions were my downfalls). So my preference AND my plan are basically aligned, except I'm even more focused on trying to eat a good amount of veg at all meals (including breakfast) and making sure I have a decent amount of protein at all, unless for some reason it's not possible. I don't snack because I don't find that satiating, and I tend to regret wasting the calories unless something is really, really special, and then I try to work it into day and will include it as part of a meal/dessert.

_____

To the OP: I'll add that I think it makes sense to figure out a reasonable calorie goal for you and what you want to eat within that goal -- for me it's important to meet my protein goal (currently 90-100 g) and get in many servings of vegetables. If you can meet your goals at a single meal and feel good doing that, go for it, but I would have a hard time eating enough calories (let alone protein and veg) at a single meal. I could no question put away 1500 cal in a meal, but it wouldn't meet my nutritional preferences.

You might want to try spreading calories into 2 or 3 (or whatever) meals at convenient times and see how you feel. After a while of watching calories and not eating from boredom, you may find yourself starting to be able to tell real hunger from "I want to snack" in the mind. I also found journaling really helpful, especially since I am prone to emotional eating as well as eating for procrastination. I'll note that I'm feeling a desire to eat and there's no reason I should need to eat now, so maybe put down a few thoughts about what I think it might be. (This doesn't work for everyone, but I enjoy it and find it helpful in becoming more mindful.)
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Since becoming more mindful about eating, I have discovered the joy of getting hungry and satisfying that hunger appropriately. Previously my eating was usually habit, boredom, routine, mindless. I rarely experienced actual hunger pangs and often experienced discomfort from eating inappropriately or too much. It is so lovely to feel in touch with my own needs and my body’s cues and to feel the deep satisfaction of meeting my own needs and physically feeling the hunger subside.