Best non-alcoholic and non-dairy holiday drinks

Options
missmince
missmince Posts: 76 Member
I'm trying to find replacements for drinks like eggnog and hot buttered rum cider that have made winter more bearable. My doctor says my liver difficulties aren't due to alcohol or weight, but any alcohol is liver unfriendly, so am I very sadly giving it up. I think it was the alcohol that made the dairy substitutes taste OK, so I want some new warming drinks to help me get through a long Maine winter.

I'd love to hear others' favorites (but am uninterested in getting health advice.)

Calories are not my concern, just dairy and alcohol, so low cal doesn't matter.

Replies

• IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    2 cranberries for aesthetics, ocean spray cranberry lite (5 cals) (4/5th) plus dearpark sparkling (1/5th) chill both, put in pretty glass no ice needed. Big hit.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Hot cider with cinnamon, cloves, orange slices -- no alcohol, no butter.

There are special "winter spice" teas with nutmeg, ginger, and similar spices available - as black tea, decaf black tea, and herbal blends.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Ginger and turmeric latte yummy
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    ^^My phone won't let me edit but this is vegan so it is dairy free
  • veggie16mfp
    veggie16mfp Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don’t know if you have Schloer but I got the red grape juice at the weekend and made “mulled wine” with it. It was so good my guests didn’t realise it had no alcohol.
    I used fresh oranges, blackberries, blueberries, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, mixed spice, a grate of ginger and a tiny bit of a red chilli pepper. I also added muscovado brown sugar.
    I also used it to poach pears in for dessert.
  • veggie16mfp
    veggie16mfp Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For dairy free eggnog I use cashew milk because it is very creamy. I add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup to 400ml of cashew milk. Brew with preferred spices, I love nutmeg and cinnamon. You can also throw in some cashews and blend them.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I found a peppermint mocha almond milk at Target. I've been heating that on the stove with coffee.
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love hot cocoa. There are some non-dairy mixes out there. I like to change up how I drink it too to keep it from getting boring. I might drink it plain, stir it with a candy cane for a peppermint flavor, or use coffee mate flavors.

There is also a k cup for hot apple cider that is really yummy.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I like Dandy Blend - It's a coffee substitute that is gluten free and super yummy. It also supports the liver due to the roasted dandelion root! I use about a tablespoon and a half to 16 oz water. I put enough water in to make a slurry and then use a hand blender to whip it. After that I pour the rest of the hot water in it. It looks like an espresso with creme on top. It's naturally sweet and really doesn't need any sugar. It's also great cold with ice. Topped with cinnamon and/or nutmeg and you're all set!

Ref:

https://dandyblend.com/faqs/

https://www.naturimedica.com/dandelion-the-key-herb-for-liver-health-better-digestion-and-beautiful-skin/

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-706/dandelion
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i'd suggest looking up mocktails. i have found some great recipes on pinterest.