Self control?

Options
How to avoid eating unhealthy foods if they are in close reach?

Replies

• CrimsonFireLight9
    Options
    Unhealthy like junk food and sweets which I totally have to avoid.
  • CrimsonFireLight9
    Options
    I have more trouble with sweets if they’re in near distance of me.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Self control is a limited resource. Use it wisely. Better to adopt new habits that help you cope with the inevitable temptations, whatever they may be (both the temptations and the habits). What specifically are you struggling with the most?

ETA also, how are you defining unhealthy?

This.

the problem with self control is you don't just sorta face it once, it's a continuous battle. like put my fav cookies in front of me and make me sit there two hours that means i have to "show self control' at last once per few minutes. that often!

so you need tools OTHER than self control.

Maybe some context to the type of situation would allow us to give more specific tips?
  • CrimsonFireLight9
    Options
    Other tools as other things to do I’m thinking.
  • 131runner262
    131runner262 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it in the first place really helps me. Don't shop when you are hungry or have cravings. I personally find I have more self control to.not buy something or not even go down that Aile then I do if it's sitting in my house.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Don't let them near you if you can manage it, hide them if someone else in the house insists on having them around, and fill up on healthy foods so when you do come across the unhealthy stuff, you aren't tempted so much.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it in the first place really helps me. Don't shop when you are hungry or have cravings. I personally find I have more self control to.not buy something or not even go down that Aile then I do if it's sitting in my house.

This! If I shouldn't be eating it. I don't buy it. I restrict sweets for when I eat out. If I host something that involves things I shouldn't normally eat, I give away the left overs.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, some of us live with people who keep them in the house. That is (one of) my biggest struggles. I feel your pain. I live with my sister, who has absolutely no intentions to diet now or ever, so she constantly has junk food that tempts me. What I am going to start doing is logging everything in the morning with all my own food, so that there isn't even an option for anything else.
  • MissShancey1
    MissShancey1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I few things help me stay on track... most of them are positive self talk.... if I feel myself going for am unhealthy choice I remind myself that I am trying to do what is best for the health of my body... my body is not a garbage can so don't put trash inside... then allowing myself to indulge in my most favorite treats also helps me avoid the less desirable sweets or junk
  • DrivAnna
    DrivAnna Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Recently I had to use self-control as it relates to eating my absolute favorite: Sugar Cookies. I love sugar cookies and they are certainly in reach every time I go in the kitchen. They are just too tempting, and I eat way too many cookies at one time (normally between 9pm and 10pm) Sugar is where I struggle. So, anything that tempts me I have to get rid of eat.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    look at certain foods as dangerous, I know not to have much of them. I go to healthy foods. I keep reminding myself there is nothing positive in those cakes, cookies. yes, dangerous, reminds me of toxic people in my family, only need a little bit of them as well as certain foods
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    You have two options
    1. Keep the food that tempts you out of the house so you don't have to rely on self-control not to eat it or
    2. Make an allowance in your daily calorie budget for that special treat, just in a small amount. Many dietitians recommend an 80/20 diet where 80% of your intake is good wholesome, high nutrition food and 20% is treats.

Only you will know what works best for you to avoid overeating that overindulgence of treats. Some find the first option leads to overeating and some the second.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I have more trouble with sweets if they’re in near distance of me.

is it near you because others in your household bring them in? If it is family in the household, can you have a family meeting to discuss how to keep a limited amount for them? if it's kids i'd consider a change in routine where they pick up a special treat for themselves on weekends but not have it around all the time. throw out once they are done. a bit more $ but help set up a routine for the kids on eating portions and not splurging daily.

For signifiant other is there a place he can keep his snacks and maybe keep them to a limited? the goal not to stop them from eating it but not having tons in the house at once and keeping them out of your day to day sight.

Consider buy snack bags (portioned amount) and you can have a bit too. or sharing (obviously this depends on situation).

I don't think you need to stop ALL treats, we all have our weakness that we should try to avoid, and maybe that one thing you can have a family meeting about.

At work I just sorta try to ensure sweets are not in eyeview and not walk by. i'm pretty picky so on my treats so that helps.

Lastly - you don't need to white knuckle it. if you NEVER indulge in moderation then it may be hard to alwasy avoid it. Now, sure avoid the one food that is your ultimate weakness but not all sweets? I still have a dessert daily, it helps me not grab random stuff at work and keeps me happy. they fit in my calorie goal.
  • anj32694
    anj32694 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Also, living within reach of certain ‘kid’ snacks had been a problem for me. I’ve found that when I’m with my family, I do great. But, on days when I’m off and home alone, those are the days when I’m more likely to binge. I’m planning to text my husband what I eat today in hopes that it will help keep me accountable.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,387 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    ... Lastly - you don't need to white knuckle it. if you NEVER indulge in moderation then it may be hard to alwasy avoid it. Now, sure avoid the one food that is your ultimate weakness but not all sweets? I still have a dessert daily, it helps me not grab random stuff at work and keeps me happy. they fit in my calorie goal.

The 80 / 20 rule is what my dr said too. (Barring severe food allergies, of course) the trick is that the 80% has to be the good-for-you stuff. If it is, then the once-every-two-weeks (on average) isn't going to kill you.

Moderation in all things .... INCLUDING moderation.

Context for why it is even in the house (other family members?) will make a difference in strategies / workarounds that all involved can live with. Lots of good suggestions for both solo and group situations above.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options
    As far as things that other people like that are in the house, how about a "that's theirs" rule. Just don't touch their food. That's just respectful and kind, right? Maybe a separate bin or cupboard shelf for a while? I find if it's not right in view I can avoid it much easier.
  • Xanifur
    Xanifur Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    How to avoid eating unhealthy foods if they are in close reach?

Don't :p