Pilonidal Cyst :(

Options
Nykkismommy21
Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
As embarrassing as this topic is, are any of you suffering from this evil little condition since working out. I have read on Google these usually appear when people exercise. Not always. This is the third time in 18 years I suffer from one. I never even knew what it was until a few days ago ,when I thought I had hurt my tailbone exercing. And come to find out it's this horrid thing. I am hoping because I caught it early and went straight to the doctor (believe me you dont want this thing having any chance of growing) I was prescribed antibiotics. I am praying with all that is good that it will disappear with the antibiotics If not im in for s hell of a time. Have any of you dealt with one and treated it early? Or if not , anything you did to get relief early on. I heard ,Castor oil, vinegar,and baking soda. I was doing soo good too,and now I'm worried this thing is going to set me back from working out :(

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I am not sure if you should put Castor Oil on an infected area that requires antibiotics. I found something on WebMd. It says to keep the area clean and dry. http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/pilondial-cyst#2 Soaking in a plain warm water bath is recommended.
    (If you meant drinking the Castor Oil, not applying it, I apologize since I don't know how this would help).
    It almost looks like a boil. I got rid of one by soaking in warm bath twice a day. I applied warm moist heat towel 2 times a day also.
  • Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yes I meant the castor oil for applying on the area. It hasn't broke surface yet. It feels like a bruise for now,but I know it isn't. Do you think the antibiotics will kill the infection before it becomes an actual boil?
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The WebMd site said that antibiotics will not help this. But if your doctor prescribed them, you must already have an infection. Second page quote "Antibiotics do not heal a pilonidal cyst. But doctors have any number of procedures they can try. Here are some options:" http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/pilondial-cyst#2
    Your doctor will know best. If you must apply something, I used Prid draw out salve (ask doctor first)
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Smile-s-Homeopathic-Drawing-Salve-Prid-18-G/12167279
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes I meant the castor oil for applying on the area. It hasn't broke surface yet. It feels like a bruise for now,but I know it isn't. Do you think the antibiotics will kill the infection before it becomes an actual boil?

that's a question for your doctor.
  • LauraMcD63
    LauraMcD63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on Nov 13 2018. I read a lot about it, but was not prepared for the aftermath. I spent one night in the hospital for observation and was sent home with a drain and minimal instruction. My husband was a gem for emptying that nasty drain, which I had for two weeks. While the drain was in, sleeping was difficult, because I could only sleep on one side.
    Since the drain has been out, sleeping is better, except when I accidentally roll over on my back. I am three weeks out of surgery and saw my surgeon yesterday (the hour car ride was brutal!). He says I am an amazing healer, but to still NOT sit. I have another appointment in two weeks and will be out of work until after the holidays. Its still very painful, but I'm glad its healing.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    These are serious. My son had one that kept coming back. He is an athlete and played an entire football season with it. Two weeks after the season ended, he finally had it surgically removed. It was the size of his fist and wrapped completely around his tailbone. It didn't heal completely for a year. Follow your doctor's orders and don't use anything on it without checking with your doctor. You don't want to make it worse.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    i had mine removed when i was 16. It sucked. They removed it from my tailbone and couldnt stitch it because it was so big. The hair that caused the cyst was so big. luckily i like sleeping on my stomach so no issues there. But i couldnt sit or anything for awhile. When i went to school, i took tests on a podium.

Then years later, it was slowly coming back. Had to have the area burned off. All good now. My crack is alittle larger than most but no issues.

get it done. Get it removed if need be. Its better off for the long run.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Get it taken care of as early as possible. Had to get mine cut out, but it was still relatively minor compared to some of the stories above. Turned out not to be that big of deal. Be early and persistent; don't put off having it removed if necessary. Our bodies are amazing at healing.
  • barefootcassie
    barefootcassie Posts: 27 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I had one removed when I was 17. It was massive and they had to leave the surgical site open. It had to be packed with gauze then that was changed twice per day. It took 7 months to heal completely. I had to stand in the back of my classrooms. It has been 22 years now and it has never come back though.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Yes I had one of these about 20 years ago. I thought it was a boil but the pain was so excruciating. I had it for around a week before I realised this was no ordinary boil and went to the surgery. I was expecting he to give me antibiotics but apparently they don't work on these things.

My doctor told me nothing short of surgery would get rid of it and gave me an emergency referral and she got me into hospital that afternoon and I had surgery that evening. Had to have it packed and dressed every day for around 6 weeks before it healed. Luckily mine wasn't to big but an awful experience, never had another one thank goodness.

They are evil disgusting things and need to be treated immediately as they do not heal without intervention. They are not like boils that come to a head and can be lanced or burst. They eat into the flesh and therefore have to heal from the inside out. If left too long they can cause sepsis and that can be deadly. My friends Aunt died from sepsis caused by having one of these and being too embarrassed to go to the doctors.

ETA: I understand that diabetics can be prone to getting these. The first test done at the hospital was for diabetes but I was clear for that.