Day 1 of a million

Options
Hey guys. Fresh start for me today. I had an uncle pass away this weekend and it's got me thinking. Even though he wasn't a blood uncle, the stroke that took him has affected my direct lineage multiple times. So being overweight, with asthma and suffering from sleep apnea, puts me at even greater risk. I feel like I'm pretty much middle aged at this point of my life and I want to get as many miles in before it's my time. I just want to live. I've been so depressed the last few years and it keeps me eating and being lazy. I want to change my lifestyle and find that joy that I once knew. About 10 years ago, I lost around 80 pounds and didn't even seem to notice or try very hard. I just kept busy and didn't eat constantly. So I know I can do. My first goal is to drop about 30 pounds. That's 10 percent of my body weight and that's when you're supposed to see difference in your sleep apnea. After that, I don't care so much about numbers, as I do about feeling better. I thank you for reading this and taking your time to listen to me drone. If you are interested in becoming friends, please shoot me a request.

Replies

• 131runner262
    131runner262 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your situation is very similar to mine. I'm at a point in my life where I'm starting to be afraid that something bad healthwise is going to happen. I just want to be here as long as I can for my family.

I also struggle with sleep apnea. I never got used to the machine and never use it even though I should. I've also lost 100lbs about 6 years ago and became a long distance runner with 2 marathons under my belt. Used to be consistent and train 5 days a week. Those days are long gone.

If your made it through my post thank-you. If you ever need someone to chat with, trade diet or training tips or ideas or just shoot the breeze hit me up. I'm new to this so can't figure out how to send a request.
  • jmoya0405
    jmoya0405 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I’m back on MFP... you can add me if you like.
  • matthewroten
    matthewroten Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey fellas. Thanks for your replies. It's my first real day here counting calories and getting some exercise. Hope not to burn out!
  • 131runner262
    131runner262 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    From my previous experience when I was healthy it's about eating the right foods. When I first started eating healthy natural foods I found that it was actually more food then I could eat. Not eating wasteless calories. Try and get a meal in about an hour before your exercise to help not burnout. Also good to get some protein in after workout as your body will be looking for some nutrients.
  • matthewroten
    matthewroten Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    From my previous experience when I was healthy it's about eating the right foods. When I first started eating healthy natural foods I found that it was actually more food then I could eat. Not eating wasteless calories. Try and get a meal in about an hour before your exercise to help not burnout. Also good to get some protein in after workout as your body will be looking for some nutrients.

Awesome man. Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna start REAL slow today. Like 15 minutes on the treadmill, easy pace. I've started too many times before and went full tilt from the get go and of course I always burn out.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. I was 59 and had a family history of stroke. My grandmother, mother, father and sister! I decided that I didn't want to join that club. It took me 2 years to lose the weight but it was worth every step. Take your time and work at it to find a lifestyle you can live with for life. Losing and gaining because your diet is unsustainable isn't worth it. I did that for almost 50 years. I am much happier (and lighter) now. Congrats on deciding to get this under control now.
  • hclay25
    hclay25 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi there I’m new to MFP and working on losing 60 pounds. We can do this! You can add me as a friend. :)