Struggling to gain weight

Options
I am 6ft 1 and 155lbs. Before using this app I wondered why I was still skinny despite eating lots of food. It was however until I started using this app that I realised the foods I was eating were of a low calorie intake. Since using this app I have been set a goal of eating 3,600 calories per day. However I am finding it very hard to reach this calorie intake per day despite constantly eating food even when I am full, is there any recommendations of which foods are high in calories and will help me reach my goal easier please? Preferably not a main meal however (e.g. dinner) thank you!

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Anything high in fat. “Dirty” it up a bit....eat those high calorie foods like pizzas, ice cream, and burgers...etc if it helps you get calories in. Add oils to meals and shakes. You could easily just google search “high cal/ low volume food” and I’m sure you’ll get plenty of results. Liquid calories like shakes also make it easier
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

This thread can help. I also recommend prelogging calories so you can switch out lower calorie foods for higher ones. And don't be afraid to drink some calories.... Especially if those calories come from Fairlife chocolate milk.
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    GOMAD=Gallon of Milk a day, research it, Its doable affordable, tested and tried. Its what lifters have done for years for hard gainers, IT WORKS!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    jflongo wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If you are making any protein shakes, add a Tablespoon or two of peanut butter. I disagree about eating pizza and ice cream just to get calories in, there are plenty of better options.

Start eating a couple of ounces of your favorite nuts every day too.

Really?? Explain your reasoning please as I disagree. What makes other things “better options”...? Please tell me why ice cream or pizza is bad considering the body sees it as a fat, carb, or protein? Tbh based off your labeling of foods and “better options”, you probably lack knowledge in nutrition....no offense, just the truth most likely. Unless you can provide reasoning that isn’t biased/ opinionated/ preferential....?

If you want to make your own pizza fine. But buying pizza from many chains, you have no idea sometimes what oils they are using and other crap. Now if you know a good pizza chain, and know exactly what they are using fine. I suppose Ice Cream is fine, but again, buy a good brand.

And yes I know tons about nutrition. I don't recommend people eating crappy pizza and ice cream, unless they know exactly what's in it. Why not add nuts, avocados, peanut butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and much more, that will add calories quite quickly.

For me that would be too much fat in one go, it would completely throw off my numbers... I am not a huge fan of too much fat in a bulk. I would rather add more carbs. Or carbs, fat and protein together (hello pizza!). Also some people find fat satiating.

I'm just saying add some of that in, pick what you want. Be VERY careful getting it from a ton of carbs, make sure you know what's in them. It's very easy to take in TONS of sugar if you aren't careful with Carbs.

Not saying someone should get most of their calories in nutrient poor food, but especially in a bulk with tons of calories to play with, when you have some calories at the end of the day some extra sugar is fine, not to mention it can actually help boost workout performance on or the next day. Optimal workout performance is very beneficial for muscle gain. I even eat some candy as my pre-workout when I'm cutting and I feel it makes a huge difference for me.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    If you are making any protein shakes, add a Tablespoon or two of peanut butter. I disagree about eating pizza and ice cream just to get calories in, there are plenty of better options.

Start eating a couple of ounces of your favorite nuts every day too.

Really?? Explain your reasoning please as I disagree. What makes other things “better options”...? Please tell me why ice cream or pizza is bad considering the body sees it as a fat, carb, or protein? Tbh based off your labeling of foods and “better options”, you probably lack knowledge in nutrition....no offense, just the truth most likely. Unless you can provide reasoning that isn’t biased/ opinionated/ preferential....?

If you want to make your own pizza fine. But buying pizza from many chains, you have no idea sometimes what oils they are using and other crap. Now if you know a good pizza chain, and know exactly what they are using fine. I suppose Ice Cream is fine, but again, buy a good brand.

And yes I know tons about nutrition. I don't recommend people eating crappy pizza and ice cream, unless they know exactly what's in it. Why not add nuts, avocados, peanut butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and much more, that will add calories quite quickly.

Lol you don’t know “tons about nutrition” based off your posts. OP is asking about weight gain. “Buy a good brand” ice cream😂😂 cause that makes it so much “healthier” right? “Make your own pizza at home” ....cause my carb crust, fatty cheese, and micro dense veggies are totalllyyy healthier than the ones at a pizza restaurant...😂 omg you’re funny, I’m sorry, but I can tell you lack knowledge in human physiology and body composition based off your comments

You are going to get a big WHATEVER! Whether you are trying to gain weight, maintain weight, or cut, there are so many crappy options out there. If that is what you want to eat and recommend fine. People like you that want to go out and insult others and assume they know everything, great for you.

Ummm what....? “Big whatever” wth does that mean....