Subway...Good or Bad?

Options
I've always thought that eating Subway was a good choice but now that I've started using MFP and actually logging in my calories, fat and carbs, I am questioning it. Tonight I had a subway sandwich thinking I was eating a healthy dinner and then when I came home to log it in, I was devastated to see that it had put me over ALL of my goals for the day. I also treated myself to a small bag of Walker Crisps (wish I hadn't) but even without those, the sandwich alone would have totally screwed up my whole days totals.

So my question is what are everybody's feelings on Subway? Is it really as healthy as the hype suggests or is the media setting us up for failure?

Replies

• bahamamama2
    Options
    I feel your pain... its funny that Subways has become my treat.

But when I do eat such a sandwich I make sure I get something low in fat, high in veggies, and take the top bun off and only eating a 6 inch.

I remember when chocolate fudge sundaes and apple pies from McD's were a treat - now they are the second coming of the anti-Christ to me.

May how we change.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Personally since "cleaning" up my diet recently I think it's processed crap full of junk our bodies just don't need.

That said, I think you can eat there calorically responsibly and it can be a great option for those how are trying to limit or change their fast food consumption.

All things in moderation right?
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of taking off the top part of the bread. I think they also have flatbread there that would probably be a better choice.

I just feel so disappointed for today. I know I shouldn't dwell on it, but its the first time since starting MFP that I've gone over my calorie goal so I'm having a hard time coming to terms with it. :(
  • tnealxx1
    tnealxx1 Posts: 10
    Options
    can be really good, and can be really bad..! the cheese and dressing is a killer!
  • PenTool
    PenTool Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love Subways. They are a great healthy fast food choice. For example, I usually get the 6" Subway Club on Whole Wheat, with provolone, veg, and oil and vinegar. It comes to under 300 cals, 10 grams of fat, and 23 grams of protein.

Here are some tips:

- They will make any sandwich into a salad. This is what I normally do. Then I ask for salt & pepper, oil and vinegar. Last time I got a salad, they asked me to "say when" on the oil and vinegar. Perfect! Obviously, you don't want to ruin this healthy switch by asking for a meatball marinara salad :noway:

- Try to stay with these meat choices, which run from 50-90 cals: turkey, ham, roast beef, grilled chicken, subway club meats.

- Order lots of veg.

- Check out their breakfast menu, which is now available all day (at least in my locations). Their english muffin sandwiches are particularly healthy and low-cal.

If you go to the Subway website, you can build your own sub and the site will instantly crunch the nutrition profile for you. It's great to be able to swap out breads/meats and see the results. Just click on "Your Build" at the bottom of the Nutrition Information (right side):

http://www.subway.com/Menu/MenuCategoryItems.aspx?CC=USA&LC=ENG&MenuTypeId=1&MenuId=35
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of taking off the top part of the bread. I think they also have flatbread there that would probably be a better choice.

I just feel so disappointed for today. I know I shouldn't dwell on it, but its the first time since starting MFP that I've gone over my calorie goal so I'm having a hard time coming to terms with it. :(

Just for future reference... the wheat or italian is better than the flatbread....

It's okay to go over once in a while! If you've been REALLY good for a while sometimes your body reacts by actually losing more weight.
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Just for future reference... the wheat or italian is better than the flatbread....

It's okay to go over once in a while! If you've been REALLY good for a while sometimes your body reacts by actually losing more weight.

Thank You! I'd prefer the wheat bread anyway :)
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    it really isnt bad - but just limit the things you would at home.
    get wheat or grain bread. just sandwhich meat (ham/turkey) with cheese and salad. no sauce or low cal/marinara sauce.
    or if you want chicken teriaki dont get the cheese.
    and obviously get a 6"
    whenever i get subway its usually under 400cals
    or you can turn it into a salad
  • Ronny46
    Ronny46 Posts: 23
    Options
    Subway is good but you have to watch what you order and HOW you order. I always get a footlong on Wheat, turkey with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, black pepper, Honey Mustard and olives. Subway has so many items that will just screw your daily totals up if you don't watch them. Just be careful with Subway and you should not have any problems.
  • Ronny46
    Ronny46 Posts: 23
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I split up my foot long into 2 seperate meals and do not eat all at once. One for lunch and the other for either a dinner or late snack.
  • Imahottmess
    Options
    If you have a Jimmy John's around, they are way better than Subway. You can sub you bread for lettuce wrap. Saves you over 200 calories. They are very yummy!

Edit: Jimmy John's also has a nutrition part on their website that's interactive. That way you know ahead of time what will be the better choice.
  • c541
    c541 Posts: 1
    Options
    Personally, I think that subway is good for being a fast food restaurant, but I certainly wouldn't choose subway as my number one place to eat. I'm a picky eater so I don't have to worry too much about what I order from there, but try to limit yourself as much as possible.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    They do salad bowls, and you choose every single thing that does or doesn't go in it? The problem is not with Subway
  • zumba89
    zumba89 Posts: 82
    Options
    When I go I always get falt bread with no cheese. Is is what i get:

flatbread blackforest ham 6in- 320 or veggie delite 6in- 260
    banana pepper-0
    green peppers-0
    lettuce-5
    tomatoes-10
    baked lay's 1/2 bag- 65

All this is 400 cals or 345