thyroid

Options
I take Levothyroxine for a thyroid issue. I take it as soon as I get up in the morning. Then I cant eat anything for an hour. Anybody else have this? How do you go about diet and exercise?

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I've been on this for 18 years now. I take it first thing in the morning with 16 oz water, then I eat breakfast around 3 hours later after a run. Other than that I space my meals around workouts, but nothing unusual.

My diary is open.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I've been taking synthroid for almost 30 years.

I'm not naturally hungry first thing in the morning, so it's not much of a problem for me to take it, exercise (a very long brisk walk every morning), and then either have something to eat if I'm hungry, or just make some tea with milk when I'm done.

On days I lift, I space my meals around it because I don't want to lift on either a completely full or completely empty stomach. I lift in the afternoon.

I don't have any special diet, save for the fact that I have celiac disease and need to avoid gluten. I am by choice a vegetarian, but that has nothing to do with my thyroid.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed hypothyroid this year. I often spend the hour after I take my pill walking. I get some exercise in and it helps pass the time.
    I have not been instructed by my doctor to follow any special diet or exercise so I just watch my calorie intake and exercise moderately. It seems like for me based on my results that I now need to eat about 100-200 calories less than MFP would recommend. I don't think that is something everyone with a thyroid issue experiences so start with the recommended calories and see how it goes for a few weeks.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    levo for 6 years - take around 5am when i wake up - workout or drive to work and eat about 1.5-2hrs later...on mornings of events (marathons etc) - i take it around 2am and then go back to sleep
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I’m the same, 25 years old and diagnosed with Hashimotos hypothyroid when I was 10 years old. On days I do short runs I just wake up early, drink my pill with a large glass of water and go. I eat breakfast when I get home. On days I’m running 15 miles or more I wake up at 3 am, eat a snack, go back to bed and then wake up at the normal time and take my pill with water. You get used to it, but it has discouraged me from being much of a coffee drinker. By the time im allowed to drink coffee I’m already awake 😒. No special diet here, and I’ve never been over weight.
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I take my synthroid first thing in the morning. As a pp said, I'm usually not hungry for a while in the morning. I think you'll get used to not eating anything for an hour after taking your pill
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Same as everyone else. I take it as soon as I get up and by the time I have a walk and get to work I can eat anytime after that. Never a problem and lost weight with no issues.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    Same, Levothyroxine for around 18 years, various dosage changes along the way, now at 175mcg. Around 3 years ago, I lost weight just like anyone else does: Reduced calorie intake below my demonstrated calorie expenditure.

My diet is pretty much what it's been for decades, just smaller portions and different proportions of some foods. My exercise is pretty much what it was before weight loss, when I was obese (I was already quite active).

My levo-related routine is to weigh myself, take my levo, then go about whatever I need to do to get ready for the day. If I'm going somewhere right away, I eat about the time I leave the house, which gives me an adequate interval. Otherwise, if staying home, I muddle about with chores or stretching or something until it's time to eat. (Unlike some people, I don't do well exercising vigorously before I eat, but that has nothing to do with my thyroid, AFAIK.)
  • oedipuss
    oedipuss Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I used to take my levo whilst on nocturnal bathroom visit around just before sunrise because taking on getting up got to be a pain in regards to waiting for breakfast and a coffee (especially the coffee, it's known to have an inhibiting effect on levo absorption). However I seem to be sleeping right through at the moment so I take mine when I go to bed now. Just make sure I have left 2-3 hours after food.
  • FL_Hiker
    edited December 2018
    Options
    ellioc2 wrote: »
    I used to take levothyroxine. I think it’s a pretty standard starting drug for hypothyroidism. I still had symptoms on it (brain fog, inability to lose weight, feeling sluggish, fatigue, etc.) so I did some research and talked to my endocrinologist about starting Armour thyroid (which is porcine-derived thyroid replacement hormone and has a better balance of T3 and T4, not just the T4). I felt way better on it and have been on the same dose (90 mg) for maybe 4-5 years now? I actually don’t take it first thing in the morning (I know that’s what they say). I’m always hungry when I wake up and want to eat right away. I take it right before bed. Because of my thyroid (I have Hashimoto’s), I’m gluten free, try to avoid processed soy (soy oil, soy protein, etc.) and try to eat pretty “clean”. I’m far from perfect though. My coffee addiction is real. It’s kind of something you need to explore with trial and error - what works for one person might not work for the next person. The most important thing for me was finding an endocrinologist who believed my symptoms and treated me beyond just looking at my lab values. It took time and patience, that’s for sure.

Great advice regarding the medication, many still have symptoms on levothyroxine. I take Synthroid and Cytomel (T3 & T4) and feel much better now. I also have hashimotos and have never had a doctor tell me to be gluten free.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    I used to take levothyroxine. I think it’s a pretty standard starting drug for hypothyroidism. I still had symptoms on it (brain fog, inability to lose weight, feeling sluggish, fatigue, etc.) so I did some research and talked to my endocrinologist about starting Armour thyroid (which is porcine-derived thyroid replacement hormone and has a better balance of T3 and T4, not just the T4). I felt way better on it and have been on the same dose (90 mg) for maybe 4-5 years now? I actually don’t take it first thing in the morning (I know that’s what they say). I’m always hungry when I wake up and want to eat right away. I take it right before bed. Because of my thyroid (I have Hashimoto’s), I’m gluten free, try to avoid processed soy (soy oil, soy protein, etc.) and try to eat pretty “clean”. I’m far from perfect though. My coffee addiction is real. It’s kind of something you need to explore with trial and error - what works for one person might not work for the next person. The most important thing for me was finding an endocrinologist who believed my symptoms and treated me beyond just looking at my lab values. It took time and patience, that’s for sure.

Great advice regarding the medication, many still have symptoms on levothyroxine. I take Synthroid and Cytomel (T3 & T4) and feel much better now. I also have hashimotos and have never had a doctor tell me to be gluten free.

My doctor told me some patients with hashis see an improvement in symptoms when doing gluten and dairy free. I’m already pretty much gluten free due to a wheat germ allergy, wheat is harder to avoid than barley or rye in my experience. And no way am I giving up cheese.

As for meds in the morning I find it easy. I’ve never been a breakfast eater though.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

I was recently also put on cytomel in addition to my synthroid while still having symptoms at a pretty low normal TSH number (which is where I need to be to feel good). It made me feel much better.

My endo and I have discussed food. She told me I don't need to avoid anything. I do avoid processed soy like tofu because it gives me gastric distress, but I can and do still eat edamame. I'm gluten free because I have celiac, otherwise it would be fine.

I really love my endo.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The only thing any of my endos have told me over years is avoid soy within 4hrs of meds and no calcium supplements within 2-4hrs; if you take any other prescriptions separate them out too
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    The only thing any of my endos have told me over years is avoid soy within 4hrs of meds and no calcium supplements within 2-4hrs; if you take any other prescriptions separate them out too

Yup same.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Also hypothyroid/Hashimoto's. My thyroid endo (I see a separate one for type 1 diabetes management) has said only one thing about eating, and that's to make sure I have at least 30 minutes between taking it, and having something to eat.

I also used to be horrible about remembering to actually take it, so now the pill bottle lives next to my deodorant. I get up, shower and do all that, put deodorant on, take my Synthroid, and get dressed. I've then got about a 30-minute commute, so I eat at my desk.

I am gluten free, but it's because I'm NCGS/seronegative celiac. Both endos are aware, and have no opinions on it, beyond "If it makes your gut feel better, do it."
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Levo for almost 2 years now, I take it as soon as I get up. My challenge is waiting to drink coffee! I see where you all are saying to wait one hour before coffee or food? My pharmacist told me 20-30 minutes before drinking coffee or eating. I'll have to ask my doctor (new one) when I go see him next week.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    vggb wrote: »
    I've been taking Levo for almost 2 years now, I take it as soon as I get up. My challenge is waiting to drink coffee! I see where you all are saying to wait one hour before coffee or food? My pharmacist told me 20-30 minutes before drinking coffee or eating. I'll have to ask my doctor (new one) when I go see him next week.

My pill bottle label says to take levothyroxine on an empty stomach and wait 30 minutes to an hour to eat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    vggb wrote: »

As someone else noted, my instructions also say 30-60 minutes. I don't remember where, but I remember reading someplace that it's important to wait, and important to be generally consistent, the proposition being that your absorption/utilization depends on the time of delay in eating, so waiting a consistent amount is likely to be correlated with maintaining the consistent hormone levels that will affect your body consistently, and show up in your periodic blood tests.

Note well: "This is just something I read". It makes sense to me, but I don't have actual science to back it up.