How long did it take you to loose 20 lbs

Options
I started my new Journey 30 days ago I am already down almost 10 lbs , I was 222 lbs when I started , I’m down to 214 lbs . I notice I’m slowing down a bit on the scale , what tips can you give me to help get the weight down , I’m on a 1300 cal low sugar lifestyle change , cut caffeine out , cut deep fried foods out , and stopped eating after 7 . I also drink about 3 bottles of water 💦 a day now . I’m a pretty active person and have encorporated some new exercises into my routine . Thanking in Advance

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I lost 22 pounds in six weeks.. and then kept losing at a pound or two a week after that.. overall it took me three months to knock off most of my weight.

One thing I realized ...is after the initial loss..and you start losing slower... remember you are smaller.. so the small losses look as pronounced as the big losses in the beginning. There are also times when you stop losing.. that is your body adjusting ..,it is no big deal..just part of the process. I know you're excited and just want it done.. but you have to give your body time. Just stick with your plan.
  • itzcath
    itzcath Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    First 20 took about 2 months. The next 40 + took the remainder of the year. Just over 20 to my goal now.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    took me a little over 3 months to lose 17 lbs. to get to 20 took awhile as once I lost the 17 I started gaining the weight back, food scale took care of that . so not quite sure how long it took otherwise.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    A little over 2 months I lost 17.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Most likely you will receive a wide variety of responses to this question. Based on the users starting weight, how much they are looking to lose. Whether they have set their goal to lose 2 pounds per week or maybe 1 or less. It is really one that comparing yourself to anyone else will not be a good measure to go by.

I lost the first 20 in about 5-6 weeks. I started in May 2018, and through mid November I was losing at a steady 2 pounds per week for the most part. For the last 6 weeks of the year I have a .5 pound per week goal with the holidays and all. In all I have lost 77 pounds, but still have quite aways to go.
  • cstein71
    cstein71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 4 months to lose 24 lbs, so not as fast as I would like, but I do not feel deprived either. I have also been working out and have added weight training...hoping I'm turning some of the fat into muscle.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I was 209 when I started but not sure how much I was losing per week and wasnt using MFP at the time. I didnt have a goal in mind at the time either.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    It took me around 3 months to lose 21 lbs, losing an average of a little under 2 lbs a week.

10 lbs in 30 days is great but probably not sustainable. I lost 9 lbs my first month, then a little over 5 in month two and then 7 lbs in month three. Just keep at it, even when it slows the weight is still coming off. It will take time but you want to make a lifestyle change that is sustainable so you actually reach your goal and don’t gain it all back and one of the best ways to do that is to lose the weight more slowly.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    It will really vary. if someone is obese and had a LOT to loose (say 100lbs) they can loose those first ones much more quickly (2lb/week). someone on their last 10-15 should be looking to slow down the rate of loss/it is harder to loose. (0.5-1lb/week).
  • xXxSeriouslyxXx
    xXxSeriouslyxXx Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I lost 23lbs last month.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    at some point during weight loss we all reach a plateau. The key is not to get bummed out about it. You just have to adjust your routine.

most of that initial weight loss could be water/muscle. Make sure you are getting plenty of protein (about 1 gram per kilo of weight)and water and watch your sodium intake as too much aids in water retention.

If you are doing mostly cardio exercise, start adding more resistance training (weights). You may also want to consider a resistant starch supplement (potato powder, not flour)...there is evidence mounting that it aids weight loss and is very beneficial to overall health.

Me personally it has taken 7 weeks to lose 17lbs...I have a long way to go...60lbs more in the next year....
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Two months in I'm 10 pounds down.So I think I'm aiming for 5 pounds a month.Hopefully I'll get there in 4 months!
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    These are so motivating to read! I am on my second week and still going over my cals a bit most days, and have started working out a bit most mornings but due to weight and inactivity level do not seem to have the strength or lung capacity to burn as much as others in a session but im hoping in the next few months Ill to see the pounds come off still! Even 10lbs is more than what ive managed to lose in the last year or so!
  • inspired1981mfp
    inspired1981mfp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for their responses 💜 it def motivates me to keep going for sure , this is def the lifestyle change I want to continue . I’m feeling better then I have in 11 years , emotionally , physically and spiritually :)