Drop calories or keep going?

Options

Hi,

I've been on a diet plan for 2 weeks now.

I'm trying to lose 10kg / 22lbs of weight. Stats: Male - 92kg / 202lbs - 5ft 9.

I'm eating at 1600-1800 calories a day incorporating strength and HIIT training 3 days a week.

My question:

Eating 1600-1800 is showing little to no progress but when I drop my cals down to 1200, then I lose weight quickly, though I'm very hungry throughout the day.

Is this normal and should I resist the urge to drop calories?

Thanks.

Replies

• Chilledbro
    Chilledbro Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for your replies and thank you for taking the time to help me reach my goal!

So far in 2 and a half weeks, I've lost 0.7 lbs. Stats: Male - 92kg / 202lbs - 5ft 9 - 32% body fat (approx).

I track almost every single thing I eat on a digital food scale (I don't track though the 1 or 2 extra almonds or handful of veggies). All of my meals are weighed or comes in a meal delivery service with detailed macros.

My expectation is to lose 1-2lbs a week by eating at 1600-1800 cals/day plus one cheat meal a week and strength/HIIT training 3 days a week.

I think I'm being impatient and will give it another month.

@jemhh - I lost 0.7 lbs
    @Panini911 - MFP recommended me to eat 1500 cals/day to lose 0.8kg a week, but I think this is too little so I'm eating a bit more and training to burn the calories.
    @cwolfman13 @mmapags - Thank you for the insight, how long did it take to lose the 40lbs?
  • lpianta17
    lpianta17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No cheat meals buddy.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Chilledbro wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks for your replies and thank you for taking the time to help me reach my goal!

So far in 2 and a half weeks, I've lost 0.7 lbs. Stats: Male - 92kg / 202lbs - 5ft 9 - 32% body fat (approx).

I track almost every single thing I eat on a digital food scale (I don't track though the 1 or 2 extra almondsor handful of veggies). All of my meals are weighed or comes in a meal delivery service with detailed macros.

My expectation is to lose 1-2lbs a week by eating at 1600-1800 cals/day plus one cheat meal a week and strength/HIIT training 3 days a week.

@jemhh - I lost 0.7 lbs
    @Panini911 - MFP recommended me to eat 1500 cals/day to lose 0.8kg a week, but I think this is too little so I'm eating a bit more and training to burn the calories.
    @cwolfman13 @mmapags - Thank you for the insight, how long did it take to lose the 40lbs?

So you are infact actually eating more than 1600-1800 calories a day?

You aren’t logging everything. That can lead to problems.

How big is that “cheat meal”? Does it fit within your calories for the day?

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I track almost every single thing I eat on a digital food scale (I don't track though the 1 or 2 extra almonds or handful of veggies). All of my meals are weighed or comes in a meal delivery service with detailed macros.

@jemhh - I lost 0.7 lbs

@Chilledbro it took me 7-8 months to lose 40 Lbs. Went from 220 to 180. I started out eating around 1900/2000 calories to lose about 1 Lb per week on average. That bumped up to 2300-2500 once I started really exercising most days (at the time running 5x per week and lifting 3x per week).

It's a slow process and I used that time to learn more about nutrition and what I would need to do to maintain my weight (going on 5.5 years of maintenance). I was pretty strict when I was losing and didn't really have cheat days and whatnot...the only days I really went over my calorie target was Thanksgiving and Christmas that year and oldest kid's and wife's birthdays.

Lol, well it took me about 6 months to get from 217 to about 205. Then I lost focus and bounced between 195 and 207 for about 3 years. 1.5 years ago I got refocused and dropped from 204 to 190 with tracking and reforming habits. Dropped from 190 to 177 without tracking but using weighins 3x per week to keep on track. I'd go back to tracking if I see a gain.

Also, one of the things that really helped me was to increase my NEAT. I walk lots of places I used to drive. I moved from the country into the city and that facilitated this. It's easier to walk lots of places. This is in addition to weight training which I was doing all the while.
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am 188 and I try to eat 1870. I run 5 days a week and weight lift 2. I am losing 1 lb per week. I have also adjusted my calories down as I lost weight. Keep at it and it will kick in, Instead of the scale have you seen any differences how your pants fit? I noticed using a different notch in my belt before I saw any significant weight loss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Hi all,

@jemhh - I lost 0.7 lbs

I'd weigh the meal delivery service meals too, just to make sure you are getting accurate portions.

Most importantly - log your cheat meal so you can have data for those calories. Do come back and update us on this.

If the exercise is new, you may be retaining water from that which is is masking fat loss. Either way, patience :)