Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

People are eating too few calories

124»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I eat 1550-1800 a day on average.... but im not miserable. I actually function at endurance sports better than most people. I think it comes down to what you're eating and volume not so much calories but im no expert everyones different.

Given that most people don't do well at endurance sports at all, I'm not sure this is much of a recommendation. The real test would be, how do you do in endurance sports against people with training that is similar to yours but are eating enough to nourish themselves properly (assuming that 1,550-1,800 is lower than you need).

Or, how do you do when dieting vs. not dieting.

I ran a PB 5K a few weeks back. Not fast but fast for me. Time was 27:33. That was a full 45 seconds faster than 2 weeks prior when I put in (what I think) was similar effort. Difference was it was the end of a 2 week diet break so I had been eating at maintenance and not at a deficit. Now that I'm back to trying to lose, I'm putting in ~28:30 - 29:00.

This is a good test too. I also have noticed that I run slower when I'm in a deficit, even when it feels like similar effort.