Question about water

Options
So my friend who is getting ready for the marines told me he recruiter said ICE water is the best. The colder the water the better. Does it really help? And if so how?

Please add me if you wish.

Replies

• hockeymom95
    hockeymom95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have heard the room temperature water is the best as ice water can mess with your digestion.
  • sarahzylma
    Options
    I was just wondering cause I like to eat on ice cubes also. But if it messes with my calorie burn I'm not going to do it
  • NewLife_11
    NewLife_11 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have read that ice water is better because you burn a few calories while your body is bringing the the water to your internal temp. I have read conflicting articles though.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Ice water is good because it takes more calories to digest due to your body needing to warm it up before it's digested.
  • awiggins1090
    Options
    Ice cold water lowers your bodies tempature level and your body burns more calories to get you back to s normal level.
  • sarahzylma
    Options
    Thanks a mill for everyone who answered me
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It depends what you want. It has to be heated by the body so:

It burns calories :)
    But if hydration is what you need, it's less efficient :(

However, if you're having ice water to stop you being too hot and sweating , it's not going to burn any calories, it might even be saving you some. However, all of these 'calorie burns' are fairly neglegable, so don't worry about it at all and just do what you're doing
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    on a side note: if you crave eating ice, I've heard that can be a sign of being anemic. Not sure how much truth there is to it, though. :wink:
  • sweettoothfairy
    sweettoothfairy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If You drink water on the rocks, it actually burns more calories. your body burn more calories by trying to bring the ice cold water to normal temperature. This is what google and all trainers say but i am no expert.
  • jcannon15
    jcannon15 Posts: 148
    Options
    be careful with ice water and intense exercise, in EMT school we learned gulping ice water while ur body is in the middle of intense exercise or long periods of heat can give you stomach cramps, feeling of faintness, and in extreme cases cardiac arrest. Of course me being me didnt believe it was that serious and gave it a try after yard work on a hot summer day, i downed a bottle of ice water and almost passed out, so yea its true.
  • sarahzylma
    Options
    What I do is drink ice water during the day/night. But if I'm working out I stick with almost room tempt. And I never chug it. Learned that from the military. I don't really crave ice. I just like it. Like me and my dog (cash) will sit back and eat a glass of ice together. I've figured it's better then drinking a slushy that's ALL sugar.
  • squishysangel
    squishysangel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    depends on why you're drinking it. Warm water is better for your kidneys but ice water makes your body work to produce heat to warm itself back to its mean temp.
  • trailrider1963
    Options
    I think the ice and anemia thing is true. I used to crave and eat tons of ice and turned out to be severely anemic. The cravings went away after I started taking iron.