thyroid

Options
2»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    vggb wrote: »
    I've been taking Levo for almost 2 years now, I take it as soon as I get up. My challenge is waiting to drink coffee! I see where you all are saying to wait one hour before coffee or food? My pharmacist told me 20-30 minutes before drinking coffee or eating. I'll have to ask my doctor (new one) when I go see him next week.

I doubt if coffee would have an impact on absorption/uptake as the molecules involved are not comparative. I've done this a few times with no adverse effects. This is more of an issue with solid foods.
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the positive and informative responses, a consensus is always a good thing.
  • DelSydney
    DelSydney Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been on Oroxine (levothyroxine)50mc for over 20 years now and my pharmacist told me to have it going to bed. We eat around 7pm at night and apart from water I dont have anything till breakfast the next morning and it has worked for me.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I've been taking Levothyroxine since I was 15 and diagnosed with Hashimoto's (I'm 30 now). I take it at night right before bed. Always have and always will. My levels have always been great! I didn't do this to be a rebel- but I just don't remember it ever being mentioned to me in the first place to specifically take it in the morning ( I was also a teenager so I may have chosen to ignore). I think the main thing is that it's taken on an empty stomach or at least an hour or two before/after eating (could be wrong on this though).

I remember one time asking my dr about it after seeing "take in morning on empty stomach" on the RX bottle- she said "when do you take it now? I said at night before bed" She said it seems to be working totally fine so just keep doing that. :smile:
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I have always been told to take my meds an hour before food, COFFEE, and other meds, so as not to affect absorption. I do this despite the fact that I take desiccated thyroid and all the absorbtion studies I have seen have been done with synthetic. But not taking any risks as they have me undertreated anyway. I need every drop my body will absorb.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have always been told to take my meds an hour before food, COFFEE, and other meds, so as not to affect absorption. I do this despite the fact that I take desiccated thyroid and all the absorbtion studies I have seen have been done with synthetic. But not taking any risks as they have me undertreated anyway. I need every drop my body will absorb.

How do you know you are undertreated? Do you have hypo signs? What does your bloodwork indicate? Have you talked to your doc about changing your dose?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I have been on thyroxine for bit over 2 years now since having half my thyroid removed due to a tumour.

By that stage i was already couple of years into weight maitenance - I continued on with my exact same diet and excercise as before.

I take my med as soon as i get up, then have a shower, some computer and wake up time then have coffee and breakfast.
  • youngmomtaz
    Options

How do you know you are undertreated? Do you have hypo signs? What does your bloodwork indicate? Have you talked to your doc about changing your dose?

I do still have hypo symptoms, fewer than before at least, my free t3 is rarely even in the range(below) and free t4 is very low in range. My primary treats based on tsh alone but won’t refer me to an endo or listen at all because my case seems uncomplicated and we have had results. She is the first person in 15 years to actually listen to me and do anything about this an d some other issues including 13 days/month of migraines that we have down to 1 or two now. I do have high hopes that one day she will learn or read something more that prompts her to try and treat more than just tsh.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'd be demanding to get a referral to an endo
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    @youngmomtaz Just wanted to comment on the headaches. I suffered for years and no one could do anything about it until they put me on synthroid. I had thought that I'd suffered a mini stroke so they tested me and it was one of the worst my doc had seen in years he said. Who knew it would also cure my headaches and chronic constipation, lol. I wonder how many folks are suffering from chronic headaches that are caused by low thyroid?
  • youngmomtaz
    Options
    @youngmomtaz Just wanted to comment on the headaches. I suffered for years and no one could do anything about it until they put me on synthroid. I had thought that I'd suffered a mini stroke so they tested me and it was one of the worst my doc had seen in years he said. Who knew it would also cure my headaches and chronic constipation, lol. I wonder how many folks are suffering from chronic headaches that are caused by low thyroid?

Interesting that others have noted the correlation as well. I tried to tell my doc after some googling, that they were comorbid conditions but they did not believe me. My migraines went from 13 down to 6, I suspect they would go further with a higher dose but topirimate at a low dose is tidying up the rest very well.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

I do still have hypo symptoms, fewer than before at least, my free t3 is rarely even in the range(below) and free t4 is very low in range. My primary treats based on tsh alone but won’t refer me to an endo or listen at all because my case seems uncomplicated and we have had results. She is the first person in 15 years to actually listen to me and do anything about this an d some other issues including 13 days/month of migraines that we have down to 1 or two now. I do have high hopes that one day she will learn or read something more that prompts her to try and treat more than just tsh.

Can you self-refer with your insurance?

I had similar issues -- known hypothyroid, previous endo and current PCP wanted to treat based on TSH alone. My PCP tested T4 and T3 because I demanded it, but despite low T3 and hypo-consistent symptoms, refused to increase my meds. She said that *something* was going on that was thyroid-related, but she didn't know how to manage it -- and my previous endo said I was clearly fine, because my TSH was not consistent with hypo. PCP encouraged me to get a second opinion since I wasn't happy and didn't feel well. But unfortunately, in the meantime, she'd already reduced my thyroxine based on the endo's input.

So I fired the previous endo, self-referred to Cleveland Clinic, and finally saw someone who treated based on *all* results, but primarily looking at T3. He re-ran labs, and my T3 had dropped to .1 above the bottom of the range. Cleveland endo upped my meds to where I was when I had last felt well.

That was at the end of April/early May, and I feel so much better. My PCP conceded that she messed up, and she apologized, I found a new diabetes endo, who is fully is aware of why I'm going to Cleveland, and things are so much better...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

I went to the doctor because I was getting more frequent and more intense migraines as well as a very irregular period. Found out I was hypothyroid and after starting treatment my periods and migraines are pretty much back to normal.
  • youngmomtaz
    Options

Can you self-refer with your insurance?

I had similar issues -- known hypothyroid, previous endo and current PCP wanted to treat based on TSH alone. My PCP tested T4 and T3 because I demanded it, but despite low T3 and hypo-consistent symptoms, refused to increase my meds. She said that *something* was going on that was thyroid-related, but she didn't know how to manage it -- and my previous endo said I was clearly fine, because my TSH was not consistent with hypo. PCP encouraged me to get a second opinion since I wasn't happy and didn't feel well. But unfortunately, in the meantime, she'd already reduced my thyroxine based on the endo's input.

So I fired the previous endo, self-referred to Cleveland Clinic, and finally saw someone who treated based on *all* results, but primarily looking at T3. He re-ran labs, and my T3 had dropped to .1 above the bottom of the range. Cleveland endo upped my meds to where I was when I had last felt well.

That was at the end of April/early May, and I feel so much better. My PCP conceded that she messed up, and she apologized, I found a new diabetes endo, who is fully is aware of why I'm going to Cleveland, and things are so much better...

I am in Manitoba. No self referring. Basically, I am lucky to have a family doc and be treated. We have decent health care but endos are few and far between, and we have extremely high turnover rates of family docs, lots of docs on stress and family leave, and just a general shortage. I am so glad things are going your way! At this point in my treatment I just try to insert info I have learned without ticking anyone off.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I’ve been on Synthroid about 10 years now— honestly, mostly I take it with my cappuccino, sometimes it’s an empty stomach - and other times I’ve taken it with food. My bloodwork always comes back the same!

I do always try to take on an empty stomach but I’m always running in the morning ..and sometimes that omelette is really looking good.

My experiential 2 cents.

*insert stock medical disclaimer here