What to order at this restaurant?

Options
No way getting out of this office lunch party being held at a Dumpling and Noodle restaurant . Any ideas how to order anything heathy to eat here ? I posted the menu

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What do you consider to be healthy?

I would probably just order something I would enjoy and eat a reasonable portion of it. If you're looking for lower calorie items, steamed items are typically going to be lower calorie than fried. Noodles can add up pretty quickly in calories, so be mindful of your portion size if you order those.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    While they're not "unhealthy", If you're shooting for lowest calorie options I would stay away from the noodles and rice options or anything that sounds like it would have a sauce. I would probably get an order of veggie spring rolls and the stir fried/wok veggies. The steamed pork & vegetable dumplings might be another good choice. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything that I would consider inherently unhealthy on the menu...

I would probably go with one of the noodle soups simply because that's what sounds good to me right now.
  • pishpish
    pishpish Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone- was looking for something in the 500-600 calorie range - an item to order for lunch- the restaurant doesn’t supply any nutritional values at all.
  • stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Oh the joys of the office at christmas time. I've got two lunches two days in a row and for one of them we're going to an all you can eat South American bbq restaurant. I'm probably not going to be able to control myself and I will definitely eat until I get the meat sweats.

I guess it depends on how big your appetite is, but you could probably go for the steamed dumplings? (cause dumplings are bomb). I dunno, I'd say just eat whatever you fancy as long as you don't order like 3 different dishes and go overboard as most people tend to during the festive season. It's one meal of the day, so don't stress about it too much! :)
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    If it were me, I'd order the juicy pork dumplings. I'm guessing that it's xiao long bao which is a soup dumpling which should be about 35-40 calories per dumpling, depending on size and actual ingredients. The steamed dumplings should be about the same. I'd also order the mixed vegetables or choy sum but that can vary wildly in calories. The scallion pancakes would be good too, but I'd only eat about 6" diameter serving size. The noodle soup selection is good too but it depends on how big the serving size is. Those soups aren't traditionally greasy.

To sum up, for about 600 calories, I'd order
    1 noodle soup, or
    1 order of juicy pork dumplings with the veggies, easy on the sauce and the scallion pancakes.

[I think I'm gonna hit up the local dim sum house this weekend]
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Order whatever looks good to you. It's the holidays and it's a chance to have a lovely meal with some awesome company (your co-workers lol). You could always eat some and save the rest for another meal, if excess calories are the issue.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I'd find someone to share with and then get the pork dumplings and wok veggies. Split the dumplings and the veggies and have room for a beer or 2.