HRM advice

Options
I am looking into purchasing a Heart Rate Monitor to more accurately log my exercise calories. I was wondering what ones are good from personal experience, can you also tell me what you paid for it? Thank you!

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Just bought the Polar FT4 from Amazon last week for $63. I'm really enjoying it so far.
  • sarahlong09
    Options
    I am wondering the same!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Don't get a Timex, mine lasted only 4 months then died. Curious to see what others recommend.
  • TheTeeWhy
    TheTeeWhy Posts: 186
    Options
    I bought a sportline one with a chest strap from walmart, and it works pretty good. Kind of confusing though to set up initially. Works great now that i got the jyst of it tho. The other HRMS may be better quality but honestly. They are so f'n pricy that they arent even an option for me.

Mine was like 70 bucks
  • healthyrmn
    Options
    i have the sportline duo 1025 hrm, and it works really well
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 and FT7 are the most popular.
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just about any from the well know manufactures, garmin and polar come to mind. I have owned several high end ones from garmin and love them. The cost difference between bottom and top end are mostly bells and whistles with minor functionality difference. I currently own and use the garmin 405 (gps functionality for me makes it work it) paid around 300. But both garmin and polar offer full functional hrm's for around 60.
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Just bought the Polar FT4 from Amazon last week for $63. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Me too! Mine arrived earlier this week. So far, I'm loving it.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 and FT7 are the most popular.

I have had my FT7 for a couple years now, its great.
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have a Sportline from Walmart w/ no chest strap that I paid about 30.00 for. I have had it for several months now and have been very satisfied.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Just to throw this out there, you can't accurately measure calories.. you can only get an accurate estimation, and some(like Polar) will be more accurate than Timex, Sportline etc. You also need one that has a chest strap.. without you will not get an accurate calorie estimation. All of your info needs to be able to be entered into the watch also.

Like other posters have said, Polar and Garmin are two of the top. Polar FT4 and Ft7 are wonderful... I have the FT7 and recommend it too anyone. Easy to use/set up, and gives an accurate estimation of calories burned.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I've had a Timex (with a chest strap) for 3 months and have had no problems with it. It was about $50 from Amazon.
  • Erin_1981
    Erin_1981 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Garmin is great - just be aware they do not use your heart rate to calculate calories burned, so they are about as accurate as the treadmill which tend to be VERY high estimates (IE they would both tell you you are burning calories if you were standing beside the treadmill as it was on, or driving in a car with the Garmin on). You need to use to heart rate to know how much real work you are doing.
  • nikkiws
    nikkiws Posts: 164
    Options
    I bought a polar ft4 and have been pleased with it. I was really shocked at how high the estimations were on mfp and the machines at the gym, the hrm seems a lot lower but I guess I now work harder to burn the calories I thought I was before! (hope that makes sense!)