BMR and Weight Loss Help!

Hello! I calculated my BMR with the myfitnesspal calculator, and it is only 1247. Now I understand activity has to be taken into account, so I multiplied by my BMR by 1.55 for moderately active (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/), resulting in a maintenance goal of 1933 calories a day.

I eat, on average, more than 1933 per day. (I have a tendency for binging and overeating) I've used this since January, but my weight peaked in April. And from April until now, I have managed to lose around 7 pounds, eating an estimated 2500 per day.

Why have I managed to lose weight despite eating MORE than my maintenance calories?

Replies

• sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    If you are eating the maintenance calories that you posted then you aren't going to lose weight just maintain. I race walked 7 miles today and was given another 1,500 calories...eh? I'm not here to get more calories!
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    If you are eating the maintenance calories that you posted then you aren't going to lose weight just maintain. I race walked 7 miles today and was given another 1,500 calories...eh? I'm not here to get more calories!

I stated in my post that...
    "I eat, on average, more than 1933 per day. (I have a tendency for binging and overeating) I've used this since January, but my weight peaked in April. And from April until now, I have manage to lose around 7 pounds, eating an estimated 2500 per day."

I know that eating maintenance calories maintain. My question is, why am I losing weight despite eating MORE than my maintenance calories/ Sorry if my post was unclear.
  • exercise perhaps?
  • That's less than half a pound a week lost since April, which is 1750 calories per week or 250 calories a day. Would be trivial for a website calculator to be off by that small a number, for you to be overestimating your caloric intake by that much, burning that extra bit off from activity, etc.

None of which is to take away from having lost the weight for whatever reason ;)
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    A combination of:
    1) The calculator is not accurate for you and BMR since it varies for individuals (and even what they eat throughout the day), maybe for you it should be about 2500?
    2) you are more active throughout the day than you think. you burn more, your body has a high metabolic rate...
    3) you don't record you intake properly....

and routergay has a point 1/2 pound is about 10% error, so you could perhaps change you daily intake to 2,500 so that becomes you maintaince number .....
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Are you exercising? Eating those calories?

Your BMR and activity calculations are not exact and apparently not correct.

I average 2000 calories a day, which should be maintenance for me, however I loose about a pound every 2 weeks.