Gaining muscle without putting on fat

Options
Hi,
I've recently reached my weight loss goal and would now like to shift my focus to putting on muscle/gaining strength. I have been eating 1500 cals/day. Should I continue with this or increase my calories? Any suggestions to do this and maintain a "lean" look?... really don't want to gain fat.

Replies

• kelsium33
    kelsium33 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    1500 cals is what I've been eating to lose weight, but now I'm focused on muscle gain. I'm currently 120lbs, 5'5".
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Ok so do you want to gain weight.. or maintain (recomp). What are your specific goals, are they more aesthetic, only strength, etc?
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This can be challenging but certainly possible. My best suggestion is to look for a muscle building program that you can stick with. Also diet is key. Many people look to simply bulk up but gain more fat then they want and then have to diet again to lose the fat they gained creating a never ending cycle. For me I will reverse diet by adding about 100-200 cal per week until I slowly begin to gain weight all while transitioning to more of a muscle building program and continuing with at least 20-30 min of cardio per day. Cardio for me consists of both HIIT and LISS. To do it right takes patience and the dedication to track your nutrition to determine the right macros to achieve your goal. If you don’t track everything your eat it will be very difficult to slowly increase your cal each week. Good luck.
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. I am on my 3rd bulk/cut cycle and each time my baseline starting BF is less going into the bulk and coming out, however each year it also becomes more challenging to put on muscle. That’s great that you have been able to gain 12lbs of lean muscle :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. I am on my 3rd bulk/cut cycle and each time my baseline starting BF is less going into the bulk and coming out, however each year it also becomes more challenging to put on muscle. That’s great that you have been able to gain 12lbs of lean muscle :)

Yea I hear ya! That first bulk was golden I don't think I'll ever make as much progress again. But each time I become more in tune with my goals and what works, so that helps ;)
  • CrystalApril
    CrystalApril Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and unsure how much to increase by or just go to maintenance and recomp
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and unsure how much to increase by or just go to maintenance and recomp

https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-math.html/