Six pack

I've always had a nice upper body, bigger arms nice chest and back, alright ill stop being a tool now haha jk, anyways back to the subject, i could not for the life of me get a six pack. I know 80% of abs are made in the kitchen so is there any advice or easy diets to follow while trying to reach this goal? I also dont want to drop muscle weight while in the process. Any suggestions accepted. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Calorie deficit; keep lifting and don't drop weight too aggressively to keep from losing muscle. No magic foods, just get down to whatever BF% it takes with your body. It varies from one person to the next.
  • nickreams93
    nickreams93 Posts: 13 Member
    @CarvedTones thanks!
  • nickreams93
    @AnvilHead thanks!
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    99% of abs are made in the kitchen; as others have said, you need to be low enough body fat percentage for them to be visible.. and it's a major PITA to keep them visible.
  • CarvedTones
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    False. Or at least misleading.

100% of abs are made in the gym.
    100% of abs are revealed in the kitchen.

If you are going to pick nits, so am I. I know a fair number of people with abs who got them outside the gym. I am keenly aware of this since I started paddling SUP. So your statement about where they are made is false, or at least misleading...
  • CarvedTones

If you are going to pick nits, so am I. I know a fair number of people with abs who got them outside the gym. I am keenly aware of this since I started paddling SUP. So your statement about where they are made is false, or at least misleading...

Wrong. Abs are made at some point during the development of the embryo.

See? I can be an *kitten*, too.

I didn't say where they are made. I just said that it isn't correct that 100% of them are made in the gym, which you just agreed with. And I am just nit picking because it's fun; I do get what you are saying. My abs are starting to get visible and it is a combination of exercise to get some definition and a calories deficit causing the fat to be reduced and reveal the abs.
  • Eternally_Hers
    Eternally_Hers Posts: 26 Member
    Drop your bodyfat percentage down to about 10% and do some ab exercises. The diet which is easiest depends on you. I'd say find good foods you like and make a diet around it. Like for me I have a major sweet tooth so doing Paleo with tons of fruit is easy to do because I constantly enjoy all of the fruit I eat. But if you want a 6 pack all year round, you can't be on a diet because diets are associated with short term weight loss. Consider your foods a lifestyle change so you can get and keep the 6 pack.

There is a pro athlete trainer and physical therapist by the name of Athlean X who has a YouTube channel who has great content for exercises in and out of the gym. Try giving this workout a try. https://youtu.be/8jyhJ6TiUPA
  • nickreams93
    Thanks alot @Eternally_Hers
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member

Wrong. Abs are made at some point during the development of the embryo.

See? I can be an *kitten*, too.

Well... really though, I know plenty of people who are naturally low body fat with very visible abdominals, and they do diddly squat inside or outside of a gym. So, they're there regardless.

You know what I meant anyhow... we all know what each other means. No sense in all of us getting so particular over it.
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    I'm cutting with similar goals. My approach is to continue to cut calories, do cardio and measure muscles and waist regularly. I'm dipping below 37" waist now and plan to cut down to around 34". Then, increase calories and lift to gain muscle. After a while, go back to cutting, then back to lifting, etc... If I notice or feel like I may be loosing muscle, then I'll stop cutting and go back to lifting.

It's my first time being this consistent and getting results, so I'll see how it goes. But, that is my approach.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I've always had a nice upper body, bigger arms nice chest and back, alright ill stop being a tool now haha jk, anyways back to the subject, i could not for the life of me get a six pack. I know 80% of abs are made in the kitchen so is there any advice or easy diets to follow while trying to reach this goal? I also dont want to drop muscle weight while in the process. Any suggestions accepted. Thanks in advance!

It's hard because you have to be at a pretty low BF%...I haven't been able to maintain that low of a BF% since I was in my 20s. Seems like my body really starts fighting it at around 12% which is about as low as I've been able to go. I maintain typically around 15% as it is comfortably managed in regards to how I want to live and the things I do or don't want to do. I simply don't have the dietary discipline to maintain a super low BF%.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

It's hard because you have to be at a pretty low BF%...I haven't been able to maintain that low of a BF% since I was in my 20s. Seems like my body really starts fighting it at around 12% which is about as low as I've been able to go. I maintain typically around 15% as it is comfortably managed in regards to how I want to live and the things I do or don't want to do. I simply don't have the dietary discipline to maintain a super low BF%.
    Same here - coupled with the fact that when I get much leaner than that, I start getting loose skin on my abdomen, so a nice, tight six-pack isn't in the cards for me at 57 years old. 15%'ish is lean enough for me and pretty easy to maintain without having to go to extreme measures. I'm not above vanity, but I do have my limits, lol.

jtechmart wrote: »
    I'm cutting with similar goals. My approach is to continue to cut calories, do cardio and measure muscles and waist regularly. I'm dipping below 37" waist now and plan to cut down to around 34". Then, increase calories and lift to gain muscle. After a while, go back to cutting, then back to lifting, etc... If I notice or feel like I may be loosing muscle, then I'll stop cutting and go back to lifting.

It's my first time being this consistent and getting results, so I'll see how it goes. But, that is my approach.
    "Lifting" and "cutting" shouldn't be two mutually exclusive processes - if you lift while you're cutting, you're likely to preserve more of the muscle you already have. It's a lot easier to maintain existing muscle than it is to gain muscle.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member

Uhhh wtf nonsense did I just read....
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Same here - coupled with the fact that when I get much leaner than that, I start getting loose skin on my abdomen, so a nice, tight six-pack isn't in the cards for me at 57 years old. 15%'ish is lean enough for me and pretty easy to maintain without having to go to extreme measures. I'm not above vanity, but I do have my limits, lol.

"Lifting" and "cutting" shouldn't be two mutually exclusive processes - if you lift while you're cutting, you're likely to preserve more of the muscle you already have. It's a lot easier to maintain existing muscle than it is to gain muscle.

I was about to make the same comment about lifting and cutting not being mutually exclusive. As a 55 year old, no matter what my intention is, lifting is now always in the mix - provided I have access. If I can't lift, I'll usually do something that keeps me engaged.

Regarding abs, I'm with you....enough vanity to maybe desire them, but two things are stopping me from going from 18-20% lean down to 12-15: food discipline and, uh, well, I guess, food discipline. :smile: