How Do I Avoid Blisters?

Options
I know I need new running shoes, but for right now, while I'm running inside on a treadmill, I am going to tough it out. I can't really afford new shoes, and I'm waiting to see what my family does for my birthday since I told them anything running. But regardless, after my birthday (3/13) I am going to go to a running store and get a good pair of running shoes.

That being said, I need to keep running, and I need the shoes I have to work. But on my right foot, I keep getting a blister, right at the widest part of my foot. I run anyway. I pop the blister and go back the next day.

Does anyone know what's causing this or how to prevent it from happening? Is it just because my shoe is old?

Replies

• 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I know I need new running shoes, but for right now, while I'm running inside on a treadmill, I am going to tough it out. I can't really afford new shoes, and I'm waiting to see what my family does for my birthday since I told them anything running. But regardless, after my birthday (3/13) I am going to go to a running store and get a good pair of running shoes.

That being said, I need to keep running, and I need the shoes I have to work. But on my right foot, I keep getting a blister, right at the widest part of my foot. I run anyway. I pop the blister and go back the next day.

Does anyone know what's causing this or how to prevent it from happening? Is it just because my shoe is old?
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I really don't see another answer if you can't afford better shoes... Unless you want to see if running barefoot will help!
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    Hmmm, that's not a bad idea actually.

I will be getting better shoes after March 13. If I want to be able to run outside when the weather gets better, I don't have a choice.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    go to a drug store or sport store and get some of the tape used for dressing bandages ...(the bigger bandages are too expensive and the tape works...tape the area where you are getting the blisters make sure the shoe is snug so if needed , use an extra sock
    hth
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    Options
    I really don't see another answer if you can't afford better shoes... Unless you want to see if running barefoot will help!

:noway: You might not want to run barefooted. Then you will have major blisters on the bottom of your feet, I would think.

Pam
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Try some new socks with Coolmax or some other high performance fabric that "wicks" away moisture. If you are wearing cotton socks, that might be the cause of your blisters.
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    Ah, okay. I have a couple pairs of those kind of socks. thanks for the tip!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options

:noway: You might not want to run barefooted. Then you will have major blisters on the bottom of your feet, I would think.

Pam

I also agree that running barefoot is not the best option.
    Mainly cause you may but additional strain on your arch and feet joints which would cause more pain and discomfort.

I'd go with the tape and the extra socks.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Also, you can lotion up the areas that tend to blister. (You can buy this stick of stuff near the band-aids. . .I forget what it's called) but any sort of heavy lotion will help. It cuts down on the friction, so less blisters. :flowerforyou:
  • gsschulte
    gsschulte Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    you get blisters from your shoe moving while you run or your foot shifting in the shoe. i tend to get the same thing exept on my big toe. i tried lacing better but then my foot tingles from the tightness so i bought some starter socks at walmart. 4.00 for 3 pairs and they are very good socks. what they do is get the sweat off your foot so you don't slip around in the shoe.
    if you are wearing good socks and your feet still move then you might try a couple different things. like tape like i saw above but that will just protect the area that is moving. you could lace up tighter if you can. or wear an extra pair of wicking socks. may feel a little goofy but it may help out if you are really trying to keep your mialge up until march. and by the way if you have not bought new running shoes in a while they are NOT all made the same. i have to use stability because i roll inward just a little and my shoes correct for that. my BIL rolls outward with flat feet so his shoe is much different than mine he needs very little stability and more support. i run in a mizuno wave inspire 5 excellent shoe but i will be moving to a sucony shoe in the next one they are just a bit more comfortable but yeah running shoes are the most comfortable shoes i have ever bought and i will spend the money to have good "tires".
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    I'll have to check out Walmart.

Thanks guys for your suggestions!

Today, I actually forgot socks, so I had to wear my work trouser socks. I laced my shoes as tightly as I could...but I still have a blister I think.

I can't wait to buy new shoes!