Weight loss after csection?

Options
My daughter is 13 weeks old, and was delivered by csection, just wondering if anyone else is struggling when it comes to weight loss around your stomach after a section?

Replies

• ETsambouris
    Options
    OH YEAH! I had 2 c-sections in 17 months. It is hard! I can't feel the skin on my stomach still even.
    Don't get discouraged though. I am starting to lose and have found that DVDs that focus on abs and yoga have helped a lot!!!
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have had two c sections. My first one started to get better, the belly started to even out as far as pooch-iness goes. But it took a while. 60lbs after delivery and two years to be exact. Then I got pregnant again.....hahaha.. soo now I am starting over, except I started 40lbs less this time. But my goal is to lose another 40lbs. Hopefully. The muscles get all stretched from beign pregnant.. but the only thing I can say is it takes time! Keep at it!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I had a C section 16 months ago, and have lost 84 pounds since March of this year, so I have strectched skin everyhwere...LOL...Im hoping it will go back to "normal" someday, but it will take time!
  • natersmama
    natersmama Posts: 157
    Options
    well first i have to say CONGRATULATIONS on your baby. and about the tummy, yes. i had a csection almost a yr ago and my tummy is definitely where its hanging on. i am down to my pre prego weight. even a little smaller. wearing smaller pants than i have in 10 years. but tummy wise, while its not big, it took a LONG time for any kind of ab work not make me wanna cry. listen to your tummy! if it hurts, my dr said wait another week and try again. maybe its just my healing and my body, but csections are major surgery and take a while to recover fully.
  • StacyFrisbie
    StacyFrisbie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had 2 c-sections and eventually an abdominal hysterectomy within 3.5 years. Even when I got to my pre-pregnancy weight, my stomach is completely different than it ever used to be. Give yourself time though, 13 weeks is nothing. It took you 9 months to get your body that way, don't expect it to snap back like a rubberband unless you're an anorexic celebrity who has the benefit of a full time cook, personal trainer, and airbrushing :-)

In my case, my muscles have separated quite a bit, and I will never have the abdominal muscle support I used to, and a plastic surgeon friend of mine said it's not likely to change a whole lot in that area - at least not nearly as much as the rest of my body will respond to diet and exercise. He suggested a "mommy makeover tummy tuck". They stitch your muscles back together, and take off the extra skin. Maybe it's just my case, or maybe he just wants me to give him some of my money (LOL), nevertheless, it was disheartening at best...
  • StacyFrisbie
    StacyFrisbie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had 2 c-sections and eventually an abdominal hysterectomy within 3.5 years. Even when I got to my pre-pregnancy weight, my stomach is completely different than it ever used to be. Give yourself time though, 13 weeks is nothing. It took you 9 months to get your body that way, don't expect it to snap back like a rubberband unless you're an anorexic celebrity who has the benefit of a full time cook, personal trainer, and airbrushing :-)

In my case, my muscles have separated quite a bit, and I will never have the abdominal muscle support I used to, and a plastic surgeon friend of mine said it's not likely to change a whole lot in that area - at least not nearly as much as the rest of my body will respond to diet and exercise. He suggested a "mommy makeover tummy tuck". They stitch your muscles back together, and take off the extra skin. Maybe it's just my case, or maybe he just wants me to give him some of my money (LOL), nevertheless, it was disheartening at best...
  • mtkautz
    mtkautz Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 3 and I still have a pooch.... and stretch marks everywhere... I've lost 70lbs since delivery with about 30 more to go. It's hard to tone those muscles back up and it takes time and dedication! It will happen, maybe not as fast as you'd like.. but it will!

Yoga is good for your core, plain 'ol ab workouts obviously, but overall... CARDIO :smile:

For lower ab workouts try scissors, reverse bicycles, heels to the heavens, and planks

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    i've had a csection and vbac 18 months appart. My youngest is 9 months now and i'm losing the pooch pretty well :) see profile pic
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    I have had two c-sections and they were two years apart. I have described my tummy looking like a deflated balloon that is all stretched out and wrinkled. I have stretch marks as well, but those will always be there. They may fade, but will always be there. I am not really sure if our abdomen will ever be the way it was. I actually asked this question myself and no one really knew what to say it seemed. It is very hard for me, personally, because I've always had the flat stomach and now I have all this extra stuff that keeps trying to hold on. One thing I've learned is that you can't just target one specific part of your body. Your entire body as to work together to make a change. I have lost over 30 lbs (before mfp) and yes my tummy is so much smaller, but it still has this funny shape to it. I'm hoping that this next 25 lbs that I'm working on to lose will help it to be even smaller. I think we just have to give ourselves time. It has been almost two years since my last c-section and my scar healed beautifully. You can hardly even see it. A c-section is major surgery so you definitely need to give yourself the time to heal.

I wish you luck on your journey to fitness and congratulations on your new baby!!
  • enigma2546
    Options
    I thought it was just me, everyone i know tell me they don't even notice they had a sergury, yet my belly is still numb half of the time and the muscle behind it gets hard and sore most of the time!
  • enigma2546
    Options
    I try not to overwork my stomach , seeing it's only been 13 weeks, once i feel too much going on around there i stop and move onto another workout, I totally understand it took 9 months to get to this point, and it should take that long or longer to start getting back to normal, so i try to focus on my weight loss as my body as a whole ! The doctors stapled my stomach on the left side weird ( my daughter was breech and sat on my left side therefore streteched that side of my stomach 3x more then my right side ) so as i loose weight the skin on my stomach on my left side is simply scary!!! I believe in the whole "stretch marks are trophys of bringing a life into the world " i can deal with the hideous stretch marks i have, extra skin..not much you can do with that, but i'd love to not look 6 months pregnant! Ive been asked how far along i am, & alot of people in my town think im pregnant again because of it :s
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just me, everyone i know tell me they don't even notice they had a sergury, yet my belly is still numb half of the time and the muscle behind it gets hard and sore most of the time!

I was enlisted in the Army when i had my csection so I was back to work and training after 6 weeks. I felt like that (numbness) for at least 6 months and soreness in my scar for a good year after I had my csection although i was pregnant again. Doctors said it was normal. I've had a vbac so i didnt re-traumatize the area.

I know it sucks but chin up and work out. You can only do so much. I've been working at loosing the pooch hard core now for 3 months and it's paying off. I agree with you, stretchmarks are my battle scars!! lol
  • craftzilla
    Options
    Thanks for all the info and support here. I too had a c-section when delivering my second son, about 6 months ago. I still have some numbness and pain....and it's been really hard to lose the belly...so, it's nice to hear that's somewhat normal. Weird question, unrelated to weight loss - did any of you feel "pain" in your c-section during changes in the weather? I swear I do and it's kinda creepin' me out.

Good luck to all you lovely moms trying to get and/or stay fit! It's a challenge, but our kids our worth it! (and we're worth it too. and our husbands.)
  • enigma2546
    Options
    i just get random pains in the incision site that stings and feels like im a week post pardum again, when i bend into the crib to pick up my daughter and when i stretch. I live in a town with a shady hospital so my incisionis site isnt the best, and it parts in the middle where i popped a staple out.
  • Pray6
    Pray6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear from moms over 30 and have had a c-section. I have been working out consistently for 4 months. It seems like the process is so slow. I was in good shape before I had my c-section, I worked out quite a bit, I was pleased with my body but now I feel like I'm working out for two. I do know it will all pay off in the end though. Looking for any ideas, or comments that would help me on my journey!
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section with my triplets and my tummy is the only place I am not losing any weight at all. I guess I will keep 'planking' and dieting and hoping!!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I have had two c sections. My first one started to get better, the belly started to even out as far as pooch-iness goes. But it took a while. 60lbs after delivery and two years to be exact. Then I got pregnant again.....hahaha.. soo now I am starting over, except I started 40lbs less this time. But my goal is to lose another 40lbs. Hopefully. The muscles get all stretched from beign pregnant.. but the only thing I can say is it takes time! Keep at it!

sounds like birth control next time would be your friend to keep the lbs off you for this instance :p
  • Pray6
    Pray6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    It is difficult to lose the weight especially around the stomach area. My daughter is 14months old and I have been working consistently for 4 months. Its like you have to really cut out everything that is fating. I have been drinking protein shakes with berries, protein, almond milk and my African Mango Irvingia Gabonensis which helps out a lot. with my eating its like a appetite suppressor. I was 150 when I got pregnant I am in the 160's. The weight IS coming off its just me watching EVERYTHING that I eat! I hope this was helpful!:smile: